Getting old

Comments

• chefkungfu
    chefkungfu Posts: 638
    Thanks vmaxer!! 7#'s 1 oz!

vmaxer wrote: »
    chefkungfu wrote: »
    I'll be 41 in December.... As I write this, I'm in the maternity unit with my wife of 15yrs, she's going to give birth to our 2nd child!! My son is 2.5yrs and my daughter will be here in the early hours!!!! Life is just starting!!!!!!
    Frank.

Congrats!!

SRT Seismic System with dual PSW1200's
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • chefkungfu
    chefkungfu Posts: 638
    Happy Birthday Joey!
    Enjoy these young years to the fullest!
    Frank.
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Arguably, the most precious thing in life is time.

33 is getting old. I always joke about how I'm getting old but today is the first time it really hit me.

Time flies and things just happen so fast. A year goes by, weeks just fly, and the days seem to steamroll right through.

Even a decade just seems to come and go. I've been with my wife since high school and I've known her for half my life already. My kid just turned 1 and by the time she drives I'll be 48.... Sigh.

It's like that shield of invincibility that we all know so well back during our college days just wears off someday and you try to hang on to what's left of it but you know you can't, the armor fades and you inevitably age.

I'm not posting this because it is my birthday. I am posting this because I wish I could just slow time down (or atleast the perception of it).

Just a vent. Thanks for listening fellas.

SRT Seismic System with dual PSW1200's
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    And you have to go pi** every hour, can't read a asprin bottle without glasses, and you have to have someone call your phone so you can find it!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    I'm 76, and life's great!! I've looked back and got scared...
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Ha...you old farts crack me up. Truth about age though is sometimes funny. I've come to really like the age I'm at. No more burning that candle at both ends. No more 3 hours of sleep.

At 33 though ? Man Joey....if your feeling old now, your going to be George Burns by the time your 50.

Stop thinking about it. Live your life and don't sweat the small stuff. It's a great ride, like a roller coaster, full of ups and downs and twists and turns. Just try not to puke on the people behind ya.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited May 2015
    Im over 50 & i dont care LOL. I listen to weird old music & my wife 42 & youngest daughter 19 make fun of it way too much. So - Clapton Floyd A Bros J.Cash J Brickman & all other great groups of the day i still enjoy over alot of the new ****. So I dont get carded no more when buying a bottle & somethimes i get a discount at dinner :smile: getting older is fun. I even get senior junk mail LOL
    Post edited by boston1450 on
    Randy/Maine
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Speaking of George Burns, I saw him when he was like 90 yrs old and he was fantastic. Never missed a beat and was funny as h-e-double toothpick. You know the Romans considered you weren't even an adult until age 32 or something like that. Probably pretty accurate. Heck your prefrontal cortex isn't even fully developed until 25, how can you be old at 33?
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Yossarian, in the novel Catch 22, said he wants to liver forever, or die trying. And his friend Dunbar cultivated boredom because, as he said, it makes time go slower.

So, you just have to stay away from things you enjoy doing, and hang out with boring people. (And no, I am not free this weekend).
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    I hear ya man. Just started playing in an adult roller hockey league, and am one of the old dudes at 40 yrs old. The aches and pains may last a little longer, but as long as I'm still able to play I'm going to be out there. Like others have noted, you're only as old as you let yourself feel. Keep moving bro; a rolling stone gathers no moss and all that jazz. And happy birthday.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Beta
    Beta Posts: 267
    My kid just turned 1 and by the time she drives I'll be 48.... Sigh.

Interestingly, I was 48 when my wife gave birth to our one and only child. I'll be 64 when he learns to drive. Nothing like being 52 and having a 4 year old little boy. It's really exhausting, but I wouldn't trade the world for my situation.

Joey, just be grateful people don't tell you your grandchild is adorable when said 'grandchild' is actually your son. It's only happened to me a couple of times. It's pretty funny to see the expression on the person's face when I tell them he's actually my child, not my grandchild.

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    edited May 2015
    Went on a couple rides at six flags yesterday, got Woozier than I've ever been in the past. Hahaha...

Thanks everyone! Lots of great posts here.

I just sometimes wish I could just freeze time. Life is just starting for me and I don't want it to stop. But again, nothing you can do but enjoy it while it lasts...

... Now, where are them strads??
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • tonyb
    That's the spirit Joey, life is too short not to have Strads. Go get 'em !!
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Joey, you should celebrate with that SL65 AMG you wanted. >:)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Joey_V
    edited May 2015
    wev5legro882.jpg
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Joey, you should celebrate with that SL65 AMG you wanted. >:)

Hahaha... you like spending other people's money dont you Z?

I'm trying to massage my wife's Lexus back to life cuz I'm a cheap ****...

Would you believe that this is what I've been looking at lately??

On a side note, my dad and I checked out the s63 Amg coupe few days ago... What a machine. What a phenomenal machine.
    Post edited by Joey_V on
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • tonyb
    Ha....Joey reminds me of that commercial where the guy starts off saying he's never getting married. Then never having kids, never moving to the burbs, buying a mini van.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Yeah I was supposed to live in a high rise condo in Chicago and have a really nice sports car like an Aston. Now I'm in the suburb looking at possibly getting a van. Dang it!

But I wouldn't have it any other way.
    tonyb wrote: »
    Ha....Joey reminds me of that commercial where the guy starts off saying he's never getting married. Then never having kids, never moving to the burbs, buying a mini van.

• Joey_V
    DSkip wrote: »
    It's very possible that within the next few months, I won't even have my own car. I'm looking at ways to reduce my overhead to improve the opportunity for my company's success, and getting rid of my car is a big way to accomplish that.

Sacrifice now, gain later. Thats the way to go.
  • Joey_V
    Zero wrote: »
    Happy B-day f***er. I just hit the 33 mark as well.

As for freezing time... Screw that noise. Just learn to slow the hell down and appreciate what's around you. The good and the bad.

Nice to grow old with you old man
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638

As for freezing time... Screw that noise. Just learn to slow the hell down and appreciate what's around you. The good and the bad.

Snot nosed punks... :D

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842

Snot nosed punks... :D

Ken, you have such a way with words! :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    I do believe this thread is getting "old". See what I did there?

OK, I apologize. Even I winced when I wrote that! lol
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • tonyb
    It's very possible that within the next few months, I won't even have my own car. I'm looking at ways to reduce my overhead to improve the opportunity for my company's success, and getting rid of my car is a big way to accomplish that.

How are you suppose to go buy the steaks and wine when I come down to visit ? No car ? Better get a big arse basket on that bicycle of yours then.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V

How are you suppose to go buy the steaks and wine when I come down to visit ? No car ? Better get a big arse basket on that bicycle of yours then.
    bahahahahaha
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    That is the 1st thing they teach ya in Texas, is how to grill! starts in grade school or as soon as you can start a fire!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • tonyb
    voltz wrote: »
    That is the 1st thing they teach ya in Texas, is how to grill! starts in grade school or as soon as you can start a fire!

Do you start that fire with a 45 ca. or will a 9 mm do ? :)

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711

My guess is with an auto ignition system tony....lets not get ridiculous. :p
    And to think, i turn 31 in a week and feel great except for the sharp pains in my chest.......
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    mrbiron wrote: »

And to think, i turn 31 in a week and feel great except for the sharp pains in my chest.......

Your younger than me.... woulda never guessed that one...... Damn, I am old.....

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    mrbiron wrote: »

Your younger than me.... woulda never guessed that one...... Damn, I am old.....

I'm younger than you both.

Yeah I know that Skip lol... I just always thought I was one of the young guys but it appears I am not, and thats fine by me......

Guess just the Polk forum members around me are from the "old guard" as I was the youngest in that group by a fair margin....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711

Oh blow it out your @ss Dan!...you're what, a month old than I. :D

Skippy, based on the hair in your pic with your newborn, I'd guess you were 47. >:)
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!