BUILDING my new sda srs 1.2tl

after doing testing on trying speaker box sizes for sound and lay out and buying 16 mw6503 and 16 mw6511 polk 6-1/2"drivers and 16 sl3000 tweets 2 new 18" subs that I will be converting to 18" passive radiators and all the good stuff needed to build the crossovers which are a Polk 1.2tl copy but with far better parts also using (speaker on) for my speaker to speaker cross over wire so here is my final design please keep in mine I am building these speaker for me my ears my taste ! hard wood trim is padauk with piano finish front face plate is 3/4" mdf with a glued 3/4" 7 ply plywood for strength the rest of the enclosure will be 1" mdf with full inner bracing also as my picture shows I have changed my tweeters to 8 Daton new pt2 ribbon pre speaker 16 ribbon tweeters total for the set so I will be selling my polk tweets on ebay soon I will be adding pictures as the build goes and a youtube video when done on the full build the driver is a SANSUI G22000 at 4 ohm27vb07fnqyus.jpg
km0sj5onigr0.jpg
hl4a95wlu6u8.jpg
j27mqokbdkub.jpg
8qmnruqdn38h.jpg
hh55yhlthrrb.jpg
yt2z5qr9v12l.jpg

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    I'm reminded of a former member who attempted a similar build. By all accounts they sounded horrible and in the end were dismantled.

Those are not SDA SRS 1.2TL's, so you shouldn't describe them as such otherwise I believe you will be hearing from Polk's lawyers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    How did you tune the PR?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'm reminded of a former member who attempted a similar build. By all accounts they sounded horrible and in the end were dismantled.

Those are not SDA SRS 1.2TL's, so you shouldn't describe them as such otherwise I believe you will be hearing from Polk's lawyers.

Yep, rest his soul!

I'm sure they will sound nothing like a Polk SDA. SDA's are more than just cross-talk cancellation.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    How will you modify the x-over for the cascaded point source tweeter array? How will you tune the passive radiatior? How will you avoid lobing? How did you calculate the volume of the box? How are you going to modify the x-over to make sure you have low bass distortion as well as a consistent frequency response?

There's more to it than a cabinet, drivers, and a copied x-over.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited July 2015
    keep in mine I am building these speaker for me my ears my taste !

Then don't call them Polk SDA's. Have fun, enjoy and document. But don't try and convince these are more than a home speaker brew, that will likely be a big headache to dial in.

H9
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Didn't we used to call this stuff "Frankenpolk" ? LOL

More to it than filling empty cabinet holes with drivers and wiring it all up. Good luck to you anyway, this is how we learn.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,080
    Interesting......
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    heiney9 wrote: »

Yep, rest his soul!

I'm sure they will sound nothing like a Polk SDA. SDA's are more than just cross-talk cancellation.

H9

I saw the ones he built but never heard them. One guy that did hear them said they didn't sound too good but they would pound your chest.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    vmaxer wrote: »

Yep, rest his soul!

H9

I saw the ones he built but never heard them. One guy that did hear them said they didn't sound too good but they would pound your chest.

So big a$$ Cerwin Vega's in otherwords

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Yep, rest his soul!

H9

Something like that I guess. I still have a set of AT15's I bought in the 80's.

Need to haul them off I guess. :o
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Well I think it's an interesting project and will be looking forward to seeing pictures of your progression and your opinion upon completion.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    edited July 2015
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Yep, rest his soul!

H9

Something like that I guess. I still have a set of AT15's I bought in the 80's.

Need to haul them off I guess. :o

I just got rid of mine 3yrs ago first speakers i ever bought and my first loan on stereo gear CV D12's 1983ish first thing i did was take out the tweeter and replace with a peerless silk dome.

• ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Where these ever finished?
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Like an huge asteroid hitting Mars! LOL, your bad :)

DSkip wrote: »
    PolkieMan wrote: »
    Well I think it's an interesting project and will be looking forward to seeing pictures of your progression and your opinion upon completion.

You mean interesting like a car wreck that shuts down a highway for miles due to onlookers?

To the op, good luck, but so many things are going against you in this project before it even gets off the ground. I hope you can defy them all.

POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,069
    OP....I wish you wouldn't be discouraged by the lack of enthusiasm from other more "seasoned" members ears. Do continue with your project please and note the outcome. Longh is right, they will suck to tune in but that's part of the fun. just imagine how they will sound if you do get them tuned! Whew! concert in a box eh? LOL Whether you ever get them to admit it or not, everyone with more than a year of audio exp has tried to build their own. Good luck on ya! If nothing else you'll have a ton of spare drivers.
    Too much **** to list....
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    I would like to see the finished product..
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    edited September 2016
    These would have to weigh around 300 pounds finished!
  • I'm happy that you're having fun. A more useful quest may be to paint your shop including the floor thereby having a more professional work place. I think a tacky shop produces tacky results...just sayin'
    Main Family Room: Sony 46 LCD, Sony Blue Ray, Sony DVD/VCR combo,Onkyo TXNR 708, Parasound 5250,
    Polk SDS-SRS with mods, CSI 5 center + Klipsch SC2, Polk RT2000P rears, Klipsch KG 1.5's sides, Polk Micro Pro 1000, Polk Micro Pro 2000, Polk SW505, Belkin PF60, Signal Cable Classics,Monster IC's, 2 15 amp circuits & 1 20 amp circuit.

Living Room: Belkin PF60, Parasound HCA2200, MIT ProlineEXP balanced IC's,Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Pre,Emotiva ERC2 transport,MIT AVT2, Polk LSI 9's.
  • F1nut
    The OP hasn't been here since last December.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    So I wonder what happened with these??
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,969
    Considering the lack of follow up... I'm afraid not well? 😕
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    Was a disaster from the get go.

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Agreed, but it would be nice to see how far he got, and what they looked like..
  • la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 601
    qu97vlqscs6b.jpg
    After getting some negative feedback, I believe that he went in a different direction...
    l2fkjn32mdq6.gif