Paradigm speakers

Options
boston1450
boston1450 Posts: 7,472
edited June 2015 in Speakers
So i stopped to look for albums at local Goodwill & low & behold there is a pair of minty Paradigms Monitor 7's w/paperwork. I really dont need speakers but i recall my old pair of 7seMk3's (i think) how they sounded. So it ate at me while i looked at vinyl & said 100.00 wife is gonna kill me. So after 10%discount n tax 94.00 out the door. I get home & the Mrs's was cool. I hooked them up & listened to Rush Moving Pictures & was blown away. They seem to have some good/not so good reveiws. I am using the Onyko mini receiver i have & love 2/1 with new Polk sub for TV. I was using beautiful Advent Baby2's which are sweet IMO... I found the tweeters to stand out very nicely & bells n chimes sound soso good. Mids didnt seem too bright. I found the bass to be better than what i read from other reviewers i read-although im no bass head banger. So the Paradigm Monitor 7's i find are a sweet speaker. I do believe i need to upgrade the receiver for a few more pony's. . Dont hesitate to give them a listen to if you ever see them at decent price
Randy/Maine

Comments

• Sci-fi Polk Guy
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    So i stopped to look for albums at local Goodwill & low & behold there is a pair of minty Paradigms Monitor 7's w/paperwork. I really dont need speakers but i recall my old pair of 7seMk3's (i think) how they sounded. So it ate at me while i looked at vinyl & said 100.00 wife is gonna kill me. So after 10%discount n tax 94.00 out the door. I get home & the Mrs's was cool. I hooked them up & listened to Rush Moving Pictures & was blown away. They seem to have some good/not so good reveiws. I am using the Onyko mini receiver i have & love 2/1 with new Polk sub for TV. I was using beautiful Advent Baby2's which are sweet IMO... I found the tweeters to stand out very nicely & bells n chimes sound soso good. Mids didnt seem too bright. I found the bass to be better than what i read from other reviewers i read-although im no bass head banger. So the Paradigm Monitor 7's i find are a sweet speaker. I do believe i need to upgrade the receiver for a few more pony's. . Dont hesitate to give them a listen to if you ever see them at decent price

I feel ya. I own the 7seMk3's big brother, the 11seMk3. I use a Yamaha RX-A1000 as a pre, coupled with a Parasound HCA 1205A, which provides them with plenty juice. Sweet!! (I recently upgraded from Audioquest Evergreen to Straightwire Encore IC's. Much better!!)
    Paradigm 11seMkIII mains, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
    Paradigm CC 450 center, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
    Polk Audio RTi6 surrounds
    Paradigm SE sub
    Sony BDP S5100 blu-ray player
    Panasonic 50" plasma
    Yamaha RX A1000 receiver
    Parasound HCA 1205A amp
    Audioquest Evergreen IC's
  • boston1450
    Options
    Those 7seMk3 are one sweet speaker there. Gosh i miss those. They sound awesome & i could sit there n listen & watch them for hours. If the 11's are anything like the 7's oh my. Pure heaven
    Randy/Maine
  • Sci-fi Polk Guy
    Options
    IMHO, the midrange and highs are the best features of the 11seMk3. Give a listen to "Chant" and "Max-O-Man" by Fourplay. Awesome. BTW, the bass in the 11seMk3's is great; it's just that the upper end is much better than the bass.
    Paradigm 11seMkIII mains, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
    Paradigm CC 450 center, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
    Polk Audio RTi6 surrounds
    Paradigm SE sub
    Sony BDP S5100 blu-ray player
    Panasonic 50" plasma
    Yamaha RX A1000 receiver
    Parasound HCA 1205A amp
    Audioquest Evergreen IC's
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    I think for the money , you did great__ there Randy! Enjoy!
  • boston1450
    Options
    They sound very nice on action movies on Netflix with the little small RM Polk subwoofer. I really love HT but the Mrs's doesnt like loud action movies. I need a second living room :smile:
    Randy/Maine
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    They sound very nice on action movies on Netflix with the little small RM Polk subwoofer. I really love HT but the Mrs's doesnt like loud action movies. I need a second living room :smile:

My world also, the Mrs. hates loud movies. My argument is she never complains when we go to the theatre. I'm just trying to re-create the experience.

She doesn't buy it though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • boston1450
    Options
    I was watching a movie earlier & there was a scene where helicopters were in it in background & i had to shut tv off & see if it was here lol. Sounded very real :)
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    Put some Paradigm spikes on the 7's this afternoon. Brought them up 1/4 inch off carpet & improved the base more. Been playing around with settings on receiver to get it zero'd in. Getting some outstanding bass out of these with the little Onkyo r805x mini receiver. Would love to hear these speakers on a high end int amp with 60-100wpc with adjustable bass/treble controls & sub out.
    Randy/Maine
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Why don't you hook them up to that silver Monster Yamaha AVR and the 15" sub you used to have? Or did you get rid of those?

I was just watching a rental on big Onkyo TX-SR 805 and Polk M 70 series with accompanying surrounds, 12" sub, etc. Jupiter Ascending, good sound, good special effects, story-so so...bit weak on the ending. Not sure what Mike LoKeiko would give it. I'll say 2.5/5-gets marks for the action scenes mostly.

Enjoy!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • boston1450
    Options
    Did away with 5/1 temporarily. Just using 2/1 right now. I sold off the 87lbs sub. Didnt need a sub with the SDA's & too big. Placement was a issue Cnh. I am enjoying these but im doing them no justice with this little 2channel receiver. Maybe down the road i may look into a new Rotel Yammy or Teac 60+wpc w/sub out, to give it some better power. Im running this little receiver at 10-11 on dial & its working hard & i know the speakers are starving... I really like the mini Onkyo & space wise & performance is amazing. Just not enough umphhhh
    Randy/Maine
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    94 bucks, nice!
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    Options
    You sure do come across some killer deals

thumbs-up1.png
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • boston1450
    Options
    Thanks i am enjoying the little guys. I got rid of the Onkyo & using a Pioneer vsx80wpc now & it is doing much better now. Gotta learn the settings now. Its kinda fun & once you read & learn the right way to use a HT unit it pays off with your ears :smile: i would love to go overboard on HT but my wife could care less
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    Got some time to get everything set up to my likes today. Subwoofer is up n running. Got the speakers 6ft apart & toe'd to sweet spot & my nos spiked polk rm mini sub is adjusted to a tab bit of bass where i like it. The tweets are clean crisp with cymbals & chimes/bells. Mids are good. Guitars sound sweet. Listening to Rush & Geddy's vocals are nice. Bass on the speakers are right perfect (even with reading bad reviews & without sub) Watched part of Chinese Zodiac with action & it sounded pretty good. Now time to enjoy them ;)
    Randy/Maine