Monitor 30 Series ii vs RTI a1 vs RTI 4

Options
Hello All,
New to the forum. So I've set up a movie/music room in a small space, about 9 x 12. I am using the Monitor 30's as my fronts with a CS1 center, PSW 10 for a subwoofer and JBL Control Monitor 1's as surrounds. For movies and tv, it all sounds very good. I'm using a Yamaha RX-V577. I also have an old HK 6250 integrated amp for vinyl. For music, I absolutely prefer the HK for vinyl or CD's. Using an AB switch box to share the subwoofer and front speakers.

I'm not totally in love with the Monitor 30's for music, vinyl or CD's. There is some "smeariness" that I don't hear when I am watching a movie on Blu-ray or DVD.

Would replacing the Monitor 30's with either the RTI a1 or RTI 4's be a noticeable sound quality improvement? I didn't spend a lot for the Monitor 30's but geesh they are less than 2 months old.

Opinions? Are the RTI's a worthwhile upgrade? Thanks!

Comments

• trj
    trj Posts: 320
    Options
    If your primary goal is to make the speakers better for music, RTi's are not the best choice. RTi line of speakers are brighter than monitor lines. Upgrade, sure its an upgrade in Home Theater, but not in music department.

The combination of yamaha with RTi would even produce more bright sound for music. You already feel the difference in HK and yamaha for music.
    Sony BDP-S6500 | Raspberry Pi 2 | XBOX One S | Wii --> Yamaha RX-V667 --> Adcom 5006 bridged to 175 watts for front LCR -- >Front: Polk Audio RTi8s | Center: CSi5 | Side Surrounds: RTi4s | Rear surrounds: FXiA4s | Cheap 12" sub woofer|Samsung UN60KU6300
  • vickievinyl
    Options
    Hi trj, Thanks for your reply. For HT the Yamaha AVR and the Monitor 30's are fine. Musical passages whether I'm using the Yamaha AVR or the HK amp, just don't sound as detailed as I would like... Is there another Polk bookshelf series that will be better for music? I guess that I am fairly new to HT, but it seems that a speaker that is good at music reproduction would be a good one for HT...
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    , but it seems that a speaker that is good at music reproduction would be a good one for HT...

That's certainly true, but not so much the other way around. May I ask what kind of speaker cables are you using ? Some are better than others in bringing out those details you seek.

Also, have you tried setting up the receiver differently for music than for movies ? Played with the settings at all ?

Welcome to the forum too btw !!
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • vickievinyl
    Options
    Hi tonyb, and thanks for the welcome! I'm using 14 AWG Megacable from Radio Shack with speaker pins. For music on CD's the speakers sound good through the Yamaha, but better through the HK. For vinyl, the HK is a LOT better. I am using a Cambridge Audio 651P preamp whether I use the AVR or amp. I've set the Yamaha to "Direct" sound and it is better sounding but just not as "good" as I would like to hear. I have an old Kenwood KD 3070 TT and a pretty decent Pickering TL-3 cartridge and a new Pickering TL-3S stylus. Maybe I will be happier with the Monitor 30's over time? I have probably played less than 50 hours of music/sound through them.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,542
    Options
    The HK is a higher powered amp v the Yamaha so your hearing that too.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • vickievinyl
    Options
    Hi EndersShadow, Yes in terms of real power I would agree. The Yamaha is 75 wpc and the hk is rated at 45 wpc but it has high current capability with better overall components I'm sure. Music sources sound better through the hK, but it doesn't knock my socks off LOL.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    I owned both the RTi4s and the RTiA3s for HT and music.

They delivered very satisfying performance for music, imho, of course.

I would think that using your HK driving a set of RTiA1s would deliver a nice synergy and a definite step up in musical presentation in a small room such as yours.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • trj
    Options
    Play with the settings on your receivers. Also check if the output is set to 6 ohms or 8 ohms.
    Both polks you mention are 8 ohm speakers.
    Sony BDP-S6500 | Raspberry Pi 2 | XBOX One S | Wii --> Yamaha RX-V667 --> Adcom 5006 bridged to 175 watts for front LCR -- >Front: Polk Audio RTi8s | Center: CSi5 | Side Surrounds: RTi4s | Rear surrounds: FXiA4s | Cheap 12" sub woofer|Samsung UN60KU6300
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I honestly think the Andrew Jones SP-BS22lrs bookies are MORE musical than Rti equivalents (Rti A1 and Rti-4). And I own both M-30s and Rti-4s.

The M-30s are a "warmer" speaker than the Rti bookies but have a little less resolution in their tweeter. A softer sound, not really "smearing"!

I believe Polk needs to SPEND more time with its CROSSOVERs like Mr. Jones did; working and reworking their lower Ms and Rtis because the stereo imaging and sound stage are not particularly impressive there-whereas you can actually "hear" what the Jones crossover is doing, actively. Sorry Polk!

That said. Rti bookies do very well in HT applications, they're good for Dynamic soundtracks but meh with music, sorry Stereophile!

Now the LSIMs are another story. First rate! But also $1500 a pair?

Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • felipe
    felipe Posts: 423
    Options
    trj wrote: »
    If your primary goal is to make the speakers better for music, RTi's are not the best choice. RTi line of speakers are brighter than monitor lines. Upgrade, sure its an upgrade in Home Theater, but not in music department.

The combination of yamaha with RTi would even produce more bright sound for music. You already feel the difference in HK and yamaha for music.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't HK units on the "warmer" sounding side? If so, then the Rti's will work b/c the HK will tame that brightness.

I do agree with cnh in that the AJ Pio BS22s are more musical...speaking from experience ;)
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• trj
    Options
    ^ I haven't owned an HK yet so, can't really give any feedback.
    However, Pioneer AJ BS22, FS52 are more musical than RTi's. I tested FS52s and RTi8's side by side. But they are 6 Ohm speakers. My receiver ran a tad bit hot than I would have liked. So, I decided to keep RTi8s.

Pioneer FS52/BS52s do go for real cheap though. Good bargain for the money when they go on sale (which is very often).
  • vickievinyl
    Options
    The older HK stuff like my 6250 uses only discrete components. Another feature of the older HK is their policy of not using negative feedback to get really low THD figures. Older HK's have low IM distortion. They also have high current capability and this amp can actually run 4 ohm speakers. I got a real bargain, paid only $100. Thought I may have to replace cap's because it is 23 years old, but it sounds great. Maybe I will do that in the future, but someone told me that if you regularly use an amp, that the cap's do not leak or otherwise degrade that much.
  • felipe
    felipe Posts: 423
    Options
    That sounds like a "warm" sounding stereo to me ;) IMO I believe the RTis will do well with that H/K...still recommend the AJ Pios tho...lol
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• vickievinyl
    vickievinyl Posts: 37
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Felipe and others! I've heard that the AJ book's are very good. I actually ordered the RTi A1's though.... I really like the real wood grain in cherry. I was considering Whafedale Diamond 10.1's but also thought it would be better for HT to keep things Polk for better voice matching. I will probably move the Monitor 30's to the surrounds... The JBL Control 1's are such a perfect size though for where I can put the surrounds, not sure if I want to hang larger speakers on the wall but I am sure that HT will sound more cohesive with all 5-1/4 inch woofers & Polk crossovers etc.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    Good choice - keep us posted on how it all works out for you!

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • vickievinyl
    Options
    @kevintomb, 1980 was a great year for HK! I had 700 series separates from 1983 and they were incredible. Wish that I still had them! :/
  • dpage
    dpage Posts: 27
    Options
    I think the Rti A1 would be a nice upgrade. I've had Rti A1's and Rti4's. They do well for music and movies. At one point I was using the Rti4's in 2 channel for tv watching and occasional music. I wasn't happy with dialogue. Bought a Csi3 center, which was horrible. Went back to 2 channel. Recently bought a pair of PSB Alpha B1's on cl. They sound much better for music and tv/movies imo. I sold the Rti4's right away fwiw. Btw I love Polk. I have a pair of Monitor 10's in the basement.
  • trj
    Options
    Speaking of RTi4's. I am looking for a set to use as surrounds with RTi8s and CSi3.
    I am totally satisfied with the sound I am getting from RTi8s running from yamaha v667 for music and HT.
  • vickievinyl
    Options
    So... I did get the RTi A1's... didn't have too much time to listen to them but played Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue" CD and immediately could hear the difference when compared to the Monitor 30's. Very detailed and open instrumental sounds. When compared to the Monitor 30's. the same CD sounded as if you were outside of the room where the music was being played. I moved the Monitor 30's to the surrounds and watched "Mad Men" on Netflix, really good now. The re is much more of a cohesive "bubble" effect to multichannel sound, so all is good. The JBL's really have a different voiceing than the Monitor 30's and it's very noticeable. I think I'm done! (For now).
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,542
    Options
    I think I'm done! (For now).

Famous last words.... you better not stay too much longer or we will rub off on you hehehe....

Did you get the freinds and family email with promo code.... cause I think a nice CSi A6 center is in your future lol...

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • vickievinyl
    Options
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    Options
    trj wrote: »
    Speaking of RTi4's. I am looking for a set to use as surrounds with RTi8s and CSi3.
    I am totally satisfied with the sound I am getting from RTi8s running from yamaha v667 for music and HT.

I don't think the CSi3 is bad. It's fine for its size, it's just that the larger 5 is better. And I'd say the Rti-8s are easier to drive than AJs towers, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense since they were supposed to be for people who had entry and mid-level AVRs with low to moderate power. And, frankly, the bookies are the gems of the AJ series. Not sure I'd say Rti-8s do not trump the Pio towers--the 8s have some pretty clean mids after all as well as that top end detail.

Trj, you'll probably have fun with that system (Rti-8, Csi3, Rti4s). To my ears, though, the Rtis do like AVRs a little warmer than the Yammi 6XX series. Those tend to be bright whereas the Aventage higher models are more musical and still dynamic for HT.

Personally of the AVRs that I have owned the Rtis paired best with OLDER Denons, not the newer models. They sound OK on an Onkyo and "bright" on mid to lower level Yamahas. But hey, my ears are older and sensitive to highs, very sensitive. I might not hear above 15 khz but what I hear I often do not like, lol

It's possible you might like it hotter up top than I do. Like those who love B&W speakers that sound like nails on a chalkboard to me. Hey, that's why "the Dude abides"! He likes to chill.

Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • trj
    Options
    cnh wrote: »

I don't think the CSi3 is bad. It's fine for its size, it's just that the larger 5 is better. And I'd say the Rti-8s are easier to drive than AJs towers, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense since they were supposed to be for people who had entry and mid-level AVRs with low to moderate power. And, frankly, the bookies are the gems of the AJ series. Not sure I'd say Rti-8s do not trump the Pio towers--the 8s have some pretty clean mids after all as well as that top end detail.

Trj, you'll probably have fun with that system (Rti-8, Csi3, Rti4s). To my ears, though, the Rtis do like AVRs a little warmer than the Yammi 6XX series. Those tend to be bright whereas the Aventage higher models are more musical and still dynamic for HT.

Personally of the AVRs that I have owned the Rtis paired best with OLDER Denons, not the newer models. They sound OK on an Onkyo and "bright" on mid to lower level Yamahas. But hey, my ears are older and sensitive to highs, very sensitive. I might not hear above 15 khz but what I hear I often do not like, lol

It's possible you might like it hotter up top than I do. Like those who love B&W speakers that sound like nails on a chalkboard to me. Hey, that's why "the Dude abides"! He likes to chill.

Yup, its quite a good combination (RTi8 and CSi3) for the front stage for HT. I was looking to get a CSi5, but my current situation doesnt really allow it. Living in an apartment, not really an option to play anything loud and my current TV stand is just a tad bit small for CSi5. Once I move to a house, I plan on getting the bigger center and adding a 3 channel amplifier for front stage.
    Currently just looking for a pair RTi4's to complete 5.1.

Before buying RTi8's, I compared them with FS52(bigger brother of the AJ bookshelf's) side by side in my room. AJs ran my receiver too hot and I could hear my receiver straining even in normal volumes. Probably the AJ Pioneer set I brought home for demo was bad, but it left a sour taste. I do like the RTis, but as you said the sound can be mellowed down a bit. I don't mind it for HT use, as I mostly use it for HT. Now if someone can sell me their RTi4s for cheap, lol.