internal crossover on the RM6700 sattalites

Options
biglyle
biglyle Posts: 2
edited September 2004 in Troubleshooting
I have a question or two about the RM6700 sattalites.
They, if I read correctly have an internal crossover at 130Hz, this means all frequencies below 130Hz will be sent to my sub. Correct?

Wont this cause a loss in directionality and imageing when watching movies? What if sound meant to come out of a certain speaker is at a frequency of say, 90Hz. Will this sound now come out of the sub, instead of the intended speaker?

Is there anyway to correct this?
If not, does POLK offer a trade in program, as I was seriously mis lead by the people at Future shop. The problem is the speakers are 6 months old and past the return period.
Post edited by biglyle on

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    edited May 2004
    Options
    you should hook up your sats to your sub and dont use the sub out on the receiver. if not then turn your sub xover all the way up and use the xover in the receiver not sure what receiver you have...but try that out
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited May 2004
    Options
    They, if I read correctly have an internal crossover at 130Hz, this means all frequencies below 130Hz will be sent to my sub. Correct?

Not quite a crossover. They have a high pass filter. They will filter out signals below 130 Hz.
    Wont this cause a loss in directionality and imageing when watching movies? What if sound meant to come out of a certain speaker is at a frequency of say, 90Hz. Will this sound now come out of the sub, instead of the intended speaker?

Provided your system is hooked properly - yes - signals below 130 will be sent to the sub. And yes, this can cause directionality problems, depending on the location of the subwoofer.
    Is there anyway to correct this?

Not really. All sat/sub systems suffer from this to a greater or lesser extent. Placing the sub between the L/R mains, and near the center channel will help immensely. Also, make sure the sub is properly calibrated and not running too hot.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • PanamaMike
    PanamaMike Posts: 3
    edited September 2004
    Options
    These are measurements for the 7600 not 6700. Sorry for the confusion.

If this is the case, how is is that Sound and Vision magazine "measured" the following values for these speakers?

Sound and Vision measurements

I can't understand why they would limit
    these speakers from producing sound below 130hz. Is there some specific reason? Is it due to the size of the cabinet?

I think I was confused a bit by a discussion on another board. The speaker with the issue is the 6700 not the 7600 which I'm questioning.

Mike
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2004
    Options
    The speaker was not designed to reproduce those frequencies. As the good Dr. stated, it's inherent with the design of Sub/Sat systems.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • par-man
    par-man Posts: 14
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Perhaps you guys can help me understand something. This is being debated at another forum and I am trying to get my mind clear on my particular system without any flames if you get my drift.

I have the 7600's not the 6700's
    The satellites (RM4300's) are 90Hz - 25kHz @ -3dB limits
    The center (RM4600) is 80Hz -25kHz @ -3dB limits

I am using a PSW12 sub
    Overall Freq. 26Hz - 200Hz
    Crossover Freq. 60Hz - 110Hz

I have read what you are saying here but I am not clear on a few things (forgive me for that but electronics is not one of my strong suits - for that matter - I do not know why electrons don't just fly out of wall sockets :D )

With the setup I have - does a frequency "hole" really exist?

With regards to the high-pass filter, does that only function if the speakers are run through the sub (i.e. Polk's "preferred" hook-up method)?

Maybe a better way of stating that is this: Would it be better to just run the speakers directly to the receiver and just run a cable from the digital sub-out to the sub? I am really unclear as to how this crossover thing works.

BTW - the receiver is a Yamaha HTR-5760 and I believe I have the ability to set speaker limits - only had it a few days so have not read in depth.

Any shed light would be much appreciated....
    Waiting with sunglasses - thanks ;)
    MC
  • PanamaMike
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Could one of you Polk experts clarify the difference between the:

RM6700
    RM7600

From what I've read, the RM7600 satellites can hit 80hz and are a very nice system.

Mike
  • par-man
    par-man Posts: 14
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Mike,

I have been following the other thread that you posted in - and it was confusing as to which systems they were discussing. The RM6700 clearly states 130Hz limit @ -3dB yet people were arguing the RM7600's shared the same performance which does not make sense to me because the specs ARE different. This is why I posted over here - hoping the good Dr. or another Polk expert could shed a little light instead of bashing i.e. the other thread.

Here are the specs on both systems:

RM6700
    http://www.polkaudio.com/home/specs.php?category=8&speaker=317
    Manual showing specs
    http://www.polkaudio.com/home/library/downloads/manuals2001/RM6700Manual.pdf

RM7600
    http://www.polkaudio.com/home/specs.php?recent=1&category=8&speaker=133
    Manual showing specs:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/home/library/downloads/manuals2001/RM7000Manual.pdf

Hope this helps some - perhaps when a Polk expert answers my post - it will help us both understand??

Mike
  • PanamaMike
    edited September 2004
    Options
    No comments by the resident experts?