SVS AS-EQ1

Options
So I just pulled the trigger on an SVS AS-EQ1.
I haven't really dialed the subs in since I added the second SVS cylinder and was researching ways to do so since the sub eq on the Yamaha Aventage line is...erm...lacking. The room correction itself isn't bad but the sub eq always leaves the subs so low as to be nearly inaudible and I didn't invest $1000 in subs for inaudible.
On the flip side, my DB meter and moving around the room method resulted in massive bass but almost to the point of being overwhelming. I was originally worried that since it was this huge open space (living room, dining room and kitchen are all open to each other) that I would never be able to pressurize.
Hardly. I have no problem rattling dishes in the kitchen cupboards. The problem is, for example, the scene in Skyfall where the helicopter crashes into Skyfall, it becomes this giant rumbling blubbering mess. I don't mind loud...I want clean and loud though.

So I looked into things like MiniDSP with REW which seems like a good way to go. @EndersShadow even offered to send me his for a demo run. But in the end, in speaking with a local who is running his 2 SVS PB13 Ultras off of one of the AS-EQ1s, it seemed like the right way to go.
Not only that, this local also offered to come by and help me get things dialed in when it gets delivered.

So I pulled the trigger this morning and am now trying to reconfigure the rack to welcome the new power conditioner and the sub eq.
More details when it arrives.
"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip

Comments

• Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    Congrats on the unit, that is a sweet little sub eq. I almost went for one years ago, but ended up buying a Antimode 8033S from a respected fellow polkie here. I really like how the SVS AS-EQ1 has the ability to show a graph on your tv as you make real-time adjustments . Wish my Antimode had that feature.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yup I will be playing with my minidsp on Saturday when my new sub arrives heheh...

I've debated buying a SMS-1 too as its a bit easier to dial in than the Minidsp but we will see.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    As you stated in our email conversation though Dan, the SMS-1 only handles one sub. Granted...you currently only have one sub but once you have 2 in your system, you will have a fist fight with your wife to keep them both! ;)

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    As you stated in our email conversation though Dan, the SMS-1 only handles one sub. Granted...you currently only have one sub but once you have 2 in your system, you will have a fist fight with your wife to keep them both! ;)

LOL... yup, hoping the MiniDSP I've already got will do what I want as it can do dual subs.

As you know well, I waffle on gear often :smile:

Long story (and threadcrap) short, due to my laptop having internal and dedicated graphic cards built in been having trouble getting REW to work via HDMI at all last month or so. I wanted graphs of my old sub before I sold it (which I am not now).

Will likely just bring my rebuilt computer downstairs to calibrate the miniDSP and generate graphs.

Keep me informed about this as I see the downfall of the MiniDSP being you can take a bunch of diff measurements but unlike this SVS unit, you only build the EQ off one. But the plan is later this year to buy a new AVR that has XT32 and SubEQ (which IIRC is the same as this unit)...

I need to dig in deeper to see, but who knows, maybe I will snag one of these myself... or not... or maybe......
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    Buttermilk_Belgian_Waffles-6.jpg

• Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    Options
    Cool, let me know how you like it. I have the SMS-1 and it has been doing a great job for years.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    Well...got it hooked up but hadn't had a chance to run calibration when my TV died...bought a new 4K TV...which meant I had to upgrade my AVR to a 4K capable one...which has Audessey and SubEQ so...yeah...pulled it out of the rack yesterday and will be hoping to pass it on to another Polkie for what I paid.

The SubEQ on the new AVR is supposed to be similar to the AS-EQ1's version so...
    I am digging it so far but have only had about 30 minutes of Master & Commander to go on before my wife told me I was being too noisy at 11:30 PM hehe

• rtart
    rtart Posts: 817
    Options
    I owned an SVS-1, an Antimode and now have a Pre/pro with Audyssey that will control two subs. Never went with the AS-EQ1 because of price. I really liked the SMS-1's graphing capability, and it's ability to adjust sub volume via an IR remote. The Antimode worked OK, and the current built-in solution works fine as well. I usually adjust the LFE levels a bit after running Audyssey, but have no complaints. I'd say I get 90% of the capability at the 'built-in-the-box' price. In short, I think you are doing the right thing...
    My 7.4.4 DIY 4k Home Theater:
    Polk LSiM 707 L-C-R, LSiM702 side surrounds, LSiM 705 rears
    Polk RC-80i x 4 In Ceiling Atmos speakers
    2 x SVS PB12/Plus 2's
    Denon X3700H
    Emotiva XPA11 Gen 3
    XBox One X 4k & BD and streaming
    Panasonic UB-420 4k player
    HD-A35 HD DVD
    Oppo BD-103D for hirez audio
    Technics SL-D2 TT, Grado Gold Cartridge
    JVC DLA-RS2000/NX7 projector
    Silver Ticket 120" acoustically transparent screen
    Berkline 090 electric recliners with Aura Bass Shakers
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    Glad to hear that. Makes me feel a little bit better about making the switch.