B&K PT5 On Da Way!

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,040
edited August 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Paul just shipped out my last upgrade (for now), the B&K PT5. I can't wait to test this thing out. Very high expectations here!

Should be here Tuesday!

Thank ya Paul!

- Trey
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Very high expectations here!

Hi Trey. I'm sure the NAD vs B&K pre will be an interesting and fierce battle there. Remember not to let the names sway you one way or the other and give your honest opinion.

Just wanted to let everybody know that Trey has earned OUTSTANDING credit with me. I have really been impressed with his owning up to his "word" in sending me money when he said he was going to send it. Needless to say, I've been really impressed with the young guy and how he has worked so hard this summer (at minimum wage too) to purchase some nice separates and new speakers as well. I deal with adults everyday that I cannot say this about.

Keep it up Trey. Hard work and honesty will reward you well in life.
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by pjdami
    Hard work and honesty will reward you well in life.

Very true
    Graham
  • VR3
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Hey Paul,

I will try my best to not let the names sway me. I will have to manually plug them up, so I can't exactly do this. But I will try to be as un-biased as I can. I like the NAD, so atleast that is a starting point ;)

Thanks for the kind words. I also must add, Paul has been really understanding with me and the payments as well. There have been a view bumps in the road with my gear that has needed repairs and Paul has understood and let me fix, so I have to really thank him for that.

Also must thank him for trusting me to send first, and let me pay as it comes.

Tuesday is gonna be FUN....muahahha, Hopefully UPS will come early and not at 7PM...hehe

- Trey
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pjdami
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Paul just shipped out my last upgrade (for now)

Trey, when all the dust settles in a few months from your spending spree this summer, I highly recommend some nice $50 interconnects like the Signal Cable for your system. Also the stock power cord on the PT5 isn't much to write about but Audioquest and PS Audio make nice C5 power cords that you can try. A magic powercord or a DIY DH Labs would be killer for the amp. Finally, you should also eventually invest in a decent power conditioner / surge protector to protect your gear.

Just my opinion here, but stuff that has worked out for me and you'll have some time to collect some money and do these things when you are ready.

As you are findiing out at an early age.. it never does quite end.
  • VR3
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Hey Paul...

I heard Signal Cable are bright -- so I dont know about that.

I wanna see how those MIT ICs are. If I like em, I'll have to find me a pair! :D

The Magic PC -- I think I am next in line for it to test out, so I think it was -meant-to-be- hahhaa

Power Conditioner, does it really make a difference in the overall sound as a whole? We don't get alot of power surges around here...

Nope, never does end...LOL - but I wont mind a LONG break ;) - My wallet wouldnt mind one either...hehe

- Trey:D :p
  • VR3
    edited August 2004
    Options
    The B&K arrived!

Perfect condition as described. One question though, do you have the FM antenna?? lol - kinda hoping for one! lol! If not, thats ok...

Anyway, this thing is a BEAUT dude, very very nice!

Well I plugged it up and didnt get alot of volume, so I stepped back and punted and plugged it up again and got it right. But now I gotta figure another problem out but that is for later.

Ok, first impressions...

This thing sounds ALOT like the NAD. There are very small, but noticeable differences.

1) The bass, the bass is ALOT more transparent, yet keeps the force. It dosn't sound bloated or over-bearing. GREAT improvement! Very articulate bass, this stomps the NAD, HANDS DOWN.

2) The soundstage, it sounds more 'realistic', and dosnt throw the sound to the back as much as the NAD did. It also seems to sound wider than the NAD, however this is up for debate.

3) The detail and transparency of the music, the music dosn't sound as congested as the NAD did...however this is ALSO up for debate.

4) The highs, the highs are incredibly unforgiving, although this isn't such a bad thing. I have learned to appreciate this as a whole. It isn't really sibilance but more or less, the recording, yet isn't an attention grabber either.

5) drums, the drums sound alot different on the B&K than the NAD, but this is ALSO up for debate...

Will report back after I get in a week or two of listen time, etc -- but so far I like it....

Can't wait to program the start up screen to say Vr3 Home Theatre ;)

Anyway, thanks Paul! I like it alot!

- Trey
  • pjdami
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Trey,

The FM dipole antenna should be in the box buried in the peanuts somewhere. I remember packaging it. The tuner on the PT5 isn't the greatest though.

