Where Do I Start - So Much Has Changed... Mini Reviews and new/old stuff...

Options
I'm afraid this is going to turn into an epistle... But I don't know where to start and end each part honestly - so I guess I'll stream of conscious it all out and see how we end up...

To go back to the beginning... I thought about replacing my 2b's... FWIW they run on the B&K/Pio Elite combo, the 2b's have always sounded a bit veiled compared to the 1c's (which are on the McCormack and Dodd MLP) - I was even trying a few speakers thinking about replacing them.

But then I got to thinking... though my 2b's lag far behind my modded 1c's, I wasn't giving them a fair shake - so I decided to build up an 800v/a Dreadnaught, upgrade the terminals, SDA cable, dynamat, and install the Larry Rings (I already have for them). I also bought a set of Signal Cable Silver Resolution interconnects from @acsubie. Then a slightly used Dreadnaught case from @GlennDog (and some wire and necessary terminals from @helipilotdoug). I'm 'sposed to be saving for the crossovers... but that comes along later in our story.

Enter @hoosier21 and his offering of the Dodd 50W dual mono tube amp. Could not, just could NOT, pass up the chance at that amp. So first I put the Dodd in place of the McCormack with the MLP. Truthfully, I was a little worried about it running the big 1c's, but that proved unfounded. At least at my listening levels, it seemed to run them without a hitch, and the sound was oh so sweet. I'll say this, without a doubt, the McCormack exercises much tighter control of the big 1c's. It's a much more neutral presentation than the Dodd, and the highs just sparkle. But the Dodd... the Dodd... just sounded so liquid for want of a better word. Effortless on guitar tracks like Dire Straits "Making Movies" or James Taylor "JT" and Eric Clapton "Slowhand" SACD, hell even Black Sabbath "Black Sabbath" or Def Leppard's "High n Dry" the sound is just so listenable. Like the guitar amps are set up in the living room, the midrange is positively glowing and silky, (or FAT and CRUNCHY if the music dictates) though I'll admit; I was still missing the bass control provided by the big McCormack in all that.

So now, what to do? Honestly, I still love the McCormack, and particularly how it pairs with the modded 1c's and the MLP tube pre... and as it turns out, I've been using less and less full HT anyway, so... (do you smell the massive rationalization there?)

I picked up an Audible Illusions Modulus L1 tube pre to pair with the McCormack, hoping I could preserve the MLP for the "Dodd on Dodd" synergy. (Remember that crossover money I mentioned...yea...?) Well, got the AA L1, and rearranged my racks to pair it with the McCormack, and honestly, didn't love it at first.

j1guzk40et2k.jpg

It has nowhere near the pitch black background of the Dodd MLP which is astoundingly quiet. And I thought, a bit tinny to begin with... Being a tube pre though, I did a little of my new favorite past-time, and got to rolling some 6dj8's. It came with NOS Tesla's, and AA recommends Siemens among others, so I rolled in a set of Siemens NOS's I had on hand and - YIKES! Microphonics from hell!! Out come those and in go a set of NOS Amperex Holland Bugle Boys, ahh... that's more like it. Back is that buttery tube love I remember from the MLP, highs are airy and not as strident, midrange authoritative, and bass is surprisingly increased and more balanced as well. Houston, we have a winner. It is still nowhere near as quiet as the Dodd, but it's enjoyable, and has additional inputs so I can run the AudioGD NFB-5 with JRiver ... but that's yet another story I haven't started yet (and won't here).

9euzjbr9kzys.jpg

Sooo - I decide to bite the bullet and dismantle the HT rack and make that side into a (mostly) tube rack. But why just do that when you can spring for something I really can't afford but I've always wanted in "mantown" (as we call it at our casa)... So I had a dedicated 20amp circuit installed and outlets placed behind each amp. Now the amps and preamps all run on the dedicated line, and the rest of the components are connected through a couple Panamax conditioners I already had on a different circuit.

pxjtqq469un8.jpg
q8l689oapmro.jpg

The Dodd MLP, Dodd 50W are paired with my Eastern Electric Minimax CDP, one of my Sony 9000es SACD players, and the Yamaha YP-D6 turntable. I used up all my Silver Resolutions in this setup (see I got around to that eventually), in addition to a SC Silver Resolution turntable cable I had picked up elsewhere and they're connected to the SDA2b's for speaks.

u9uxgapb0f9g.jpg

To make a long story, longer yet. I am absolutely amazed. I LOVE the pairing of the Tubes, SC Silver Res, and 2b's, so it's win/win. The 2b's have awoken from the grave. The veil has been lifted. I don't know what else to say. The Dodd(s) are warm and engaging without sounding smeary or loose. The Silver Resolutions really brought the out the highs and produced much more focus, the Yamaha has NEVER sounded this good on vinyl playback... (I had thought about selling that too...) the 2b's are now lighter and and more airy, the midrange is still lush and delicious, and the bass has also improved with the move to the 2b's (over the 1cs), I believe they are just a better match for the Dodd 50W for whatever reason synergy-wise.

On the other hand... While I still don't love the AAL1/McCormack pairing as much as I did with the MLP, I do still like it - A LOT. The McCormack presentation is still very musical, but so very detailed as to be amazing. The soundstage is ridiculous in width and depth, and the whole package is not fatiguing at all now that I've got the Amperex in there. These dig deep, and they dig very low, but not with an "in your face" overblown bass, more with what I can only describe as accuracy and control. When I feel like a critical listen, this is where I go.

fqwt6r5jrbr5.jpg

So in the end - I have two systems, each with strikingly different qualities, that to quote @tonyb just blow my sack back. I like them both for different reasons, and I find myself listening to them equally, based on the mood I'm in and what I plan to listen to and how I plan to listen. Hell, sometimes I just warm them both up for the day and trade sides - what a luxury to have! I still think I'll keep an eye out for another MLP or Dodd pre - the synergy with the McCormack was just that good - but for now, I've got two great systems, and I no longer feel that one is the weaker link, they're both excellent. I'm mighty pleased.

You guys are hell on the wallet, but you're sweet in the ears. I have never, ever had it so good, and frankly, I never thought in a million years, I would ever have it so good.

Thanks to each and every one of you along the way for your help, advice, questions answered (including previously asked ones I've mined from old threads) with the journey!
VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
SACD Marantz DV8300
Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
Yamaha YP-D6
Soundcraftsmen PCR800
Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
Pho-700 Phono Pre
Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,917
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your loooong story. B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,981
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your loooong story. B)

Agreed!!

Enjoy!!

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,982
    Options
    Nice story with a happy ending...or not. I'm no fortune teller but I see new crossovers in those 2B's. Made a big difference for me.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    LOL thanks gents! It was/is a loong one indeed! And I think you're right @muncybob, I'm starting to save (again) for those crossovers, they will be the final piece... until the next one LOL!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,526
    Options
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    You guys are hell on the wallet, but you're sweet in the ears. I have never, ever had it so good, and frankly, I never thought in a million years, I would ever have it so good.

Thanks to each and every one of you along the way for your help, advice, questions answered (including previously asked ones I've mined from old threads) with the journey!

LOL... I agree.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    LOL Joey - your wallet and mine live in different universes!!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,321
    Options
    Great story!!! I love a happy ( but broke) ending LOL

Nice looking rig also!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    Thanks @erniejade !

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Get those 2B x-overs fixed up, upgrade the rest of your wires, throw in some room treatments, a few more pair of NOS tubes, some new listening material, a new listening chair, and so on and so on!

I kid... GREAT read on your Audio Adventures!

• haimoc
    haimoc Posts: 1,031
    Options
    Thanks for sharing a great story. I am glad that you like that Dodd tube amp. I always remembered this amplifier with its sweet, airy, and beautiful sound when I played guitar/vocal tracks. It is just simply beautiful.
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    LOL @Mike Reeter - I know you kid, but you and I both know there's some truth in that! I'm already thinking about upgrading those outlets just to start with!

@haimoc - truly is - beautiful is a great description. Listened to the "Beatles White Album" start to finish last night. Just beautiful.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,911
    Options
    It's called synergy man, and you found it for yourself. Except you don't get there without trying a few things and keeping an open mind....which you have.

Congrats on your listening bliss.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    Options
    Love Happy Endings! You really can't beat SDAs on decent tube equipment.

Enjoy!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    WTG ED! you have a really nice set up and now you get to enjoy it ;)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Great setup! Wall of sound!!
    Me thinks you need some Atmos
    column speakers/ceiling speakers to cover up those holes. :)
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    @tonyb synergy for certain, there's an undeniable difference as parts of the chain are altered.

@voltz & @DSkip you've both contributed to those racks and my audio love for sure!!

@cnh - it's been a revelation, I really thought the 2b's just weren't up to the task, turns out that it was other parts of the chain that wasn't!

@rednedtugent Thanks! ...just shows you I have the patience of a gnat - couldn't even screw the drywall cuts back in place before I listened! LOL - will make it a pain when I go to finish them up!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre