are lsim704c big improvement over csi5?

gurot1
gurot1 Posts: 519
edited April 2015 in Speakers
I just switched my fronts over to lsim 705's from rti10's. I was wondering how much of an improvement people have noticed when switching from the csi5 over to the lsim704c. Lol I know there will be comments to just go with the lsim706c but I dont think I would be able to swing that purchase this year...I was surprised the lsim705 purchase was approved by the boss. I don't want to purchase the lsim704c if not much improvement over the csi5 although as I understand it would be best to go with the same line of speakers for the fronts and centre for timbre matching. If this specific comparison has already been discussed but I missed it while searchlight the forum, please let me know.
lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
rti6,csi5,fxi5
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    and the 706c is a monster!
    % HT to surround music?
  • gurot1
    Was mostly HT, but I looking to listen to more 2 channel again. I cant say I listen to much music in surround, but I did just buy a concert dvd to see what that would sound like! I would say it will be 65 percent HT and 35 percent 2 channel.
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    Size of speaker won't be issue as my csi5 currently sits on top of my AV console (tv mounted to wall)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Can't help with your specific question, but I can share my experience.

I'm running a 704C with modded SDA CRS+ as front L-R mains and small Energy speakers as surrounds, and the timbre matching is not an issue. The integration is fine.

I went from a CS10 to the 704C, and while the former is a fine little center, the latter is very, very good for both music and movies. Easy to power as well.

"Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I have the 706C with my 705's and love it.. Probably could have gotten by with the 704c and would have been very happy.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Also, meant to say that the 704C images really well. when I'm running only the center and surround channels (front mains off) it projects sound into the room almost like the SDA's.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • gurot1
    The 706c looks bada$$, and from all the comments i've seen they sound that way too! I I did notice a difference when I changed from the csi3 to the csi5. Looks like 794c similar wright to csi5 but a little bit smaller. Problem is that there arent many places in Canada that stock the lsim line so I wouldn't be able to audition the speakers to see if they are indeed worth it to upgrade from my csi5. It would pretty well be a blind buy with no returns. Drumminman, nice to hear lsim704c projects nicely into room. I just missed a 704c that someone was selling the other day :( i'll have to go the used route for the speaker as I wouldn't be able to get an ok from the boss to buy it retail prices!
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    I forgot to mention that I use an 80hz crossover on the avr. The next settled allowed by the pioneer is 50 hz which is too low
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Look at gibbys electronics. They stock lsim series. And you can call them for a better price.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• gurot1
    I'll double check with them. I had ordered my CD player through them a year or two ago.. thanks
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • adabro
    adabro Posts: 212
    They had Future Shop prices there for awhile - I might have saved the page for future bargaining - I'll see if I can find it..
  • gurot1
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    Were you referring to the crazy clearance prices (One of the other members mentioned the lsim706c was $599)?
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • adabro
    Not quite that good - they had the 704 for $499 and the 706 for $799 if I remember correctly.
  • gurot1
    I wish I had seen those prices when they were on. At least I would have been to audition them then. Oh well. Spoke to gibby's, turns out they have to special order them in and it would be a few weeks for them to come in.
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Visions can ord
    gurot1 wrote: »
    Were you referring to the crazy clearance prices (One of the other members mentioned the lsim706c was $599)?

I paid 599 for the 706 from future shop, but they are all gone. If you have a visions electronics near by they can order lsim as well. Then give them Gibbys prices and they beat it by 15%.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• gurot1
    I was able to score a set of 706c from bestbuy.ca. Bought it in store and the system automatically sold it for the clearance price of 599 even though online it says 1499. Got the last one as there was only one in stock online and now it says sold out :wink: there may be a few more lurking out there in some futureshops. I think one of the stores in Ottawa (Ottawa South) may have one. I just wish mine matched the midnight mahogany colour, but only cherry was available. Looking forward to hearing it once it arrives next week.
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    edited April 2015
    Still not here :(
    Post edited by gurot1 on
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    Still no word from best buy.ca; however, I was able to get a family member to find the one in another city, even though the salespeople said they didnt have any. It was an open box. Hopefully they weren't using it as a display model! Maybe they were as it didn't come with the box. Looks like open box tag was from February. Too bad it sitting at my cousin's house six hours away! Crossing my fingers it is ok and that I can hear it before the 30 day return period.
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    edited May 2015
    Just got an email from bestbuy.ca saying that they won't be able to fulfil the order. The said there was a discrepancy in their inventory when I ordered it and that's why it had said it was in stock. Lol i'm thinking another reason could be that the box is sitting hidden in their warehouse somewhere. Oh well, it would have been nice to get an new speaker.
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • adabro
    Not surprisng if they share systems with Future Shop - when I bought my 704 I went to the first store that said it was in stock - the guy spent 45 minutes searching before he gave up.

After getting the 704 at another store, I went after the 705's with somewhat similar results, online said they had in stock, guy disappeared, came back said no luck then tried again and finally found them buried deep in the basement somewhere. Took about an hour of searching, but they gave me an extra (small) discount for the wait....
  • gurot1
    The fs/bb I went to for the 705s didnt even know they had them. I just happened to notice the boxes sitting on the side of the hone theatre area. For the 706s, I had spoken to someone two days earlier who knew what they were ans where they were
    When I called them a couple of days later the salepeople were like we dont carry any in the store. Luckily my cousin was gonna be in that area and was able to check. I guess ib defense of bestbuy staff, unless they worked in fs, they wouldn't know the lsim line. Can't wait to get the 706 and recalibrate the system.
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    Got my hands on the 706c. They are huge! Significantly bigger than my csi5 which were already on larger side. The colour doesn't match my towers :( But there wasn't much to choose from. I haven't really been able to listen to them yet but here a couple of pics. First comparing 706c with csi5 and the last one just a general pic. I just realised I don't have a pic with my towers showing, will try to do that tomorrow.paw6zcdq9yqp.jpg
    bam8w8x7cla7.jpg
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    edited May 2015
    Looks like my initial image viewer was cropping the second photo. Once it was posted I can see the towers.
    And yes that is ghetto pipe insulation that is covering the wires going to the tv.
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • adabro
    Congrats! Let us know how they sound.
  • gurot1
    From the two minutes at low volume of listening I did at 1030 last night, they sound somewhat similar to the 705, but not as 'airy'. But that was at low volumes. Will try to do some listening tomorrow. Was comparing the rti10s to the 705s the other day and at times feels like I prefer the rti10s :( at the same volume the rti10s are definitely louder so I think that may be playing a role as well. The 705s seem a lot tamer than rti10s and more transparent
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    edited May 2015
    Finally got a little bit of free time to listen to the 706 and two csi5's. Interestingly, both of the csi5 sounded just a little different from each other. They were side by side, the one closest to the wall was 4 ft away from it. I couldn't figure out exactly what the difference in sound was, just that my ears detected some sort of difference. Now on to the 706. It sounded similar to the csi5's but it was a little clearer and laid back. I could differentiate some instruments/sound effects a little better (eg the effects sounded distinct and not muddled together with other sounds). I only had a fifteen minutes so far and only had a chance to listen to a few songs. No movies yet and not very loud.
    rti6,csi5,fxi5