Polk Audio DB651s Slim-Mount 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers

Options
I bought a set and used them for about nine months with stock head unit on a Honda S2000. The driver side went first. A few days later, the passenger side went. I assumed it was the stock head unit. So I bought a new aftermarket unit. Well, what do you know. It was the speakers. So I installed the stock ones and it works.

Before doing so, as I was removing the Polks, I noticed the driver side had wiring that had broken off and away from the capacitor? I think it's a capacitor. When I closed the circuit contact with it, it worked again. So I can solder that back on right.

On the other side, however there is no visible damage or sign of damage, but it is dead.

Anyway of testing if it?

Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Options
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. You are within Polk's warranty, providing you are the original owner and purchased them from an authorized dealer. If so, contact Polk at 1-800-377-7655 or via email to: polkcs@polkaudio.com for replacement.
    Regards, Ken
  • pacmans2000
    Options
    They are out of warranty. It's a car only used on nice weekends during summer months, so "flight hours" are low (9 months?) but I believe I bought them in 2013. Or was it 2012?
    As far as "authorized dealer", I would assume so.
    How could a dealer procure Polk items to sell without Polk "authorization"?
    But I couldn't produce the receipt if my life depended on it.
    Serial # AA165252086
    Upon further examination, I found both speakers have 3ohm conductivity IF I bypass the 0.2 mH inductor.
    It turns out that the passenger side broke the inductor wire on the opposite side the inductor on the driver's did.
    Looks like the glue holding them to the frame gave way, magnets pulled the inductors, and wires didn't have enough slack, and so they broke.
    So I'll solder, jbweld inductors to frames and give it a whirl.
  • pacmans2000
    Options
    Problem solved. I now have 3.4 ohms on both.
    It was all about bad glue, magnets pulling inductors, and not enough slack on wiring after glue gave way.
    Can't wait to have decent music on the S2000 with the top down ...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Options
    Good, I'm glad you were able to repair the speakers.