Onkyo 805 Replacement

Options
So, my Onkyo 805 is finally on it's last limb. I found it through the help of you guys about 6 years ago(I typed this first on avsforums and as I was typing remember that it actually came from this site, not that one) and it's held up pretty well for a refurbished unit. Something happened and when I went to plug it in, the two screws holding the power supply snapped the plastic holding it to the metal cover. So now, it's just plugged in but is technically loose from the metal case. Probably not the safest thing, so it's time to replace.

I have had really good luck with my Onkyo but after reading here, are they still the better bet? I bought the 805 because everyone said to make sure you have the preamps. Well, after all these years, they went unused. I had big dreams but after hearing it without it, I was more than happy.

I'm running to Polk RTi8s, a csi5 and two FX5s(I think that's what they are called).

I've been really happy with my set up. I hate losing my 805 but I don't want to buy anything that's not going to give me at least as good of sound as the 805.

I'm far from an audiophile. It's only used for TV and movies. Just looking for something that I can make sure gives me as good of sound as the 805 did.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Ohioste
    Ohioste Posts: 202
    Options
    I can take some pictures tomorrow, but to give you an idea, the plastic on the outside of each screw is now gone so the screws won't stay attached to the plastic. I thought of using an adhesive but because the heat the 805 puts off, it made me a little nervous.
  • Ohioste
    Options
    Also, there was a nice little spark when I plugged it in and the screws snapped. I'm assuming that's just the arc and it's been fine ever since, just not sure. The metal casing is a little black from where this happened.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Pics are good. I also run the 805, knock on wood. The deal with it was that it had very powerful surround sound that could be purchased at a bargain price--refurbed it was less than 500 (MSRP $1000, but same amps as the more costly 875 and similar to the TOTL 905 sans the toroidal transformer). Since that model the 8XX series has lost a lot of weight and the power supply and board have not been as robust. The newer Onkyos don't have as much oomph except for the TOTL over $2000 units.

Also, the real heat from Onkyos is not over the power supply which has a massive aluminum heat sink nearby but over the HDMI board which has no such relief.

I agree with Dskip, sounds like an easy fix but pics would help. There are a lot of guys here who could walk you through it. Fingers crossed!

The problem? Getting equivalent amplification from an AVR today will cost you north of $1500 (not something I'm willing to put out YET). Pioneer ELITE or Higher End Yamaha Aventage units, but you WILL PAY FOR THEM!

Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    If it's what I think it is, it's a standard IEC power inlet, easily replaced....so very easy to replace.

I agree, that's all that wrong with it. Can find them everywhere.....

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Ohioste
    Options
    OK, so I think I agree with you on what part it actually is. When I looked at it last night, it didn't appear to just unplug. I didn't take the case off tonight because I didn't have time. I've got a little one running around here and time is precious. So this is what it looks like with the case on. As you can see, I can't plug in the piece because the plasic piece on the sides are gone. I went to parts express like it was mentioned above and this is the exact part that is broken. http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-iec-power-jack-chassis-mount--090-442. At least from what I can see. Thoughts? Does it really just unplug and I can plug a new one in? xqh5tyl9oyr4.jpeg
  • Ohioste
    Options
    So do you mind giving a link of which one you think it is? Even if I have to buy two, I can handle that.
  • WLDock
    Options
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Soldering is easy, buying 6 packs is even easier.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • pjd2011
    pjd2011 Posts: 49
    Options
    I bought a refurbed 805 years ago with my dad as a Christmas present for us. It's been nothing short of amazing for us.

Looking to buy a new one sub $200 in the near future for it's power. Unless you need 3D or 4k support, nothing better for the money in my opinion.
    Computer nerd diving head first into quality audio.
  • Ohioste
    Options
    Yeah, I haven't soldered anything since about the 8th grade. And this is not something I really want to mess up. I may see if I can find someone.
  • cnh
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ohioste wrote: »
    Yeah, I haven't soldered anything since about the 8th grade. And this is not something I really want to mess up. I may see if I can find someone.

At least you soldered something sometime! I used my first iron on a speaker a couple of years ago and had NO CLUE, watched one or two youtube vids, crossed my fingers and proceeded gingerly. Surprisingly, I didn't screw anything up and the learning curve for basic soldering seems pretty low. Believe me, I may have aced all my courses but shop class put me to sleep and it didn't figure into college scholarships and grants; which I knew so I really did not care. But, now I have to ask the boys who did not sleep through those classes, lol

Just goes to show you that you can NEVER have too much "humility"; there is always something you don't know and usually someone willing to help! Take this thread as an example.

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    Soldering is about as easy falling off a rock. Am I right to assume you are in Ohio? If so which part?
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Ohioste
    Options
    I'm on the west side of Columbus.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Ahh, I'm just outside C-bus on the east side.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    Options
    If you want something good, go for a Pioneer Elite.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    South of Dayton here
  • Ohioste
    Options
    Quick advice. At best buy. Pioneer elite sc81 or get my 805 repaired. Pros and cons?
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Get the Pioneer, then fix and sell the 805
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Get the Pioneer, then fix and sell the 805

Probably good advice. I've had an 805 for 6 or 7 years now and it's been bulletproof. But I just got a 4K TV so I think the Oinkers days are numbered, though not real soon.

SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • cnh
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm holding out for 16K. By then Pioneers will probably not be as good or gone and I'll have to figure out what to replace the 805 with?

Not going to invest in a new HDTV till my ancient Toshiba DIES, DIES, DIES (RProjection 1080 RGB tubes)-damn thing is INDESTRUCTIBLE. Eleven years, still going, hasn't even lost much in the way of brightness. I knew I was buying something that would last, but now I'm married to it as the wife will NOT approve a new purchase there. "What's wrong with what we have!" And that's hard to argue with when you look at the picture's movie-like quality! I'm screwed. Be retired before I see a new BIG screen. lol

• Ohioste
    Options
    I ended up getting the pioneer. Seems good so far. I'm not sure I'm going to sell the 805 just yet. Will try to get it repaired and then try and save it for a future set up. Who knows though.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What do you think of it compared to the Onkyo as far as 2 channel music playback?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • WLDock
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    What do you think of it compared to the Onkyo as far as 2 channel music playback?

I had the Elite SC-05, 25, & 65. They are for sure powerful and great for an AVR only HT system. However, I tried the Onkyo 806, 3008, 5008 and thought the 3008 & 5008 sounded better playing 2 channel music over everything else. Overall warmer, sound with better separation and imaging. However, my system setup is not the best for music as I have a LOT of stuff shoved into the family room. Still, all will change when I get an amp and possibly move soon.

Y.E.M.V.

• leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    If and this is a big if it's only those 2 screws holding the AC. plug wire. This might be a real easy fix. Now not seeing what's behind there if nothing just drill out those 2 screw holes and install 2 machine bolts w/ lock washers and nuts. Again only if in that area is free of any other electrics.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc