LSi15's & LSiC

Options
Theheadsn
Theheadsn Posts: 413
edited December 2015 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Putting feelers out on these. Just picked them up. They sound awesome, but I'm not sure its the right fit for my set up. I'm not even looking to really make money off what I paid for them. So if anyone is interested, please let me know.

Located in Orange County - CA
You are more then welcome to come check them out if you are local.

Some wear, but everything works great

m5u31wfkroxw.jpg
0ejeeswoxu6k.jpg
7j6aza5ipx35.jpg
Home Theater Setup
  • Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
  • Mains - Polk RTi A9's
  • External Amps - Outlaw 2200 Monoblocks for L/R/C
  • Center - Polk CSiA6
  • Side Surrounds - Polk FXiA6's
  • Atmos - 4 Polk 80F/X RT's
  • Sub - SVS PC-4000
  • T.V. - LG OLED65C7P

Post edited by Theheadsn on

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Can I suggest that you live with them for a while before making this decision?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Theheadsn
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

Yes you can, and youd probably be right lol Need to bite the bullet and get an amp, then I'll know how I feel. I just want these to end up in the right place. If that's with me or with another member.
    Home Theater Setup
    • Mains - Polk RTi A9's
    • Center - Polk CSiA6
    • Sub - SVS PC-4000
    • T.V. - LG OLED65C7P

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Theheadsn wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »

Yes you can, and youd probably be right lol Need to bite the bullet and get an amp, then I'll know how I feel. I just want these to end up in the right place. If that's with me or with another member.

You aren't really hearing them unless you get some decent power on them. They come alive with an amp.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Theheadsn
    Options
    Its weird how polarized the community is with them though. The people the love them LOVE them and swear by them, but then it turns into a pissing contest with RTiA owners on which "sounds" better
    Home Theater Setup
    • Mains - Polk RTi A9's
    • Center - Polk CSiA6
    • Sub - SVS PC-4000
    • T.V. - LG OLED65C7P

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    Per the rules, you must post a price. Thank you.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Theheadsn wrote: »
    Its weird how polarized the community is with them though. The people the love them LOVE them and swear by them, but then it turns into a pissing contest with RTiA owners on which "sounds" better

Not really, for some it's a simple matter of preferences. The RTIA line is more HT with a more robust forward sound and the LSI line is a music first more laid back and detailed sound. Either or can be used for both music or movies too.

Thing for most though is, you can't blame the speakers if your not willing to power them correctly. With the LSI line, your moving up to a different playing field and the associated gear and cables will have more of a reflection on the sound you hear too.

That said, good luck with your sale and please post a price.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Get an amp.....then hammer Dawson's Creek at reference levels!
    It'll put a smile on your face...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    Options
    Can I ask what about them you don't like?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
  • Theheadsn
    Theheadsn Posts: 413
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Sorry for not posting a price :)

Would like to get $700 is possible.

And I was listening to them again last night, they do sound awesome. I think I'm just worried about having spent more money to "upgrade" when in my head it doesn't seem that big of one. Its probably just me being so used to the TSi's for as long as I have been. I think also I keep heating different things from people about an external amp. Some say it wont really do anything, some say itll make all the difference in the world. Not looking for night and day difference (although that would be nice), but spending ANOTHER $500 plus on an amp to be in the exact same spot again, seems wasteful. Then again if I get an amp and sell these speakers, I'll still have an amp, which is good lol
    Home Theater Setup
    • Mains - Polk RTi A9's
    • Center - Polk CSiA6
    • Sub - SVS PC-4000
    • T.V. - LG OLED65C7P

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    I agree with the others somewhat. We all know you need an amp to push those speakers to high output theater levels. Also, setup, room treatments, cables, etc. can make a difference and you should spend some time tweaking them. However, your SC unit is enough to get an idea of the general character / timbre of the speakers. They are great speakers that some love......however If they don't move YOU don't spend too much time with them. There are so many speakers out there to choose from....for sure something will peak your interest and make you want to continue to listen to them......any your in the South Cal CL area....lots of other used stuff to consider.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    Options
    Something just to think about... Electronics are changing yearly. Most AVRs are already outdated so you have to upgrade them often.

