Mark KNOPFLER in concert

Options
Catch it if you still can

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Did you already attend or are you still waiting to see him, his new release has been getting played a lot in our house.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Ugh! Only 8 tickets left here in DC - didn't realize he was on tour. $225 and up! Love me some Knopfler!!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    Last night. Good mix of new and "historical relics" as he put it. Sold out enthusiastic crowd. Lots of highlights, including Privateering, Sail Away, A real special Romeo and Juliet, and On Every Street which he said he played for the first time in 23 years. LOL A couple from the new album, he started with broken bones No Ruth Moody tho. Lol
  • dromunds
    Options
    Mr.Buhl, tickets prices are getting insane. I got 3rd row dead center for a hunny each and I thought that was bad. But they were sweet seats fer sher. I should correct the above post, the song's name is Haul Away, not Sail Away, its one of the best songs on Privateering but I was dictating that on my iphone after not much sleep. He also played Your Latest Trick, one of five Dire Straits songs, including the two I mentioned in the previous post and also Sultans of Swing and So Far Away. Romeo and Juliet was special.
  • dromunds
    Options
    When Mark puts an album out, I usually listen to it about a dozen times before I really like it all the way through, but then it sticks with me. First few times, I like some songs, other not so much, but then they start growing on me. Like you say, he's got a smooth and relaxing style. I really like the Celtic influence kind of thing he's got going on too. He's utterly effortless on guitar in person.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    His latest offering "Tracker" is one of my current in regualr rotation. Very good sounding. This and Shangri La are my faves of recent years.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • dromunds
    Options
    If you haven't already, check out "Privateering," "Golden Heart" and "The Notting Hillbillies," which I have played so many times each its crazy and they've never grown old. I agree re: Tracker and Shangri-La. He played Postcards from Paraguay at the show. I was hoping for "Back To Tupelo" or "Donnegan's Gone," but not to happen. At least I heard "Haul Away" from Privateering which was a treat since it wasn't on his recent set lists. Lol. For awhile, you could buy Shangri-La on SACD for about $5. I'd like to pick up a few more of his SACD's.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Big fan myself too. A hundie for 3rd row center ? That's a steal by any account. Janet Jackson is asking twice that....for crappy seats.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dromunds
    Options
    tony: I'm still living in the past as far as ticket prices. Lol. Especially with The Stones this summer going for well over four bills. I got in for $29.99 on a "Lucky Dip" ticket where you don't kow where you're going to sit until you arrive. I ended up front row bleachers but for that price I didn't care. I guess when you consider how much it costs to go to a football game now, or just about any form of entertainment, a hundred for a top quality concert isn't that much. Heck, a friend of mine told me face value for a college football game he went to last Saturday was just shy of a hundred.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I still hate that I didn't grab Shangri-La on SACD back then. I didn't have an SACD player at the time and wasn't sure how I felt about Mark. Now I'm sold.

Sending you a PM.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed it! I have all his LP's, some on redbook, some on SACD and the others on Vinyl! and I still love Dire Straits 1st LP.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Mr.Buhl, tickets prices are getting insane. I got 3rd row dead center for a hunny each and I thought that was bad. But they were sweet seats fer sher. Romeo and Juliet was special.

Hunny each for those seats is a great deal - of the ones available here - Center Orchestra were the best and they are second level - $450 a seat! Jeeze Louise thats spendy. If I had known I would have grabbed them earlier, darn ticket resellers are murder though!

Romeo & Juliet is one of my fav Dire Straits, Making Movies being my favorite album... I feel the same way - often I would listen to a new one and think, yea, thats pretty good, but the more you listen, the more you love. He has such an amazing signature sound, voice and effortless seeming guitar, but he completely shreds at the same time. Amazing talent!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    Options
    psyched. going 10/31 at a great little theatre. saw robin trower and Lucinda Williams there. got my tix in January I think:)
  • dromunds
    Options
    A small theater is the way to go, assuming they have the sound system dialed in which Mark usually does very well. Familiarity with his catalog is helpful. Have a great time. You can google his recent set lists, or google the tour diary.
  • dromunds
    Options
    This should be Guy Fletcher's tour diary. Hop around to other diaries, he does one for every tour and record.
    http://www.guyfletcher.co.uk/index.php/diary/2015_Tour_Tracker
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    @DSkip you around?? Sent a few PM's
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5