amp advice

Options
Hello all,
So I just received my new emo xpa-5 gen2 and would like any input or suggestions on how to use it. Can't decide whether to run it to all speakers or to run my center channel and bi amp my fronts with it and allow the avr to handle the rears.( goes against my better judgment to leave unused power just sitting there) Leaning towards bi amping the 9's but any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated
Equipment:
Fronts-a9's
Center csia6
Rears-fxi6
Sub- duel 660 pros
Avr- pioneer elite sc-65
Emo xpa5
Samsug 8550 70' 4k..freaking sweet!

Thanks to all!

Answers

• voight1
    voight1 Posts: 51
    Options
    Also when I use the 5.1 bi amp option on the elite it has me run the second set of speaker cable going to my mains through my front height...would I keep the same setting and run my ic's through the front height preouts?
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Fronts-a9's
    Center csia6
    Rears-fxi6

Put these on the amp and enjoy.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,832
    Options
    Do as cfrizz suggests. You wouldn't be bi-amping anyway as that requires separate amps each with its own power supply, not a shared one like your amp and just as important, the use of active crossovers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• voight1
    Options
    Understood, thanks everyone who answered. So what if I ran my 9's the center and rears through the emo and bi amped using the elite front heights..the 9's would be biamped at that point..right? would this be worth while, or not even be noticeable?
  • voight1
    Options
    Got it, thanks for the input guys!
  • voight1
    Options
    Okay one more question..why does my elite have the bi amp option, say I was just using my avr with front bi amp option in use, if its not from two different power supply's its not really a bi amp...right? Also I was looking at maybe sending back the xpa5 and getting a xpa7 because the emo website says you can use the xpa7 in a 5 channel setup and use the two extra channels to bi amp your mains..is this false advertising because its all coming from the same amp? I guess I'm confused why my avr says I can bi amp with it and emo says you can bi amp with the xpa7, but you guys are saying you can't bi amp without separate amps..?? Sorry if this is a dumb question..lol
  • voight1
    Options
    This makes sense, thank you for the explanation
  • voight1
    Options
    Looks like I'll have to step up to a 7.2 and get an xpr-2 for my 9's...some day that is..lol. I call it a hobby, the wife calls it a sickness
  • F1nut
    Options
    voight1 wrote: »
    Looks like I'll have to step up to a 7.2 and get an xpr-2 for my 9's...some day that is..lol. I call it a hobby, the wife calls it a sickness

And you still will not be bi-amping without an active crossover. Do yourself a favor, forget you ever thought about bi-amping, especially for an HT set up.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Forgot to mention, what you can do that will improve the sound of your A9's is to replace the stock jumper plates with high quality speaker cable.

President of Club Polk

• voight1
    Options
    I use banana plugs so would that peice of jumping cable go where the loose wire ends would go?
  • F1nut
    Options
    You could use bare ends, which would go into the holes in the post stud or use spades, which is what I would do as I'm no fan of bare wire.

President of Club Polk

• voight1
    Options
    F1 if I got an xpr-2 and another set of fxi6 to bring me up to a 7.2, I wouldn't be worried about the bi amp thing. Xpr-2 600 watts into two channels...gigitty..for the 9's and xpa5 to handle the rest. Stinks this isn't in my budget right now..
  • voight1
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, didn't think of using the spades..I'll give it a try :)
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,654
    Options
    12sm7tw0h8an.jpg

I use spades on the cables and nanners on the jumpers...
  • voight1
    Options
    Did you buy those jumpers or make them?
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,654
    Options
    Neither, Karma from Tony. Not sure what brand they are, maybe he can chime in. I likey though...
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited April 2015
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    If you use spades, make sure you get good ones that hold well when you tighten them at the terminal. I've seen some that don't grip well and are hard to tighten. They then get loose particularly if you use a heavy gauge of speaker wire.

And periodically re tighten them to be safe. One Friday night I am having a great time listening to some good tunes, then out of nowhere the right channel goes dead. Power was fine, but no sound. The next day I am swapping gear trying to figure out why the right channel died, and I finally decided the speaker was bad. When I went to swap it I see a freaking spade dangling in the air. Reattached it and now all is well. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    If you use spades, make sure you get good ones that hold well when you tighten them at the terminal. I've seen some that don't grip well and are hard to tighten. They then get loose particularly if you use a heavy gauge of speaker wire.

And periodically re tighten them to be safe. One Friday night I am having a great time listening to some good tunes, then out of nowhere the right channel goes dead. Power was fine, but no sound. The next day I am swapping gear trying to figure out why the right channel died, and I finally decided the speaker was bad. When I went to swap it I see a freaking spade dangling in the air. Reattached it and now all is well. :)

Blue, do you listen to your system on any other day than Friday? Just kidding!
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Every night, but the weird stuff always seems to happen on a Friday. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    You have the same speakers that I've been running for over a year for music and HT. Everyone's suggestions have been spot on. Once you hook them up and dial them in, you'll forget about bi-amping. I noticed you have a Pioneer receiver. If you are using this for music too, I would recommend an eq system for the subs like an DSPeaker anti-mode or equivalent.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • BlueFox
    Options
    I hope that isn't the cause. I would hate to have to stop listening to the stereo. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.