Jantzen Perfectly Lay Inductor + P Core Where Applicable
Supra Rondo Internal Wiring

Bass Network -
Clarity Cap PX bypassed by Clarity Cap MR
Mundorf Electrolytic bypassed by Clarity Cap MR
Jantzen P Core
Mills MRC50
Supra Rondo Internal WIring

External enclosures, custom fabricated, owner is providing wood side panels to mimic his speakers
Supra QUADRAX wiring to go from enclosures to speakers/amps
NL8 and NL4 connections

Will be fun!

arwlrr98vklz.jpg
qxkt7ad0og00.jpg
a7gql3qzlgrb.jpg
o2vdqxszmovh.jpg
ewasmwb39f1y.jpg
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    I can't even imagine having the "brains" to do what you do.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Looks like fun...reminds me that I need to do some Xover work myself.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    Trey very cool but it looks as if your work cut out for you there.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    lehagejw9lay.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Holy smokes bro.....given your past work I can't imagine how this puppy is gonna turn out. Who's speaks are these anyway ? I'd be interested to hear the results from the owner.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Hard to believe they put those "average" components in speakers of that quality level: sand cast resistors, electrolytic caps. Those upgrades should net a h-u-g-e improvement.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • VR3
    edited March 2015
    Yeah the stock crossovers leave alot to be desired. To add to the injury, almost all the caps use various a myriad of parts to make one value so you might have for different values to make a single larger value.

I'm looking forward to posting the results. The owner is out in California

Thanks guys

:)
  • VR3
    Also, notice how every single inductor goes the same direction O_O
  • tonyb
    Yep, the original Focus had some fairly crappy parts inside. Granted, things have progressed a bit better in the model years but for the most part, crossover parts hasn't been their strong suit. Much can be said for many speaker makers in that regard too.

External crossovers....juiced up by Trey.....count me curious....and jealous. Keep us up to date pal, with pics. Could have swore you did some earlier Legacy crossover upgrades, no ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    Yes, one of my first monsters was for a set of Empireslj2y7m7hilmr.jpg
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    That looks like a great project. I am hoping the cross overs on my new Focus SEs has been cleaned up since the ones Trey posted were built. I haven't cracked them open for a look but now you make me wonder. One thing I do know about the new ones are that they are using Solen caps. Here is a quote of the website about the new upper end of the cross over:

"I chose to use Solen metallized polypropylene capacitors imported from France as bypasses in the high frequency network and braided silver cable by Ray Kimber to the upper ribbon. "

I would love to hear the results after the rebuild.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • tonyb
    Trey, has the guy given you any feedback on what the new crossovers did for his sound on the Empires ? I assume he's happy ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    edited March 2015
    The crossovers have solen In the tweeter and midrange network. The key wording is bypasses. They also have the kimber cable

Here is a review for the Empire

"I found out about Trey’s work by seeing his ad for Tyler Acoustics Supertower speakers. The work done to them really intrigued me and I purchased them from him. I had previously owned Taylo 7u’s and heard the Decade D1, and D2 as well as Woodmere2 at shows. I always wondered what they would sound like with top notch crossover parts and was certainly not disappointed when I heard the Supertowers. I already owned a pair of Legacy Empire speakers when I purchased the Supertowers. After hearing the upgraded Tylers, I began to wonder what the Empires would sound like with their crossovers upgraded in the same manner. I really loved the open sound of the Tylers, but had to have the dynamics/ jump factor provided by the Legacys. I sent Trey the stock crossovers and the single line schematic provided by Legacy. I’ve owned many pairs of Legacy speakers and they all have had the same issue. The cheap crossover parts are audible.

Trey provided a basic quote and the process began. This was a huge undertaking due to the large number of parts in the crossover. I was kept up to date regularly thru the entire process with pictures and emails stating specific progress and any recommended changes to the basic plan, as well as requests for my input for enclosure construction, etc. I would estimate that we exchanged 20-25 emails during the process. When the crossovers arrived, I took a peak inside and was very pleased with the quality of the work that I saw inside. Parts were neatly laid out and properly secured. Shipping packaging was first rate and secure.
    I got them hooked up in my system and was almost immediately aware that after these finished break in, they were going to be what I was looking for. Gone was the grittiness of the stock crossover system. They now have between 250 and 300 hours on them and it has certainly been worth the wait. Everything is improved across the board with the exception of the large scale dynamics, which remained intact. It is like a large veil has been removed. Increased detail, check. Improved purity of tone and harmonics, check. Better imaging and soundstaging, check. Improved micro dynamics, check. Improved sense of ease, check. More fun to listen to, absolutely! Everything just sounds more correct and I couldn’t be more pleased.
    After going thru this process, I can without hesitation recommend VR3mods for any crossover modification you may be considering. If you like the basic sound of your speakers, but wonder what they are really capable of, by all means have VR3mods upgrade your crossovers. I have had two transactions with Trey and he has been nothing other than highly professional in both cases. Highest recommendation. Thanks" - Cris Legacy Empire Monastery Level

• VR3
    j7jf2ecvswwr.jpg
  • VR3
    I met with the fabricator today. These enclosures will be little tanks for sure. I am excited to put the parts in there. They will most likely look like little robots.b1udkw3hc3zx.jpg
  • VR3
    Yeah, the drivers in these speakers are very nice and the cabinets are fairly intricate. I would love to hear them! :)
  • VR3
    Designing the back plate to 3D print, black main panel with white text... bwmwbky32clt.jpg
  • VR3
    I think I like this one better :)y7nsjnrthixz.jpg
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    *Subscribed
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• VR3
    edited April 2015
    My first full size (second) prototype. I am still tweaking 3D printing. I pulled this one off before it is even cooled down, just testing the fit of my rendering. I didnt let it finish printing but the full print mimics the NL4 gaskets you can buy separately. It will cover the entire connector's edge.rg6g5v0ntlm6.jpg
    t4ff9uhrr0am.jpg
  • VR3
    Isolated substrate from the enclosure, will help reduce vibrations reaching the crossover components and maintain a solid center of gravity. I also like that you will be able to see the components from each side of the unit (that is until they put the wood sides on it)l3pvw9rnitks.jpg
    axf8r1gkujd0.jpg
  • tonyb
    Trey, your work needs to be seen, not hidden. Maybe if you can leave an area of that box visible, maybe even illuminated, it would add to the owners pleasure and gain you some free advertising by all who see it. Just sayin'.....the way you build crossovers, I'd want to show it off, not hide it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    Thank you Tony! That kind of design traits I leave up to the owner. If they want the work shown, I can work it in but otherwise I treat every build as if they will be hidden. I like a "Utopian" approach where everything is built as if it WILL be seen though, if that makes sense.
  • VR3
    Initial fit testyohe8f9vrxb2.jpg
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Maybe I missed it but what series focus are they?

Amazing work!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • VR3
    To my knowledge these are the current production model.yyb8x0rqint4.jpg
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Trey,
    That appears to be a very challenging and complex project.
    And, as always, your work seems to be absolutely remarkable.
    Well done!
    Phil
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    Super sexy! I'm a big believer in form following function.
  • VR3
    Thanks guys! :)

These are a challenge but it is an easier build than an internal one (as far as the crossover goes) but is more intricate because of the enclosure, etc etc
  • VR3
    edited May 2015
    Everyone likes black :) (Have not cleaned the enclosures yet)

32veh77k9pn6.jpg