Polkfest, 9 Oct 2004, Charleston SC- be there!!!

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited September 2004
    I would be interested in the RT55i and the Dayton Titanic personally.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2004
    I, for one, would like to hear the Advents.....

I was thinking and RT55i/LSi9 or RT25i/LSi7 comparison.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited September 2004
    Sorry guys, but the RTA 15TL's won't be making the trip. I sold them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    edited September 2004
    I can bring one pair of working Advents, one pair of non working advents ;)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2004
    A large Advent speaker circa 1979 would be the "New" Advent Loudspeaker and not the original Advent Loudspeaker. The "New" was introduced as having "improvements" over the originals.

Troy,

The Advents in Stephie's bedroom are the "New" models. A nice speaker, but different from the original.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • VR3
    edited September 2004
    Which ones do I have George?

www.eandr.biz/Vr3_Home_Theatre.html, click on pictures - scroll to the bottom...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • George Grand
    edited September 2004
    The ones nobody else wants. Okay I got that out of the way, sit back down Sid I was only kidding.

I thinks you have the "New" like my daughters. Kind of tough to see the detail in your images. If there is a kind of gray rubber strip between the outer edge of the grille and the cabinet, it's the "New". There is nothing written on the back by the input terminals? Take a look mon, they should be labeled "The "New" Advent Loudspeaker. If that's what you have it's a fine pair of loudspeakers.

For what it's worth, the original was called "The Advent Loudspeaker". Then came The "Smaller" Advent Loudspeaker, and then The "New" Advent Loudspeaker. No such animal as the Larger Advent Loudspeaker which is what some people call the original.

• VR3
    edited September 2004
    Hey George,
    Yeah they have the gray strip around the front between it and the grill...

However there is not on the back except terminals...

Thanks for the fast reply...
  • George Grand
    edited September 2004
    Then you have the extremely rare and highly sought after "Unlabeled New Advent Loudspeaker". I made another funny!! They're the "New". Maybe the labeler guy called in sick that day.

• VR3
    edited September 2004
    LOL - thank you sir...
  • TroyD
    edited September 2004
    Gotcha re the Advents.....I have a hard time remembering all these details. I'm glad that I got George to keep me straight.

Wasn't there also an anniversary or something edition Advent about ten years ago as well??

Any Appelton's left, kind sir?

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2004
    I'll do my damndest to get there, but with the house going up for sale, and all it entails, it will be a last minute decision I'm sure.

I know you guys are expecting me to sit at a folding table, and sign autographs, so I'll do my best. At the minimum, if Troy has a speaker phone, I'll be happy to phone in, and answer all your burning questions.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2004
    "Audio Chat" w/ your host, the source of all that is holy....... Russman.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2004
    Man, and I just bought a case of Sharpies and a ton of 8x10 glossies.......

Man, you better come. I consulted the flavor or the month chart and I have to switch all my wiring to Kimber. I need help.

BDT
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited September 2004
    As long as you go get your hearing checked I see no problem with the switch...

HK Fooey
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    edited September 2004
    WHats the date/time address????

Pull up a chair and a sharpie for me as I'm sure people would want mine being a cartoon star and all

HK Fooey
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited September 2004
    Please print this out as it's a good shot of me....
    Dan
  • George Grand
    edited September 2004
    25th Anniversary Edition Advents were about ten years ago.

I don't know the Appletons situation at your house. I never made it to the liquor cabinet. It inhibits my stamina AT CERTAIN JUNCTURES, but not all. No shortage of it in my liquor locker though. JStas brought over a tribute bottle last visit.

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2004
    A large Advent speaker circa 1979 would be the "New" Advent Loudspeaker and not the original Advent Loudspeaker. The "New" was introduced as having "improvements" over the originals.

If there is a kind of gray rubber strip between the outer edge of the grille and the cabinet, it's the "New". There is nothing written on the back by the input terminals? Take a look mon, they should be labeled "The "New" Advent Loudspeaker. If that's what you have it's a fine pair of loudspeakers.
    Mine are the NEW Advents with the Utility Cabinet (vinyl coverered)...therefore no gray rubber strip. It has the orange tweeter. The terminal is NOT labeled as New Advent Loudspeaker (see below)...however the original box is. I purchased them new in 1979. If Troy would like to hear them...consider them brought!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    edited September 2004
    The speaker...

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    I would be interested in the RT55i and the Dayton Titanic personally.
    You sir, are obviously a man of impeccable tastes and wisdom beyond your years. The items you mention currently make up my 2 channel music system....and a very fine one at that....IMO. I will be happy to bring them.

• dorokusai
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by shack
    You sir, are obviously a man of impeccable tastes and wisdom beyond your years. The items you mention currently make up my 2 channel music system....and a very fine one at that....IMO. I will be happy to bring them.

That is certainly subject to interpretation, but I appreciate the comment lol :) I think that sounds like a fantastic setup.

The RT55i is perhaps the best bookshelf speaker Polk Audio has produced, from what I gather, and it would be cool to put my ear on them.

The Dayton Titanic also stirs interest, just because it is what it is. A PE offering with great performance, how can an individual not want to hear a catalog offering that actually kicks ****? I am motivated.

Thanks for opting to bring them Steve, I really look forward to hearing them and meeting you....did I say that in the right order? :D JK
  • George Grand
    edited September 2004
    I just went into my daughters room. I stand SOMEWHAT corrected. Hers are not labeled at the terminals as "New" either, but the cabinet front is completely different from yours, having all rounded corners, and the gray rubber strip also. I did not get them new, and the original cartons were not included, but the original owners manny was, and it is The New Advent Loudspeaker. It discusses the availability of yours in the utility cabinet but does not provide an image.

So you can haul yours down there (or up there), but if it's cumbersome, he can hear them next time he passes through Jersey.

• shack
    edited September 2004
    George....you have the NICE cabinets....

adventnice1.jpg

As I recall....It was about $75 more to get those cabs...which was a lot of $ for someone making $850 a month back in 79.

I guess it will be ok to haul it all down to Troys....I'll just need to convince my wife to let me use her SUV. I'll need to be carefull and not speed too much. I can see getting pulled over by a SC State Trooper and trying to explain that the reason I have a whole bunch of audio gear and golf clubs in the back is because I'm going to Charleston to drink beer, listen to music and play golf with a bunch of guys I've never met...

"Of Course you are sir....please place your hands on the hood!"

• George Grand
    edited September 2004
    My DAUGHTER has the nice cabinets.

My first paycheck as a boom operator was in Sep '78. I CLEARED $55 for 4 days work from 11-14 Sep. Do the math. Nice fat paycheck for refueling airplanes at 450-500 mph huh? Almost $14 a day!

I've often thought about what you mentioned about a carload of audio. It's one of the things that prompted me to start keeping a log of every single thing I bought, how much I paid for it, exactly when and where I bought it. One of the other reasons was so I don't sell something for $40 when I paid $50 for it.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by mantis
    WHats the date/time address????

Pull up a chair and a sharpie for me as I'm sure people would want mine being a cartoon star and all

HK Fooey

Sorry,

We won't be having any Rel subs, Transparent wires, Danes, Kimber or B&K.

No HT, no receivers.

Unless you have a new found interest in Carver, SDA, vintage Polk and separates I can't see much of interest for you here.

BDT
  • VR3
    edited September 2004
    I could bring my B&K 2 channel setup! nah...that would be to risky, gear could get messed up
  • TroyD
    edited September 2004
    Bring it if you want to......

BDT
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited September 2004
    Ain't touching that one......
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited September 2004
    SURE!!! No walls to hear the little mewling and whining. And the laws on bestiality are very relaxed around that area, also!;)

(Sorry, I just couldn't pass on that one!!!:D )