Lawnmower Man

Getting the lawnmower ready for another enjoyable season of cutting the grass in 100% humidity. I opened an brand new Craftsman blade I had for some time, and there is NO edge on this thing. Am I missing something?
Also, I am so cheap I thought about changing the oil with left over chainsaw bar oil....how bad of an idea is this? Feel free to make fun of my frugality.....Kev

Comments

• thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    Sharpen my blade every 6 weeks, have 2 to rotate. Put the correct oil in your engine. I don't know what's in chainsaw bar oil but doubt it is engineered for an air cooled 4 cycle engine.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I work so much overtime I hire a women to come over and mow my yards for me :)

she needs the work I need to relax B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    I just put a new blade on today and yes it black and not knife sharp. But is cuts nice. go for it. And just say no to the bar oil.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Had one of those Craftsman blades before. Same as yours, no edge. 10 minutes with a grinder fixed that. I usually put drain oil from the cars into my mower when it's low. Haven't killed it yet. Not sure what the viscosity of bar oil is.
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    I'd suggest that you take the blade to a sharpening place (Ace Hdwre. ?), or, return it to the store and find one that's actually sharp. Why punish your engine with old/improper oil and a dull blade. ? Bar and chain oil has "cling" additives that probably won't be a good thing for cyl. walls. (just a guess) Next,get some straight SAE 30W oil, then mow. Do you economize on interconnects by shopping at Rat Shack too ?? :p
    Oregon sells sharp objects.............. ;)http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/products/oep/blades/blades.htm
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    Simply start mowing. The blade is coated in paint; the paint will come off after a few minutes of mowing.

I bought mine at ACE. and this is correct

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    edited April 2015
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Also, I am so cheap I thought about changing the oil with left over chainsaw bar oil....

This is a new kind of cheap :D:p A lawnmower uses what, half a quart, tops? And a quart of Quaker State costs $4??? C'mom, man. LOL
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    Also, I am so cheap I thought about changing the oil with left over chainsaw bar oil....

This is a new kind of cheap :D:p A lawnmower uses what, half a quart, tops? And a quart of Quaker State costs $4??? C'mom, man. LOL

Have to agree here. I mean, you took it out of the car/chainsaw for a reason, why use it in another motor ? Bar oil doesn't belong in a motor anyway, not if longevity is of any concern to you. Right tool for the right job and all that. We're talking less than the cost of a bottled water here guys.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • thsmith
    Pretty much all blades come this way, probably because someone cut themselves and sued. I tale mine to Ace to have sharpened, you could shave with it. After 2 mowing check it, surprising how quickly it gets dull. Be sure to pull the plug wire when changing blades please.
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    My cub has 4 flat tires and backfires like uncle buck...woof!

I love the spring.....
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • When I mowed my yard, I changed the oil and the paper air filter at the beginning and the middle of the season. I changed the spark plug at the beginning of the season. And, since they were so cheap, I changed my blade at the beginning of the season.
    Paradigm 11seMkIII mains, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
    Paradigm CC 450 center, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
    Polk Audio RTi6 surrounds
    Paradigm SE sub
    Sony BDP S5100 blu-ray player
    Panasonic 50" plasma
    Yamaha RX A1000 receiver
    Parasound HCA 1205A amp
    Audioquest Evergreen IC's
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    New blades should be sharpened for max performance. No need for a new blade unless the old is bent or there is no meat left to sharpen.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    Simply start mowing. The blade is coated in paint; the paint will come off after a few minutes of mowing.
    You were correct....the paint chips off quickly to reveal the sharp blade. I simply stuck my hand under there and could feel how sharp it was. just kidding but you were correct. I also changed the oil, blew out the filter, and it runs like a dream. and thats what I dream of nowadays....mowing the lawn
  • tonyb
    . .... and thats what I dream of nowadays....mowing the lawn... naked.

Fixed that for ya pal.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    tonyb wrote: »

Fixed that for ya pal.

Is it wrong?
  • tonyb
    tonyb wrote: »

Fixed that for ya pal.

Is it wrong?

Heck no....you may scare the neighborhood kids though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • thsmith
    Pics after mowing last night, trying to get the stripes like the stadiums.
    zaof54j7xjwu.jpg
    4rtenh3zb0xf.jpg
    2wibw2hql221.jpg
    ux62vv32u4ft.jpg