I'm faced with a tough decision, and I need help.

Problem is I'm thinking of downsizing the home theater. I turned it on for the first time in weeks last night, to demo for a friend. Would like to sell the lsim's up front. Sell the shot gun s1 speaker cables, 2 pairs of magnum interconnects, and a spare pair of shot gun s2 speaker cables.

The plan:

Move the focal aria 926 upstairs to the theater. Run cheap wire and interconnects for now. Buy the matching center channel. And make room for new focal electras I put a deposit on for the 2 channel system :smiley: ( joey and kens fault :wink: ).

Good move? Should be able to make a decent amount of cash off all items listed. Should cover the remaining amount for the electras.

Man this hobby is addicting.
2 channel:
Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
Theater:
Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    If you want somebody to try and talk you out of the upgrade, you are in the wrong place. Bunch of enablers here...lol Congrats!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Sounds like you've already decided. Sounds like you just have to decide how much you're selling your stuff for.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Sounds like you've already decided. Sounds like you just have to decide how much you're selling your stuff for.

Yeah. It's been on my mind for a while now. Sucks because I just bought all this MIT stuff, a few months back. And the new speakers are single wire, and I have bi-wire, otherwise I'd keep them to use.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mikeyb128
    Ive found a sound I like so much, that the lsim are not cutting it for me anymore. But a hard decision... I wanted them so bad for so long, and they are gorgeous. Still sound good but They gotta go.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Probably a little over kill for a garage rig.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Decisions, Decisions, quite the expensive hobby at that. I bet most people that have a good HT rig and a good 2 channel rig would have a hard time coming to that decision. I only use the HT rig for movies and multichannel playback, it gets a lot less use than the 2 channel.

I could never part with either they both have a special place In the homestead, tonight it will be blu rays or multichannel SACDS tomorrow it will be cranking up the tunes on the 2 channel. A hard decision you got going on there but sounds like you already have a plan good luck with it and if you enjoy 2 channel then downsizing your HT Rig shouldn't be that much of an issue.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mikeyb128
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Decisions, Decisions, quite the expensive hobby at that. I bet most people that have a good HT rig and a good 2 channel rig would have a hard time coming to that decision. I only use the HT rig for movies and multichannel playback, it gets a lot less use than the 2 channel.

I could never part with either they both have a special place In the homestead, tonight it will be blu rays or multichannel SACDS tomorrow it will be cranking up the tunes on the 2 channel. A hard decision you got going on there but sounds like you already have a plan good luck with it and if you enjoy 2 channel then downsizing your HT Rig shouldn't be that much of an issue.

A tough decision it is! In all honesty I think the focals will do a better job at home theater than the polks. The lsim's excell in music, but they never get used for it. My system used to be dual purpose, but now has fallen to only movies. These shot guns are being wasted for movie play back 4 hours a week. Just picked up the Arias so makes no sense to get rid of them already.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I love the LsiM's for HT but that is not what I do mostly. I have gone on ad nauseum about hw much better I like the Ushers but I hardly have a compliant with the Polks in multi channel. I sure would like to hear what you are hearing on the focal aria 926's
  • mikeyb128
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I love the LsiM's for HT but that is not what I do mostly. I have gone on ad nauseum about hw much better I like the Ushers but I hardly have a compliant with the Polks in multi channel. I sure would like to hear what you are hearing on the focal aria 926's

Never had a complaint with the polks till the focals showed up. The mid range, the detail, those tweeters. Man.. They beat the polks to death with detail, imaging and sound stage. The electras are even better. The focals/marantz/sunfire combo will be perfect.

I'm sure there will be some MIT stuff in the forsale section after I sleep on this for a few nights.

I know one thing, is that my dual ultras are here to stay!
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    DSkip wrote: »
    Polk is not a high end brand. Focal, Usher, and others not mentioned in this thread are and take what the polk's do to a new level. The LSiM are fine speakers and fitting for a flagship from Polk. In other lines, they would merely be entry level though.

One is lucky if Polk truly is the end of the line in this hobby. Many here don't have that luck, and while we still love Polk, we have moved on to other brands that cater to yet another higher level of sound.

Polk got me started with a home theater in a box. Even as a kid I had some acoustic research 15's, Aiwa, and some huge fisher towers, all powered by technics gear. I've come a long way. Polk has got me this far. It's hard to let them go.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    edited December 2015
    Skip, I've had over a dozen polk models. Every speaker in the RTI A line and LSI line. I was a brand wh$&re. I opened my eyes and thought outside the box. There is a lot out there. I feel like a baby being all sentimental. Lol! I will keep the lsi fx around though. So some polks will still be in the house. Love those surrounds.

