What's with this new Friends and Family sale?

Options

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    My closest HIFI shop is an hour away. I've been in there a couple times and he seemed real nice and willing to talk shop. If I am buying something new...I buy it from him as he only sells new equipment.

Most of my system is used, however, so I've only made a few purchases from him.

A couple years ago, I called looking for an Oppo 105, and he was asking about the rest of my gear. He stopped me after I listed off a few items, and asked if I was the kind of guy who just used his advice and bought elsewhere. I was dumbfounded and said I buy a lot of stuff used, but when I buy new I try to consider him. He then said he doesn't make much money on the 105 anyways.

You guys are all right about the internet making it tough for B&M stores. Plus, I think most folks who are buying really high end (the kind you don't order online) are willing to drive a bit if needed, so if their local goes out of business it doesn't really affect them that much.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    High end and niche is where it's at for local audio guys. Just have to build up the clientele
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    New24k wrote: »
    You're a dick for wanting to save money...?

Not for wanting to save money, but for "using" the dealer.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • txcoastal1
    edited November 2015
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    Many people couldn't afford the equipment they have without internet pricing. The internet has made it possible for many of us to buy good gear, especially Polk Audio speakers.

I agree but don't gripe if you can't find them local
    Here's another word to the wise. "You can't have your cake and eat it too"
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• New24k
    New24k Posts: 74
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    Many people couldn't afford the equipment they have without internet pricing. The internet has made it possible for many of us to buy good gear, especially Polk Audio speakers.

I agree but don't gripe if you can't find them local
    Here's another word to the wise. "You can't have your cake and eat it too"

Like I said, there are a lot of other speakers the same price and some more expensive that are no problem to find local and audition.

It seems to be a problem with the LSiM for some reason...

• txcoastal1
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Could also make the same statement on several other brands

You have a best buy close, maybe complain to them

Where you located? Let me see what I can dig up
    Post edited by txcoastal1 on

• New24k
    Options
    Anyone buying anything today? lol
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Not yet...getting closer
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    New24k wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    No, your a Dick when you complain about not being able to audition a piece of gear because buying habits dictate that's not feasible anymore.

Want to change that scenario ? Then buy from a brick and mortar store, get to know the people and talk shop. Yeah, it might cost you a hundred or so more, but the benefits are a local shop for warranty issues, human relations and maybe even make a friend along the way, and obviously auditions before purchases.

There are several dealers near me that have a lot of speakers in this price range and even more expensive speakers to audition.

For some reason no one want's to carry these Polk LSiMs...

So you can't hear them.

It has NOTHING to do with buying habits - as a lot of other speakers at the price, and higher, are available to audition.

I asked the polk rep for western Canada why future shop stopped carrying lsim? He said no one wants to pay 3000$ for polk audio speakers when they can buy monitor or RTI.

I asked one of the dealers in my area about lsim. He also said people don't come here to spend 3 grand on Polk speakers, they want tannoy, focal, etc... It's too bad that the lsim don't get as much exposure as they should. They are great for the money. If you can get them at a discounted rate. I payed 2500 for my 705's up here in Canada. Would Love to get 50% off with friends and family but we can't utilize it.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Other than a couple of T's what's on sale?
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • New24k
    Options
    Other than a couple of T's what's on sale?

Not much...

http://www.polkaudio.com/sale/l/608?PageSize=1000

• mikeyb128
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I asked the polk rep for western Canada why future shop stopped carrying lsim? He said no one wants to pay 3000$ for polk audio speakers when they can buy monitor or RTI.

I asked one of the dealers in my area about lsim. He also said people don't come here to spend 3 grand on Polk speakers, they want tannoy, focal, etc... It's too bad that the lsim don't get as much exposure as they should. They are great for the money. If you can get them at a discounted rate. I payed 2500 for my 705's up here in Canada. Would Love to get 50% off with friends and family but we can't utilize it.

Yep, we just get the shaft up here yet we're right next door to the US...wouldn't be that difficult to show us a bit more love than we get eh?

So true ken. I payed almost 30 bucks for a 12 of Stella last night. 30 beige bullets is like 21 bucks in the US. It's depressing really.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mikeyb128
    Options
    Hell I'd love to see the T50 up here...Best Buy and Visions...niether even confirm of the existence of said speaker...then again I've just about said get lost to Best Buy and prefer to shop Visions, true Canadian company especially after what BB did to Future Shop....sad.

The only thing I will purchase from Best Buy is blu Rays. Other than that I shop exclusively at visions. They also refund your warranty if you don't have problems with your item. That bought me my teac tt.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• txcoastal1
    Options

Yep, we just get the shaft up here yet we're right next door to the US...wouldn't be that difficult to show us a bit more love than we get eh?

So true ken. I payed almost 30 bucks for a 12 of Stella last night. 30 beige bullets is like 21 bucks in the US. It's depressing really.

Don't you have Molson :p

• jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I'm thinking bogo on tsx330's for the den.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Any of you all heard any of the Tsx series?
  • mikeyb128
    Options

I'm gonna be honest, I hate Molson! There are many great beers from Alberta and BC. Howe sound brewing company is my favorite.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• txcoastal1
    Options

I'm gonna be honest, I hate Molson! There are many great beers from Alberta and BC. Howe sound brewing company is my favorite.

I don't like Molson either, that was gag emoticon

• mikeyb128
    Options

I don't like Molson either, that was gag emoticon

Was definitely agreeing with you. I'd rather drink my own p p.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    Options

Sleemans is quite good for a budget pick!

Sleemans is a nice pick :smile:
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,430
    Options
    no, but I've always been curious about them.
    when I saw your post I went and looked at the 330 and 440 - same frequency response? can that be right? maybe a copy/typo.

when I had a miserable experience with the RTi10's a few years ago, I was curious to try the 550's, but never got a chance. what little input was available at the time loosely said that the TSx was a little smoother and seemed more musical, but again, this was no official review, just that of another user who'd casually heard both in a shop. When I asked Polk about the two different lines, they told me the RTi was the better speaker. Sorry nothing more definitive than that, but feedback on the TSx seems scarce. I'm still curious myself though.
    Any of you all heard any of the Tsx series?

I disabled signatures.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I am currently running some Fluance bookies in my den that serves as background music for the first level in my home. This background system is becoming a more serious 2 channel system as I don't have as much time to go down the to the mancave. This den system is playing many hours everyday and I have since added My ATI two channel amp and only using the Onkyo Intergrated as a preamp and dac. The Fluance bookies sound fantastic but are of course lacking down low. The space is somewhat limited so my options are either small floorstanders or a small subwoofer.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,430
    Options
    man, I broke down and ordered a pair of the T50's. curiosity got the better of me, and you just can't beat the deal - $160 shipped? (+tax) I'll probably try to gift them to my parents after I check them out, but I'm really curious to see what they're like. I like that they're sealed. after some test measuring, these things are really short tiny, but we'll see. Skip says they're surprisingly good. If they s-uck, I'll Fedex them through his living room window.

It would be a good opportunity to try some TSx's. If you have your bigger amp up there now, and you think you're headed to more serious 2ch, why not just skip right to something real-deal? have you tried your RTi12's up there there yet? >:) they don't need to stay, but just to see how they perform, and how the space works, etc.

how do you have the Fluances set up? stands?
    man, I'd probably go with a small sub if it's just background.
    even though it's fun to take advantage of great deals and get new stuff.
    I disabled signatures.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Sweet deal on the T50's I will be curious to know your thoughts.

The ATI isn't my big amp. I have the 12's on 600w emotiva monoblocs and I'm not moving them...they are way too heavy and the space is to small.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Skip says they're surprisingly good. If they s-uck, I'll Fedex them through his living room window.

Now now...those are Skips ears...and we all know "all that matters are your ears" :p

Jk, ....there was about a half dozen of us listening to the T50's scratching our heads, saying wow what a Big Bang for your buck speakers...yeah they sound pretty good

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Skip says they're surprisingly good. If they s-uck, I'll Fedex them through his living room window.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Still on the fence about trying the T50's. Current speakers in the bedroom are a pair of Canton Qunito 540's. They are older & all original, but I'd be shocked if the T50's bested them. Still, $160 is pretty cheap for something new to play with.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Just a heads up to those that might be eyeing the T series. I noticed Best Buy & Amazon are matching the price from Polk direct.
  • gardenboy
    Options
    BOGO sale on the Tsx550T...2/$500...seems like a lot of bang for the buck. Want something for general music listening, have a Sony receiver 140watts/Ch. Help please. Will I be happy with these? Or should I spend a little more for Klipsch? Anyone have any experience with Klipsch?
  • gardenboy
    Options
    Can anyone also explain to me the importance of speaker sensitivity, and why Klipsch seams to have much higher sensitivity than everyone else? Thanks.