Need a Fast Comparison

Hey guys,
I have an old Sunfire True Signature Subwoofer (dual 12's, 1st gen) and I'm looking at an Epik Empire subwoofer... Which do you think would have higher SPL? Lower Freq Response? More Punch? A fast comparison would be great as I'm looking to pull the trigger pretty soon. The Sunfire's amp is out, but found a place that can repair, so either get it repaired or get the Epik. The sunfire I think may dip lower with higher spl, but unsure. I want low, clean, high spl bass :)
LivingRoom
Source: HTPC
Display: GT720 (on the wall)
Receiver: HK AVR1700
L/R: RS850 Signature
Center: RSC200 Signature
SS: Onix Rocket ELT DPA
Sub: SVS PB1-ISD

2 Channel (in the making)
Source: TBA
Amplification: TBA (Integra 2.1 interim)
Speakers: AV123 Onix Rocket Strata Mini

Comments

• nhhiep
    nhhiep Posts: 877
    from my research for the small sealed sub because of limited space. sunfire subs play loud, but not tight. Some compare it to Supercube I and said that even the SCI is tighter. SCI aren't that tight to begin with in the first place. Note that I have 2 SC I and no Sunfire sub.
  • nhhiep wrote: »
    from my research for the small sealed sub because of limited space. sunfire subs play loud, but not tight. Some compare it to Supercube I and said that even the SCI is tighter. SCI aren't that tight to begin with in the first place. Note that I have 2 SC I and no Sunfire sub.

I wonder how it would compare to the Epik Empire though... I get the feeling the Epik is the better route, but just trying to find some input.
    LivingRoom
    Source: HTPC
    Display: GT720 (on the wall)
    Receiver: HK AVR1700
    L/R: RS850 Signature
    Center: RSC200 Signature
    SS: Onix Rocket ELT DPA
    Sub: SVS PB1-ISD

2 Channel (in the making)
    Source: TBA
    Amplification: TBA (Integra 2.1 interim)
    Speakers: AV123 Onix Rocket Strata Mini
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    I have 2 Epik Empires in HT. I bought both of mine early on before the amp issues happened towards Epik's demise. These subs are sealed and have opposing 15" drivers. They will dig pretty good for movies ,but don't expect huge below 20hz. results. There's actually filters in the amp that start rolling off the bass a bit below 22hz. I use an antimode 8033S sub eq and can achieve signals low enough to shake the davenport a bit. Music sounds very nice with the Epiks, but I usually reduce the level to them through the AVR menu not on the sub amp itself. I recommend sub eq's to anyone , they do make a difference. Some who have the newer, more expensive Audyssey circuitry in their AVR probably won't use an outboard sub eq.