SVS 25-31 PCi

scubalab
scubalab Posts: 3,101
Anyone have experience with this model? I thought I read in the Official SVS Owner's thread that ken brydson had one (or possibly a later model). There is one for sale near me. What would a fair price be? What would be a "too good to pass up" price?

My main concern is how tall this sub is! It looks HUGE! Are there any pros/cons to this style vs. a traditional 'cube' shape? Should I be concerned about the age? I believe it has the older Bash amp...

This would be for our home theater (99% HT, 1% music!). The room is L shaped. The main 'theater' is 10' wide x 20' long x 7'-4" high. The bottom of the "L" would be a 10' x 10' bar off to the right at the rear 10' of the room. So, it's about 2200 CF.

Appreciate any thoughts or advice!

Thanks in advance,
-Al

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    I have a 25-31PC+, a step above the PCi model. They are kinda tall but have a pretty small footprint. I love mine.
  • scubalab
    Thanks for the quick response Ken! If I could get it for under $250, is that a good deal? Looks to be in like new condition. I'm sure it would be a big improvement over the dual Boston Acoustic PV-600's that I'm currently running.

Should I be concerned about the age and the amp?
  • ken brydson
    Under $250 is a good price. I've had mine for probably 10 years without a hint of problems.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I love my svs al! It's also about 10 years old. I've had it for 1-2 years with no problems at all. 250 is a great deal. And yes it will destroy ur current subs!!!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • scubalab
    Well, you guys have given me the nudge I was expecting. I'll let you know what happens... :)
  • scubalab
    Picked this up for a nice price today. Hooked it up, but haven't had time to properly set it up. Uncalibrated first impression - much cleaner than the dual Bostons, but a little more subtle. Hopefully, I'll find some time this week to run the ARC and get everything properly calibrated. I imagine it will make a big difference after that.
  • ken brydson
    Congrats. Big as you thought it would be in room?
  • scubalab
    Thanks Ken... It's frickin' HUGE!! But, it'll work fine... I'll MAKE it 'fit' in the space.

I need to get it set up properly, because right now, although it does sound very detailed, it seems to be lacking the 'room shaking' punch I was expecting... although that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I need to re-run the ARC on my AVR again. Since the last time I ran it, I added a 5 channel amplifier and replaced the dual Bostons with the SVS. Any recommendations for settings on the gain, phase, and crossover dials on the sub? It's in the front of the room and I'm running Boston Acoustic VR-M60 fronts, VR-920 center, VR-MX surrounds, and VR-M50 rears.

I don't have an SPL meter. Probably should get one and learn how to use it! I usually just let the receiver's room correction set everything up and have been generally pleased with the results.
  • rooftop59
    Plenty of decent spl apps for both iOS and android. Not quite as accurate as a separate pro tool but it'll get the job done. Basically u run tests tones at a medium volume and make sure all the speakers match decibel levels from the main listening position. Then especially for a ht, lots of us like to run the sub a bit hot, like 5-10 decibels louder.

I think mainly what u are missing right now is distortion. It takes a bit to get used to clean accurate bass. And make sure if ur using ur avrs sub out to crank the crossover on the sub all the way up. If it's still not giving you what u need slowly crank up the volume!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • scubalab
    Thanks for the tips Paul! Will have to give them a try when I can get some time to play around with things. So, set the crossover to the highest setting (120 Hz) and toggle the switch to "enabled"? Yes, I am using the Anthem's sub out.

Don't get me wrong, the total sound is fantastic, and I agree that I'm probably missing the distortion. Don't necessarily want/need the chest-pounding bass. I really LIKE the clean, clear sound of the bass now! I guess, from what many folks said about this sub, I was expecting the walls to shake!

Loving the upgrade so far, and it can only get better once I have a chance to PROPERLY set things up!

Thanks again!
  • rooftop59
    Okay so you just want to disable to sub crossover if that is an option (I can't remember if mine has that option) and then the crossover setting shouldn't matter.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • scubalab
    Gotcha! The AVR should take care of the crossover then. Makes sense!
  • ken brydson
    Some good tips for setup and placement on the SVS site...

http://www.svsound.com/blog

Funny you mention it being "HUGE". The 25-31 is the baby of the PC lineup. When I was running my LS50's as mains, my sub was almost exactly the same height as the speaker it sat next to. I since moved to LS90's which are probably 8-9" taller and the sub doesn't seem nearly as large anymore.
  • scubalab
    Ken - It's a good thing I got the 'baby'!! I think my wife would have kicked me out if it was any bigger! Thanks for the link on setup tips. Will check it out and play with placement/settings later this week.

-Al
  • ken brydson
    Some good tips for setup and placement on the SVS site...

http://www.svsound.com/blog

Funny you mention it being "HUGE". The 25-31 is the baby of the PC lineup. When I was running my LS50's as mains, my sub was almost exactly the same height as the speaker it sat next to. I since moved to LS90's which are probably 8-9" taller and the sub doesn't seem nearly as large anymore.

Doesn't look nearly as big next to a tall tower...

xx1e5jj6t5sz.jpg

Like I said, at 31" tall. The baby. Imagine the bigger brothers at 40 and 46".

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    I don't think one is enough :)
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ken brydson
    I don't think one is enough :)

Love to have multiples or upgrade to a bigger one but this puts a smile on my face...