Find the right amp and speakers and your set for years to come. So it's an investment.

I have a full 5 channel LSi setup and have for 4 years. I bought all the speakers used and the amp used so they all are AT LEAST 15 years old. Yet they are just as good as the day they were built.

So I bring that up because if you think about the cost over the lifetime of use its actually not bad. Also not a lot changes amp wise so you'd be good for many years.

It's more up front, but a better long term solution...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • seabeerob213
    Options
    Would you sell the 15s seperately?
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Sold my lsi 15's months ago. I am now kicking myself, I wish I would have stuck them in the audio closet to use another day. I loved those speakers.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,338
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I was on the fence about mine for a while but now I am finally figuring them out. These speakers are very finicky about placement and they need an amp that can provide lots of current.

I always loved the mid and highs and the imaging is fantastic. However, the bass just wasn't right. It was very boomy, muddy and didn't seem to blend with the rest of the speaker. This is with the DB840 woofer upgrade too. It helps to get them away from side and back walls. Unfortunately, my room has some constraints which prevents optimal placement. Adding sound panels further improves imaging but not much for bass. Probably need traps for that.

For amplification, I started with my old Denon DRA-835R receiver, which is pretty beefy for a receiver. Next I picked up a Parasound C/PT600 and HCA-800ii that I refurbed and upgraded. There was nice improvement in sound stage but bass was about the same. Presently, I have a Parasound HCA-1000A, that I also refurbed, and the bass improved (better controlled, tighter blends better) to the point that they are keepers. Further improvement was found with switching from a Parasound C/PT600 pre-amp to a PLD-1100.

I still may look for a good deal on an HCA-1500 and need some cables and hope to do the XO upgrade.

So, if you want to be happy with these speakers, get a good amp. If this is not an option, you may want to consider a speaker that is easier to drive.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    Options
    I'm sorry ya'll but the Lsi's are great for HT but so are the Rti's. If you're looking at 2ch plus good HT then flat panels are awesome! I know I'll never own another pair of 15's unless I had serious money just to burn.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    You just got them, you need time to get used to the different sound, and you also need to amp them to hear what they truly can sound like.

Be patient, and get used to them and start saving for an amp, which will come in handy if you do decide to change speakers. How do they sound for music/HT.

Also pull them out a little from the wall so that they have some breathing room.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    I think you are having buyers remorse.

I doubt you'd get another speaker that you'd like as much for $700.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    The lsi15 is so picky with placement. It takes some experimentation. They don't like too much toe in, if you do the sound stage collapses. Mine seemed to love breathing room, further from the walls the better. It took about 150amps of B&K power to get them singing. I pouned those speakers, I never heard any signs of strain from them at all! Ever! They hosted many loud parties at ear bleeding levels. Such a great speaker for the money.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Joey_V
    Options
    Do this. Play just 1 speaker at a time, get the bass right, if it's too close to the back wall then you will have boomy bass or you may have to move it to get it just right.

Play just 1 speaker and see if you liek it, you will have a good idea of the speaker tone and sound when not confusing it with the other speaker.

Then play your current speakers, just 1. See how you like it and that way, you will have an idea of which you truly prefer.

Once you decide on which speaker is better, then you can connect the other speaker to form the pair and work on placement to complete soundstaging, etc.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You need an amp, bro!
    The Lsi Series are good musical speakers. You might be able to find an amp on the used market for $300-$400. Recommend:
    Parasound HCA 1200II or 1500
    Rotel RB 991 or 1080
    B&K

You need high current and preferably 200 watts at 8ohms to get these speakers to sing. Try an amp before any real assessment. Good luck
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• Joey_V
    Options
    Even if you don't get a new amp, think of it this way:

The LSi scales better and you have more headroom for the future.
  • cbow8
    cbow8 Posts: 306
    Options
    selling them? im by fresno
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    Options
    Would you sell the 15s seperately?

Do this, then sell me the LSiC
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD