OK, here's my setup:

Cambridge Audio 640C CD player
Polk Lsi7's
Parasound P/HP 850 pre-amp
Outlaw monoblocks
Hsu STF-2 subwoofer
Signal Cable interconnects
good speaker cables (forgot the brand)

This is a great starter system for me. I'm pleased with it, but of course I'm always looking for a better sound. What should be next on the list to upgrade? The room is 17' x 12'. I listen mostly to jazz and female vocals.

Thanks.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited August 2004
    Options
    That's a nice system, you've put together some great components. Are you satisfied with it? The only thing I would consider is upgraded speaker cable (but I don't know what you have..)
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited August 2004
    Options
    You may want to consider aftermarket power cords for components that have detachable ones.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited August 2004
    Options
    And a better preamp and amp and ... Oh hell just toss it all and start fresh ...
  • steveinaz
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I don't think he wants to spend the kind of money it would take to "upgrade" his preamp...the PHP-850 is stellar, and a giant killer without a doubt...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    edited August 2004
    Options
    What's wrong with the system he is running? Sure, if it were me I'd dump the Outlaws for a single higher-end amp, and I'd dump the sub--but that's being extremely nit-picky and a matter of my personal preference.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Very nice rig, don't change anything.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I'll go along with dorokusai....sound like a VERY nice rig. No glaring weaknesses in any area. If you dig it, stick with it.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by steveinaz
    What's wrong with the system he is running? Sure, if it were me I'd dump the Outlaws for a single higher-end amp

I think that I agree with Steve on this point.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • PolkWannabie
    edited August 2004
    Options
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2004
    Options
    BEER!!!! sheeesh whats this place coming tooooooo.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • PolkWannabie
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Zero
    Apparently so. :rolleyes:
    And yes in this particular case that was the correct choice for me to have used ...
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Wow. A bunch a varying responses. What's a fella to do? I'll repsond to a couple of y'alls suggestions:

1. yeah, forgot to mention that I already upgraded the power cords to DIYers, mostly. Made a significant improvement.

2. I luv the sub.

3. Need to investigate the whole tube thing. Not sure how much different or better tubes are. Gotta hear some more gear with tubes.

4. Better interconnects? Geez, where does it end? Will Kimbers or Audience Conductors really make that much difference? If so, I'll gve it a try.

5. Love them Outlaws. I have a Parasound HCA 1200II (essentially the same as the 1500) that I hooked up for a minute. Didn't like the sound as much as the Outlaws. A bit too harsh for my taste. Put the Parasound on HT duty. Nice.

6. I have a TrippLite Ultrabar power conditioner, but I'll consider others. I'll look into Richard Gray or Panamax (Monster is overpriced). I've been kinda hesitant because I'll be pissed if there's no audible difference over what I already have.

7. Eventually, I'd like to play with changing out the speakers. One day I'd like to buy some vintage Polks. I'd love to hear them.

8. Scott Dixon Tube DAC? Not familiar with the DAC stuff, but I'll check it out.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I will follow up on some of them and post my results.

Final thoughts -- Dammit! I should have never discovered the freakin' Polk forum. You mo' fo's are the reason I keep spending more money on this ****. I was doing just fine with my old boombox when I didn't have a clue what good music sounded like. Evil, I say, the whole lot of ya.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    edited August 2004
    Options
    You have a very nice system here, the next thing to do would be experiment with setup/positioning to get the best out of your system. You should also definetly look at the room treatment as room accoustics are major part of overall sound quality.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • PolkWannabie
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Early B.
    Geez, where does it end?
    It ends ?
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited August 2004
    Options
    For a starter, I think you're right on. Enjoy it, soon enough you'll get the itch...
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2004
    Options
    I agree with izafar on setup and positioning to get the most out of it. I would like to add room mods to his suggestion. Chances are your system only sounds half as good as it could if you have not done this yet. Next time you listen to it try to figure out what sounds are coming from your system and what sounds are coming from your room.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D