Glad it got to you in good shape.

Paul
  • VR3
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Hey Paul,

Thanks for the fast reply man! I can pick up one station without the antenna, must be something about the stations because all of my tuners pick it up! But the tuner seems to be alot better than the NADs too, so it is good to me! LOL! -

I plugged up the antenna and I can pick up some of the main stations I listen to, one station is hard to pick up (an old rock station) and I couldnt pull it in, but that was expected...

I will go look for the antenna now! I will post pics this weekend when I go back to my Dad's house...

- Trey
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Try rabbit ears from RS for less than $10. They work fine for an indoor antenna.
  • VR3
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Just listening to a few CDs here.

My system is about as far as it can go until the system itself it overkill for its own good.

The B&K preamp sounds great, it really does. But the preamp itself on some CDs sounds REALLY dry, however that isn't such a problem since I have bright speakers.

The other thing is, this thing is making these speakers want a MUCH larger room, before they wanted a large room, but now it is even more apparent. I would love to take the system to a larger room for a day to see what it can do (I may just do that).

However, with the B&K - the BP10B have dynamics the NAD ever showed the ability to bring. It also stays extremely clean (which is why it sounds, dry (or sterile) to me -- the drums on the NAD and B&K are very different sounding. Still trying to figure it out...

The vocals on the B&K are 100% better, more detailed, much better.

The guitars are about the same, the NAD may even have a step up there in some respects. The thing that I am still listening for is soundstage. The B&K is wide sounding, but the depth of the soundstage although there, seems limited.

So the next few days will be focused on the soundstage and seeing what is there and what isnt.

The B&K though is a large improvement, on some CDs. While just a minimal improvement on others.

Looking forwards to trying it out more.....

I think throughout the year, if I really like the B&K that I will be forced (hehe) to buy a B&K HT preamp, DD and DTS of course (about tired of pro logic). Probally will have to do it, just knowing me. But it won't be my main priority.

- Trey
  • VR3
    edited August 2004
    Options
    No kidding eh...

Now does ANYONE have an idea how to plug up two preamps, yet only use one at a time?

I tried a y splitter but lost any and all volume...
  • VR3
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Does this B&K have a 'direct' switch somewhere? Anywhere?

Curious...

- Trey
  • VR3
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Well I have been playing music about all day.

Between Dream Theater and Tatu (very familar cds to me with pretty good SQ, especially Tatu)

It was very apparent that the B&K/Definitive combo offered a much more precise soundstage from front to back, side to side than the NAD/B&K/Definitive. It definetely can lay out instruments with more than adequate seperation between them - it also dosnt send alot of stuff to the back like the NAD did, I mean guitars were sometimes even in the back (dont think so) --- So that is definetely a plus.

The B&K as I mentioned above in an earlier post has ALOT more accurate bass, Tatu's CD pointed this out the most, yet also showed me that it can boom when it has to with Korn - Follow The Leader.

The vocals are definetely more articulate, with alot more texture and depth and seperation from the drums.

That is another thing, the drums are ALOT more natural, in the snare, and cymbals. After 3 years I have finally had a system that can make drums sound like freakin drums! The snare sounds very neutral and flat, not springy and like a tin can... very very nice, and the cymbals and rides remind me of how the RT5 did them, but with a tad bit more clarity and seperation.

The RT5 and the BP10B produce the acoustic guitar about the same, and the RT5 probally goes a step beyond it in this area, the RT5 was amazing in this area! But the BP10B does it great as well...

There is one down side to the B&K that I will enjoy fixing, it is really showing the down sides to my CD player --

Any ideas? I am looking for a silver CD changer (5 disc)

Rotel's 5 disc changer is definetely an idea....hmmm but this will be later.....

Bah nah nah

Sid 'Digging The Rig' Kid

Also, I will post pictures of the setup when I go to my Dad's tommorow......
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Sounds cool. Glad to hear you're enjoying the new toy. I like the mini reviews. Nice to write about different things as you encounter them.

Maurice
  • VR3
    edited August 2004
    Options
    yeah I figure yall would much rather read updates than a long review of my opinion ;)

But I like it so far, just gotta find a better source...hmmm