@nbrowser I will keep you in mind as always my Canadian friend.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Once you go Focal, you never go back...

Lol.

I knew that once you had your eye on those Electra's, you were going to own them! Good for you man! I can't wait till I can move up the Focal line.
  • mikeyb128
    Upstatemax wrote: »

Lol.

I knew that once you had your eye on those Electra's, you were going to own them! Good for you man! I can't wait till I can move up the Focal line.

The electras are within reach financial wise, but also a huge chunk of change. For me these are end game speakers. Everyone says that though.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Upstatemax
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    For me these are end game speakers. Everyone says that though.

I'm sure Joey has said that at least a dozen times...

• mikeyb128
    edited December 2015
    He sure has. It was Joey that said go for them and never look back! Hahaha
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I have a problem with not considering the LSiM line as being high end. Though not my cup of tea, I would have no trouble recommending them as something that needed a fair audition head to head with some of these othe brands being mentioned.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Upstatemax
    I have a problem with not considering the LSiM line as being high end. Though not my cup of tea, I would have no trouble recommending them as something that needed a fair audition head to head with some of these othe brands being mentioned.

As with anything audio, a lot comes down to personal taste.

But for me, Focal's entry level speakers blow away Polk's top of the line speakers. Top to bottom; at a lower price.

Again, that's my opinion. Your results may vary.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I am looking at Focals for my car audio needs, but only because Polk no longer has the SR. series.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Upstatemax
    I am looking at Focals for my car audio needs, but only because Polk no longer has the SR. series.

If you can't beat them... :D
  • mikeyb128
    Rick88 wrote: »

Lol.

Agreed!

I love all the same qualities as you and mikey do in the Focals. Another bonus is that as a brand they are a much easier speaker to drive than much of the competition.

I absolutely love my 807W's, they are beautiful to listen too and look at. One day I will own an Electra Series bookie, but for now I am intrigued by the Aria Series. I am likely going to purchase a pair of 905 or 906's sometime in the near future. I want to compare the W cone woofer to the flax cone...

In the next few weeks I will be able to. The Arias are so dam good, Especially at what the walnuts are going for. They shoot way above their price point.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    edited December 2015
    I'm surprised I have any money. After all the-beer-to-audio-ratio purchases.

Edit: spell check can be a bi$&h
    Post edited by mikeyb128 on
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505

Lol.

The electras are within reach financial wise, but also a huge chunk of change. For me these are end game speakers. Everyone says that though.

Mikey - there's a pair on audiogon. 1028be for 4700$ I think.

You better jump on those because I'm getting an itchy finger.

If it wasn't for a tongue lashing from the wife for buying the Boulder without telling her, they would be mine already.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mikeyb128
    Joey_V wrote: »

Lol.

If it wasn't for a tongue lashing from the wife for buying the Boulder without telling her, they would be mine already.

You might as well scratch it with that pair. I just ordered and put a deposit on a pair of 1028be II at my local dealer. I got a great deal. I would have took a huge hit on trading in the Arias. Sonic keeping them. Going to put the 705's in the audio closet for another day. Down size everything else.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Now Mikey you got to stop that kind of talk, I just findly got my dream speakers Lism 705 's now your making me think maybe I should be looking at some focals to see what the deal is....

Cheers, Roger
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Makes no sense to sell the MIT cables, IMO. Continue using them in your HT rig (you will miss them) or move them over to your 2 channel rig.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Joey_V wrote: »

Lol.

You might as well scratch it with that pair. I just ordered and put a deposit on a pair of 1028be II at my local dealer. I got a great deal. I would have took a huge hit on trading in the Arias. Sonic keeping them. Going to put the 705's in the audio closet for another day. Down size everything else.

NIIICEEE
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mikeyb128
    F1nut wrote: »
    Makes no sense to sell the MIT cables, IMO. Continue using them in your HT rig (you will miss them) or move them over to your 2 channel rig.

F1 the MIT are biwire. The Arias and electras only have one set of terminals, so I can't use them. Kind of sucks. That's the reason for selling.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    DSkip wrote: »
    So make one set spades and the other bananas.

I thought of this, wasn't sure this would be recommended, with the network box.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Upstatemax
    Send them to MIT to get re-terminated?

Send them to me and I'll keep them warm for you?

Lots of options...
  • mikeyb128
    I'm hoping @F1nut will step in and give his opinion. Being the MIT expert on here.
    2 channel:
    Theater: