What's a good USB A to USB B cable?

Options
124»

Comments

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    But, you are confusing current flow with power flow. Real power flow does indeed flow from source to load. When voltage and current are in phase (resistive load), the negative voltage and negative current result in positive real power flow just as positive voltage and positive current does. For 60Hz single phase, the power pulsates from zero to a maximum at twice the frequency which is 120Hz.

You are confusing what does the "work" in an electric circuit and what does not.

The oscillation of electric charges does not do the "work" in an electric circuit, the net flow of energy does the work. The net flow of energy is directional.

Think of it this way:

1. You are standing on the edge of cliff 2000 feet high. A strong wind capable of pushing your body forward pushes against your back and the next split-second a strong wind capable of pulling your body forward sucks against your chest producing a strong vacuum. Will your body remain stationary on the cliff or will you move over the edge and fall?

2. In the scenario above, is the push/pull effect of the wind the most important consideration, or is your impending impact with the ground 2000 feet below of greatest concern? Energy is not going to be transferred to the ground below by the oscillating movement of the wind, but by the impact of your body.

3. Assume the wind keeps pushing and pulling on your body as you fall to the ground. The wind is strong enough to move your body, but not strong enough to support its weight against gravity. An observer on the ground below the cliff sees what? To the observer, your body appears to be moving side to side (blown by the pushing and pulling of the wind) as you fall toward the ground.

4. While you were standing on the edge of the cliff, before the wind began to flow, someone warned you about the wind and said you should wear a parachute if you insisted on standing on the cliff's edge. You declined the parachute because you said, "since the wind changes direction every split second, a wind pushing me over the edge would be cancelled by a wind pushing me back to the edge". However, the tragedy that ensued in 1-3 above was caused by a misunderstanding that the wind was not a push in one direction/push in the opposite direction wind. The wind was a push in one direction/pull in the same direction wind.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    I think you're asking too much Ray when you ask this "person" to think. I am fairly certain that thinking is well beyond their capacity. Especially anything even remotely resembling critical thought.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    What lies? CBS News? Electrical theory? AQ bogus theory, DK Audio Myth flip/flop? What?
    People post here when they can. Do you miss them?

I am going to play your game and not answer questions directly asked. Until you answer the questions you have been asked in countless other threads, I am going to be a petulant child, JUST LIKE YOU and not even acknowledge your pitiful retorts.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Zero wrote: »
    Y'all be trippin'.

Yeah...so. If you can think of a better pain relief for dealing with trolls, I'm all ears. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    I previously brought this up in the "Bi-Wiring, what exactly is it doing?" thread on May 17 page 4.

Audioquest likes to mix some truth to give themselves a measure of validity with a lot of bs and misapplication of science. We are talking about an AC signal and they talk about directionality. Pure absolute bs.

http://www.audioquest.com/pdfs/aq_cable_theory.pdf
    Directionality: All cables are directional, from hardware store electrical cable to the finest pure silver cables. All AudioQuest cables are marked for direction. With other cables it might be necessary to simply listen to the cables in one direction and then the other. The difference will be clear-in the correct direction the music is more relaxed, pleasant and believable. While cable directionality is not fully understood, it is clear that the molecular structure of drawn metal is not symmetrical, providing a physical explanation for the existence of directionality.

I can answer this as I have spoken to a few engineers who are from Audioquest and a few that are not.
    The common thing I learned from all of them was that the way the Metal is drawn which means if you don't know is when a wire is made smaller and smaller. This process is called Drawn. What engineers have found is when you go with the grain structure, the signal no matter what it is stays in tact, when you go against the grain is when you get fluctuations at the end of the signal path. This is very minimal and isn't always noticeable by the human ear but it has been measured by a few speaker manufactures and from Audioquest engineers themselves.
    Now I look at this as the engineers from Audioquest have a vested interest in finding anyway to prove that their technology and science behind their products. Reasons to sell their products over all others. This alone didn't sell me on Audioquest it was when other engineers who have no vested interest told me about their experience testing their cables and found them to be truest to the signal so they can test their products with measured consistent tested results. That alone still didn't make me decide to only now use Audioquest , it's when I have over years and years of testing cables in my own systems and all the ones I have Installed over the last 16 years , I have noticed very consistent results and other cables I have used did not. Still this isn't the only reasons. Here is another one , no broken cables in all the years using Audioquest cables. NONE at all. I can't claim that of any other cable company including the internet loved Monoprice. Actually Monoprice has the very highest failure rate of any cable I have tested which isn't just audio but video and ethernet path cables. I can't believe how many fail or are not properly working right out of the bag or box.
    So lets say that Monoprice cables are all you need for ones system to function properly and they don't get in the way of the signal anywhere. But if you purchase 10 cables and 5 of them are broken, what does that tell you about the quality of termination? Their QC is terrible I don't care about price I want whatever I purchase to work and work exactly as claimed , not fail hours weeks later at a high rate or not at all right out of the packaging.
    I'll go even further that I personally think that even Audioquest goes way beyond the call of duty and builds cables to satisfy the desire of audiophiles who demand even higher end cables for whatever their reasons are. I couldn't care less honestly they can do whatever they feel is right. Even people who do purchase cables that I would never ever consider ever using or wasting my hair earned money on, think about it before you start bashing , it's not your business. You can disagree with them that you wouldn't use those cables in your system but to sit there and have a pissing match about it is a complete waste of time.
    Being in the business as I'm gonna bring up a lot has taught me a great deal about all this bull crap. I will agree with every single person who thinks most if not all high end cables are a waste of money. The truth of the matter is guess what ? It's very true. Most of these cable companies are crap repackaged lies. I didn't learn this just on my own but again from being in the industry and learning from speaker companies who have tried these unsaid brands and found failures, inconsistent results when trying to test crossovers and driver technologies, testing cabinets and what have you. I have also learned from many source and amp engineers who also when I asked told me about all this bull crap.
    So I don't care what is of the fence you live on this never ending battle but truth be told that so many people have been ripped off from these companies from my point of view. Honestly I really don't care what you think of this info one way or another, I'm putting it out there for all of you to read. Do exactly what you want with it as at the end of the day my system is wired the way I see fit . You wire your system the way you see fit.
    We all on't have to agree an thats ok , if we could do it without all the crap bashing stuff that gets posted around here. It's about as old as dirt itself.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I always wonder why people do not look at their post to make sure it is okay, and then edit it to fix mistakes. Such as messing up quoting.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    I previously brought this up in the "Bi-Wiring, what exactly is it doing?" thread on May 17 page 4.

Audioquest likes to mix some truth to give themselves a measure of validity with a lot of bs and misapplication of science. We are talking about an AC signal and they talk about directionality. Pure absolute bs.

http://www.audioquest.com/pdfs/aq_cable_theory.pdf
    Directionality: All cables are directional, from hardware store electrical cable to the finest pure silver cables. All AudioQuest cables are marked for direction. With other cables it might be necessary to simply listen to the cables in one direction and then the other. The difference will be clear-in the correct direction the music is more relaxed, pleasant and believable. While cable directionality is not fully understood, it is clear that the molecular structure of drawn metal is not symmetrical, providing a physical explanation for the existence of directionality.

I can answer this as I have spoken to a few engineers who are from Audioquest and a few that are not.

The common thing I learned from all of them was that the way the Metal is drawn which means if you don't know is when a wire is made smaller and smaller. This process is called Drawn. What engineers have found is when you go with the grain structure, the signal no matter what it is stays in tact, when you go against the grain is when you get fluctuations at the end of the signal path. This is very minimal and isn't always noticeable by the human ear but it has been measured by a few speaker manufactures and from Audioquest engineers themselves.

Some people think all there is to understanding electricity is current direction and Ohm's law. An electric signal has more components than current, and those other components all have to be accounted for in high performance cable design. For example, the electromagnetic field induced by an electric current can cause inductive coupling whereby one conductor can induce noise in another. That is why twist geometry is important, and that is why telecom companies have invested so much money researching various methods of twisted pair cables for reducing inductive coupling (crosstalk). Insulation can absorb and spuriously release energy. That is why careful selection of dielectric materials is important.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    wasting my hair

Freudian slip?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    Options
    Is this thread even about a good USB cable anymore ? lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    [
    So the question has been answered.

How so ? You quoted Dans rant but both of you fail on the experience side. Dans argument is "because someone told him " ? Which is also your argument. You read somewhere....so it must be true.

I can find anything on the internet to justify pretty much anything I want to believe....and that's your stance, because you have zero experience with better audio and need to vilify why you don't want to go there.

Instead of just admitting your lack of experience, and saying your opinions are only based on what experience you do have, you seemed to be more arrogant because you have a degree in something that is pretty much useless in audio. Why ? Because audio, is enjoyed with our ears, not degree's on printed paper or nameplates on gear. Being an EE grants you no more audio knowledge that a guy who flunked out of 8th grade. Maybe the guy with a lack of education spent the next 20 years in audio.....learning, experiencing, exploring new things. His opinion would mean worlds more than an EE with next to nothing in experiences.

Do you not get that ? Did you not say cable threads are boring ? Yet your main gig is posting in them. Everything on forums is based on how you phrase your posts. You come off as your church of audio cables is the only correct one. If you instead phrased them to say something like...."In my limited experiences" or "Just my opinion but..." people wouldn't be so confrontational with you and a few others. It would also help to answer questions posed to you.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    5dfep6d4xspa.jpg

Only 19 more dollars than a Belkin and the improvements are already noticeable were talking 19 dollars here folks.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    5dfep6d4xspa.jpg

Only 19 more dollars than a Belkin and the improvements are already noticeable were talking 19 dollars here folks.
    It's because that cable is built correctly to USB standards and Audioquest pay close attention to every last detail even at the Forest level. The Forest level cables across the board are fantastic cables and are built to perform to spec.
    At this level there is very little to be gained going up the chain, I have learned that first hand.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    Options
    Woah. I've got a few comments to catch up with in this thread. It's been a busy summer and I haven't been around for a little while.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's