LSi15 crossover

Options
Does Polk offer a new crossover for the LSi15's?

Best Answer

Answers

• Buke9
    Buke9 Posts: 31
    Options
    I guess I should say that my right side crossover has fried and that is why I ask.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    Or take this opportunity to upgrade the crossover is funds allow.
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/134268/polk-audio-lsi15-crossover-modification-thread#latest

Takes the 15's to another level. Worth the price, especially since you have to spend money to replace it any way.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    I guess I should say that my right side crossover has fried and that is why I ask.

I'll assume you fried the 5 watt resistor, a common issue. If so, just replace it with a new one of the same ohm value, but a higher wattage rating such as 10 watts. Do both crossovers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    May we ask what your driving the LSI15's with ? That might also be a problem if it's not a good 4 ohm capable amp.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Buke9
    Options
    I'm driving them with a Denon AVR 3310CI . I am thinking of getting a better amp soon. I'm thinking of fixing them myself first. The upgrade is a little too much for me to spend right now. Just another question if you don't mind? I pulled the post plate off and saw the resistor that was burnt. Is that the only part of the crossover or is there another section of it somewhere else and also do you pull the drivers out to get the crossover free? Thanks for your help.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    First off, you have an AVR, not an amp. Another AVR isn't going to be any better at driving 4 ohm speakers. If your current AVR has pre-outs you can add a two channel amp to drive the LSi15's.

That should be the only crossover. You'll need to disconnect the wires from the drivers. Make sure to mark which wire goes where.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Buke9
    Options
    When I bought them I didn't realize they were 4 ohm.They came in a package deal with a PSW 111 powered sub if you bought a certain amount so now I have two of the little subs thought they would work with my AVR setup (did not research for that purchase).
    Now I am planning on getting an amp just for them. Yes the Denon has pre's for every channel. I am thinking of buying a new DAC soon for my new headphone setup (whenever Cavalli builds my new amp) so I was thinking of making a whole other setup for the LSi15's.
  • Buke9
    Options
    OK I got the crossover out and the resistor on the good unit is also damaged. I can't see any markings on it to find a replacement. ce0rs90qscde.jpg
    Does anyone know the part number or value of this unit. Without schematics it's hard to tell. Any help would be great.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Here is the link to the LSi15 crossover schematic.

If you can get me a top down shot that shows the board markings, I can tell you exactly which one it is but I am betting it is a 2 ohm resistor as there are three 2 ohm resistors and one 3.5 ohm resistor in the crossover.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Buke9
    Options
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    Ok. I am fairly certain that is one of the 2 ohm resistors.
    But to confirm, what is stamped on the resistor marked with the red arrow in the picture below? Is it the same (Ph)5W2R0J or different?
    kj231iu8r8z2.jpg

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Buke9
    Options
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    Confirmed, it is a 5 watt, 2 ohm resistor that is cooked.

Personally, I would replace them all with 10 or 12 watt Mills resistors in the same resistance values (three 2 ohm resistors and one 3.5 ohm per speaker).

• Buke9
    Options
    That was going to be my next question should I replace them all. Another thing when I look up Mills 10 or 12 watt 2 ohm resistors they don't look the same as the ones on it. Does this matter? They look like what I think a resistor looks like and not the big ceramic things that are on it. Am I looking at the right thing? Can you give me on a good place to source these ? If you don't mind. Thanks
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Buke9 wrote: »
    That was going to be my next question should I replace them all. Another thing when I look up Mills 10 or 12 watt 2 ohm resistors they don't look the same as the ones on it. Does this matter? They look like what I think a resistor looks like and not the big ceramic things that are on it. Am I looking at the right thing? Can you give me on a good place to source these ? If you don't mind. Thanks

Www.soniccraft.com

I would replace them all.

• ZLTFUL
    Options
    ^ This.
    And the visual differences are the construction method of the resistors.
    The style that Polk uses is a cheaper to manufacture part and is one of the compromises they have to make when they bring a product to market at a certain price point.
    There are many different types of resistors and they all do the same basic thing...wire wound, sand cast, metal film, etc.

Run with the Mills from Soniccraft and you will be golden.

• Buke9
    Options
    Thanks so much people you all help been so much help. Now all I need is 8 resistors a new roll of solder wick (and maybe a couple beers ; ) ) and I'm ready for the hunt of a new amp to run these puppies properly. But that is another subject for a different forum. Thanks again all !