Auctioners beware!

Options
mjmcg
mjmcg Posts: 102
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
There was a Carver amp for auction on E-Bay and I tried to ask the seller about it, but he never replied. Well, the auction ended and he never replied to the winner either. turns out his contact info on E-Bay isn't even valid and the alternate e-mail address he gave gets no response from him either. The address he gave was: chafer164@hotmail.com The winning bidder slammed him with negative feedback, and I turned him in to E-Bay investigators. They assured me that if they are unable to get a response out of this moron in 48 hours, he's his-tor-y!

The auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1256918134

His feedback...not too good:
http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=chafer164
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2001
    Options
    The buyer left negative feedback on the 3rd day after the auction, for a NEW seller....

Not everyone is as bright as we all here are guys, not saying the guy is legit, but Christ, he should have given him a chance...maybe his pc is jacked, maybe his isp is fubared, maybe he was in a car wreck...3 days after auction is NOT NEAR enough time to leave neg feedback.

Ebay gives the buyer the option to get the sellers phone number if he cannot make contact via email. Also, this 'rookie' bidder says he contacted previous buyers....but those buyers haven't left any negatives. The seller has positive feedback, and it had only been a couple days since auction, and the buyer didn't use all his resources. Hasty, imho.....great way to scare a perfectly good person off, that might have a personal issue, or is just getting the 'hang' of things.

Thumbs down to the buyer for not giving the guy a fair chance....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited August 2001
    Options
    The auction for the Polk M12s last week, pick-up only in Clear Water/Tampa. I wrote two emails and they could not be sent so I turned him in also. I write before bidding anymore to to make sure its on the up and up to many deadbeat sellers. I also use PayPal whenever I can.
    Chris
    Chris :)
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Russ,

I think part of the buyer/seller agreement is that contact must be made within 3 days. Since that was violated, then he has every right to give negative feedback.

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2001
    Options
    It also states that he will use EVERY means available to contact, which at least from the original post, we don't know that he did....

Too bad, if the guy is just 'slow', might have been a nice piece to own.

We will never know, I would have sent at least 5 or 6 emails, waited at least 10 days for reply, and then tried his phone number. But thats just me, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mjmcg
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I agree, if you make an auction, then you should A) be attentive enought to reply to inquiries...I had written to him 3 times over the span of his auction and got nothing, niehter did the winning bidder. B) make other arrangements to access the site if you have troubles...there's always a friends house or the library. And on top of that, he wouldn't even receive the notifications from E-Bay because his contact address isn't valid. He's had plenty of time to write to someone and make some sort of explanation. E-Bay will get to the bottom of it. I never have anything up for sale that either my brother or friend don't know about that they would be able to take over for me if I was in a train wreck or something....there's no excuse for being irresponsible.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2001
    Options
    As far as the 3-day period goes, its 3 BUSINESS days....

Buyer left neg feedback after ONE business day....TODAY is the 4th business day AFTER the auction.

I don't think this guy is a 'thief', idiot maybe, but a thief wouldn't sell a set of 40 childrens books for $16, at least I don't think they would.

Why even check his email during the auction, maybe he isnt expecting anything, maybe he doesn't 'surf' much, and he simply planned on logging in AFTER his auctions were over....I am not making excuses for the sap, but just being realistic. I myself check email 10's maybe 20 times a day, just because I am always on, I monitor my auctions (buyin/sellin) like a nutcase...I love the F5 key...

Yeah, I've bought and sold one eBay for quite some time, I have had a few issues, but nothing major. (russman14 on eBay)

Cheers,
    Russ
  • mjmcg
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Russ, where did you see that line about using every means available...and his phone number?.. I didn't see that anywhere???
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I looked for 10 freakin minutes through the 100's of ebay policies and pages, and it said it somewhere, something to that extent......that a buyer or seller should use other tools for contact, including (had a link) requesting the ph # of buyer/seller.....

I'm not diggin for it again...life goes on....

I think the exact wording might have been 'If you don't hear from the seller you MAY want to try....blah blah blah'

So do you HAVE to? No.

Does the buyer really want the amp? Guess not, or he'd make a better effort, and exude some patience....

Cheers,
    Russ
  • mjmcg
    edited August 2001
    Options
    You're far too tolerant Russ... I say lynch him!!!! LOL ;-)
  • jeffeb3
    jeffeb3 Posts: 106
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I don't want to add gas to the flames but russ brings up some really good points. I think people expect too much most of the time. It doesn'e make sense that he would send fake info and put something up for bid when he can't get money.
  • i002492
    i002492 Posts: 14
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I've had a couple of close calls with E-bay, but have never been taken (more than 50 transactions). Sometimes people without much experience put things up for sale and then realize they have to ship them. Also, like in previous replies, people just don't check their e-mail and forget about the auction (although how can you forget about a Carver amp). Anyway, I normally figure a week to get together.
    Jeff
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Regardless what happenned, the good guy will prevail, I've seen some negative feedbacks but later reverse to possitive... Time costs so sometimes we can afford to wait...:cool:
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I'm switchin' frequencies, this one's killing me.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2001
    Options
    With 45+ ebay auctions I've never had a problem getting in touch with someone after an auction, however, I thought last week when I tried to get in touch with a seller after using billpoint that I might be screwed. I kept e-mailing him but the messages kept getting returned undelivered even though I received a notice from billpoint that my credit card had been charged. He had no clue that something was wrong. In the end I finally got one through and he sent the product before receiving a billpoin notice (as his email was not working properly) so how do you decide when it is appropriate to complain? A serious question! I'm also ready to sell a bunch of stuff. What is an appropriate time to contact someone when they have a question?
    Thanks,
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Hi Max.

I usually contact immediately after I have won an auction or sold something. I have never left - feedback on anyone and probably won't. I try and be very tolerant with people, you never know what has gone wrong. When I bought my B&K amp, which I really like, I called the guy numerous times and we developed a good relationship that i'm sure he will remember. I try and treat everyone like I would want to be treated.

Gary;)