JRiver - edjumicate me here

Options
EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
edited June 2015 in Going Digital
I'm debating wading into the deep waters of JRiver. I currently use MediaMonkey for library management and playback and occasionally XBMC.

What I'm looking for and I believe JRiver lets you do is the following:

-Playback Control via JRemote using a cheap Android tablet ala @DSkip - this removes my need to program my harmony one to work with my HTPC (which is does to some small extent).

-Room Correction - haven't dived too deep into this, but my understanding is you can apply digital room correction and still send the audio out "bit-perfect" over USB/Coaxial

-Potential for remote volume - I'd LOVE to be able to control volume with the tablet and bypass a pre-amp at all and go direct from my DacMagic to my amp

-Stream my files from home to my phone (or the aforementioned tablet) using the JRemote app to listen to them at work - I'm not sure if this is possible, but I swear I heard it can do that....

So all you JRiver folks... edjumicate me on JRiver......

Links or impressions appreciated.

I'm currently digesting this article: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/436-jriver-media-center-17-detail/
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    As I stated in my email, reach out to user "desertdome" on the AVS Forum. He helped do the configuration of JRiver for DLBeck's The Savoy theater and has helped many members from the Omaha/Kansas City/Des Moines areas dial theirs in soup to nuts.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    Options
    Dan,

I've been using the Gizmo app for the RC. I don't have any interest in phone audio, but I think with it you can do that remote streaming thing with Gizmo.

My memory is that the Gizmo is free and the JRemote cost a little bit.

For me, the big deal was that using JRiver allows me to have a normal computer in the back room streaming to my Oppo in the audio system. No need to spend the extra money for a quiet computer which (to me) means long term cooking of the MB. Key to this remote setup though is the Gizmo acting as the remote control.

JRiver is deep and has lots of possible functions. I've not used it enough to put that kind of time in it. So I'd have an idea of where I want to go with it for overall function, then work at those details and try to not lose focus on those needs. Easy to get off track with tons of different possibilities.

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Thanks for that Mark! I think in doing some reading in that article I "might" be able to eek it all out of JRiver....

If I cant stream my music to my phone no biggie, I have most of it (albeit compress) on my iPhone, but was curious.

I'm more focused on using it to control playback & volume without suffering significant audio degradation.

And obviously if I can get it to bypass the pre-amp entirely that would be super cool too..
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    ^Thanks Skip.

For my 2 channel setup, the computers in there and fairly quiet with its 5 Notcua 120mm fans so that wouldn't be a problem.

If I decide to use it to kill my Squeezebox downstairs with, I'd NOT want any of the DSP settings to apply since the EQ and DSP would be setup for my other setup.

So I guess here is what I want to make sure I'm understanding.

1. Install JRiver on the computer
    2. Install JRemote on a iOS device
    3. Control the JRiver playback on the computer with said iOS device

Then this is what may be fun

4. Setup my WD Live TV to see Jriver on the computer
    5. Take control of my downstairs setup using the same tablet and JRemote...

Is that possible?
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    Options
    So I guess here is what I want to make sure I'm understanding.

1. Install JRiver on the computer
    2. Install JRemote on a iOS device
    3. Control the JRiver playback on the computer with said iOS device

Yessir, it works really well and I know you can control volume via the remote app. What I don't know is whether or not doing so decimates dynamic range.

Then this is what may be fun

4. Setup my WD Live TV to see Jriver on the computer
    5. Take control of my downstairs setup using the same tablet and JRemote...

Is that possible?

Should be no problem provided everything is on the same network.
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Jeez bro, come out and bash my recent build outright why don't ya? :'(;)

Ha..ha...ha... Not at all pointed at you Skip. Hadn't seen anything on your build.

It's just when I think of some folks (less bright than the folks around here) and the attempts at "quiet" computers, I tend to think of somebody throwing a heavy blanket over a conventional box. I knew Dan had done it much better than that and I'm sure you did too!

But all the speed increases they've managed to get us in the dits and dah world, tends to come at the cost of heat. Dealing with it half arsed can get you buy a machine for a while. But if you want a long term machine, you really have to get it outta there! I've changed out too many regular machine MB's to really think many commercial products even do it well enough.

I guess that's one thing the gamers have helped produce the technology on for others. Good cooling avenues.

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    CoolJazz wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    Jeez bro, come out and bash my recent build outright why don't ya? :'(;)

Ha..ha...ha... Not at all pointed at you Skip. Hadn't seen anything on your build.

It's just when I think of some folks (less bright than the folks around here) and the attempts at "quiet" computers, I tend to think of somebody throwing a heavy blanket over a conventional box. I knew Dan had done it much better than that and I'm sure you did too!

But all the speed increases they've managed to get us in the dits and dah world, tends to come at the cost of heat. Dealing with it half arsed can get you buy a machine for a while. But if you want a long term machine, you really have to get it outta there! I've changed out too many regular machine MB's to really think many commercial products even do it well enough.

I guess that's one thing the gamers have helped produce the technology on for others. Good cooling avenues.

CJ

HEHE... yeah Skips entire small case is basically a heatsink. So the CPU cooler connects directly to the case and used it and its heatsinks...

My old build your talking about worked great and this new one has 4 120mm case fans, the PSU fan and then the CPU fan. All running ~1000 rpm and since they are pricey fans (Noctua or Sycthe) they are almost inaudible running unless you are right up on them, and provide enough airflow to keep everything nice and cool inside.

Anyway I'm thinking I will take the JRiver plunge later this month. I'm going to spend on some 4 TB HDD's for my build first, then some outdoor rated Cat6 cable so I can run drops to my office x2, Skyes bedroom, Kido #2's bedroom, and the HT and hardwire everything.