Survival/Camping Skills

msg
msg Posts: 9,974
edited July 2015 in The Clubhouse
Any of you guys real outdoorsmen?
I never really learned any of that kind of stuff when I was a kid. I think it's a little late for me to join the Scouts, but I think I'd still like to learn how to fight bears and avoid punji traps on some camping/hiking trips. you know, basic survival and camping skills.

What do you think about this Creek Stewart character? He does that Fat Guys in the Woods show on The Weather Channel.

Any of you Indiana guys been on the show?!?
I disabled signatures.
Post edited by msg on

Comments

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    I'd guess I grew with more basic survival skills than most. Lots of hunting, fishing, camping, and I've done a lot of back country hiking, mountain climbing and camping in my younger days.

I think Les Stroud is one of the best on TV, less staged stuff, and he's a true survival expert. Horace Kephart is a great author on the subject, Ray Mears, Mors Kochanski, all recognized greats. Honestly, it's very hard to beat the good old Boyscout Manual for simple how-to survival/camping stuff!

If you really have an interest, check out this site, they've a lot of work at home "certifications" that are actually helpful and can teach you something (hafting an axe, starting fire, building shelter, etc etc)

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/cmps_index.phphttp://bushcraftusa.com/forum/cmps_index.php

Here's a link for a free pdf download of very well recognized set of bushcraft/survival books.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/content.php?r=164-10-Bushcraft-Books

VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• msg
    man, good info here, thanks!
    I enjoy outdoor activities and pretty handy with tools and stuff, but just never really had any opportunities to learn any of these kinds of skills. thanks for the links.
    I disabled signatures.
  • MrBuhl
    Absolutely - my pleasure. I've got another book downstairs I'll go get the name of, more of a record of a man's journey as you read it, but also ends up as a how-to, one of my favorite reads on the subject - old school 1900's era woodcraft!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,105
    haoysnl7sbxy.jpg

Just so happens I have the ultimate manual on my stand next to the lazy boy Pretty much an outdoorsman or outdoorswoman Bible good interesting read, I highly recommend it. I also am an avid Hunter, Fisherman, Camper, Mountainbiker, love the outdoors.

I keep this book with me pretty much wherever I go on an adventure, I got my Grandson the same one. It's a good manual to have around.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • MrBuhl
    ^^ These ^^ are great if you already have even a minimal skill set - good recommendation!

That other book is Camping and Woodcraft - George Washington Sears. It reads like a novel, but lots of good old school bushcraft tips in it too. Plus I think he's an amusing writer in a very dry sense.

The biggest thing, is to have fun out there!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    I like a nice fire every now and again. As long as a comfy bed is close by. Guess I'm getting old.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    Lesson I learned long ago, the "Rule of 3's"

- You can die from exposure in 3hrs
    - You can die of thirst in 3 days
    - You can die of hunger in 3 weeks

This helps you prioritize if stuck in the woods. Shelter/fire; Water; Food; in that order. Bev & I are big into camping, survival stuff, and preparedness. I'm a firm believer in "better to have and not need, then need and not have."
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,947
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Lesson I learned long ago, the "Rule of 3's"

- You can die from exposure in 3hrs
    - You can die of thirst in 3 days
    - You can die of hunger in 3 weeks
    ."

Learned that lesson too....which is why nowadays my idea of camping is staying at a vineyard.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,334
    I grew up hunting and fishing and spent a lot of time in the woods which surrounded our very small Penna. town. But the only real survival training I got was when I went to outdoor, water and arctic survival training camps in the AF.

They taught stuff like reading a topographical map and using a lensatic compass, making fire without matches, how to make snares and where to place them, how to build a shelter in the woods and in arctic conditions with just parachute materials plus a knife and a hatchet, how to find water in dry creek beds, how to check for what might be edible, how to repair a hole in a life raft, etc.

I would hate to put those skills to the test anymore though. At 21 it was a lot different prospect that at 62.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,895
    edited July 2015
    I am north of 60 and can still gut a deer with just my teeth.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    I've always enjoyed the outdoors, except the mosquitoes. I volunteer with the Scout's from time to time. A relative of mine is a Scout Ranger that runs a camp here in Indiana and I have learned so many tips and tricks just watching how they do things.

As far as the overnight "sleep outside" in the winter, not doing that one... :D
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Three things that are indespenable when in the bush...A good quality sharp knife..a magnifying glass...and some good thread and needle...
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,750
    Did a lot of camp outs when the boy was in Scouts. Loved it but now I'm only into Hotels. LOL
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    Punji traps? Where is it you plan on camping?
  • msg
    Baltimore.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,750
    msg wrote: »
    Baltimore.

Baltimore !!!!!!

You will need survival stills

lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking