can you clear poly over vinyl ?

I biggy backed this question on the veneering thread and got no response. My '78 M7s cabinets are looking a bit tired and what I believe are wrapped in faux rosewood vinyl wrap. What I need to know is can I brush, or shoot these cabinets w/ a clear poly or will this just bubble up and destroy whats left of the finish. If no, what other product could I use to shine up these cabinets. The pictures are a bit deceiving , they are not that shiny and 1 cabinet has a few corners chewed upon and need some sanding and possible filler. Veneering is out of the question, no wood working skills, no tools or space to even attempt such a job. As you see they are not connected because the x-overs are going out to Dave for a total refresh job.of7kh68rgzlc.jpg
4ywpwyglocd4.jpg
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    Poly over vinyl not good idea.
  • I would say no, also.
    Panny 8000 project
    Oppo 103D
    Fronts- Monitor 70's
    Upper fronts- Monitor 30's
    Surrounds- Monitor 50's
    Backs- Monitor 40's
    Center-CS 350
    Sub- SVS PB 2000
    Onkyo 607[back up]
  • my needle got stuck. :'(
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    my needle got stuck. :'(
    Got to let it dry first silly
  • I kinda thought that but the second half of the question stills remains. What other stuff could I use for a little buff and shine ? Bees wax, tung-oil or something really benign so no harm is done.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Howard restore-a-finish neutral?
    I'm trying to remember if I tried it on my 7's
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,512
    How about ????
    header_logo.png

Works great on the vinyl in autos.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    A business that repairs/restores auto interiors will be able work on your speakers because vinyl is a plastic. A better idea, have a furniture repair shop veneer them with real wood.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• After seeing the veneer jobs on a bunch of all sorts of Polks here it's tempting but way out of any budget. Armorall I can afford, and like P-Man says vinyl is vinyl and I just might have some in my trunk and do a test on the bottoms and see if any bubbling or peeling happens. I'm sending out my x-overs to Dave so like many here I'm going way past purchase price and sinking mo cash into them. I think they are worth it. So far $60 for the set,$20 black grill cloth, $48 for 6502 mid woofer I blew forgetting they are not 2Bs but M7s. The thing w/ Howard's is that it's supposed to be soaked up by wood and I doubt that vinyl would either tolerate it or even ever dry and be slippery for years.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    Do not use Armor All, it's the absolute worst product to use in/on cars and has no business on your speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Didn't get it yet. If not that, then what's affordable and will do no harm ?? I know you disapprove of Pledge or most furniture sprays for the bezel but what could be used just for the outer vinyl wrap ?

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    F1nut wrote: »
    ...A better idea, have a furniture repair shop veneer them with real wood.
    That's a big 10-4.
  • Armor All does an excellent job of taking the scratches off the face of your watch. Dab it on, let it dry overnight, buff out the scratches.
  • You dudes want to pay for my veneer job , just line up and I'll take your cash to the woodworker of your choice. What a bunch of putzes.

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    For vinyl protection use 303 Aerospace. DO NOT use Armor All for anything. I have been using 303 Aerospace for years inside and outside my car. The stuff is as advertised and is fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J8NKGSG?refRID=HRXQJWKHRWTKQ59594B9&ref_=pd_rhf_sc_s_cp_7
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2015
    heiney9 wrote: »
    For vinyl protection use 303 Aerospace. DO NOT use Armor All for anything. I have been using 303 Aerospace for years inside and outside my car. The stuff is as advertised and is fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J8NKGSG?refRID=HRXQJWKHRWTKQ59594B9&ref_=pd_rhf_sc_s_cp_7

Never heard of this. But I agree about the Armor All. This product was ONLY useful on speakers that had a hard laminate like that which is on some kitchen counters. Some old Infinity speakers had such a covering. It was not paper based nor a vinyl that could bubble (it did not do that, it was 100% water proof like your counter top-used on a number of late '80, early '90s speakers-I think JBL also used something like that in some lines). Looking at my Polk Monitors, I'd be hesitant to apply AA to them.

H9s suggestion? Have to look into that.
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • This sounds good. I called Audio Classics to see what they used. When I got my Adcom 555 it was slippery clean beyond belief.They said they used Sprayway for years and said it can be used on vinyl also because it has no ammonia in it and the can I saw cost $2.45. Dave suggested Purple Power and said he uses it all the time w/ great results. Guys forget about me veneering the things. 303 Aerospace never heard of it but another choice is good and cheap also after seeing the link. Mean while I did put corner protectors on 1 cabinet that had those chewed up corners. I think it came out ok and again a 4 piece set cost about $3 at Home Depotq3zfqqqa882r.jpg

• I also followed up w/ stores and here's the list so far
    1.Simple Green----Orange County Speakers
    2.Purple Power---- W M Dave
    3.Sprayway
    Audio Classics
    4.303 Aerospace.
    Heiney
    All seemingly cheap and like the doctor's oath, to do no harm.
    Armorall seems to be as bad as the pledge I used years ago and got my hand mightily slapped. Lots of choices here.
    No affiliation to any store mentioned.
    Once all work is done on the spkrs the winner of the cleaner contest will be awarded with a bouquet of flowers.. .....lol lol

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,451
    I was looking at PE & they sell sheets of veneer & i read somewhere here there was a special tool that worked well & you guide it while cutting edges. I see your not wanting to take on the job. Get that. Maybe someone that lives close by you does it & wouldnt charge you. I have some 5's id like to try it on one of these days-just to say i did it & even being not so good with woodwork those little projects come out better than what they did look like. IIRC someone here did some awhile back with great results
    Randy/Maine
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Black spray paint? If you can find it.
  • Randy w/ those corners I put on they don't look all that bad .Just need a spit clean and polish. Jimbo everyone here knows I covet my world famous flat black but not for these, they are not that bad and certainly don''t need the black out treatment. If they were Klipsch 5.5 black ash then maybe I would start shaking up a can or 2... lol