Hey, just picked up a pair of RTA8T's

Options
dohcmark8
dohcmark8 Posts: 229
edited August 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
First let me say hi everyone,

Now I got them from a garage sale for $10 bucks, I hooked them up and they sound perfect, not blown or anything. The guy I bought them from was clueless, but I took a chance since I saw the polk name.

Are these speakers any good? :confused:
Post edited by dohcmark8 on

Comments

• PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Welcome to the club ...

Yes they're decent and should be worth ~ 250 - 450 ...
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2004
    Options
    WOW 10 bucks is unbelievable. I own a pair and will never part with them... I like them so much I bought the 15TL and am in search of an 11's on the cheap so I can boast the whole line.

You will notice a stereo image to die for plus an accuracy that reveals detail in your favorite music each and every time you listen. They don't dig real low but then again were not designed to dig real low. I did call Ken at polk and replaced the original tweeters but the 8T itself cannot be beat by the most critical listener then or after the change IMHO.

GREAT BUY!

1/4Twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Another RTA-8T owner here. Mine are 14 yrs old and still going strong, loud and clear.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2004
    Options
    HBomb, did you bag a pair of 12's??

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • HBombToo
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by TroyD
    HBomb, did you bag a pair of 12's??

BDT

Not yet but.....:D I'm listening!

BDT,... I hope all is well with your family and thanks for everything you are doing for our Nation!

Twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • dohcmark8
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Thanks guys, these things do sound rather amazing.

Now I just need a better amp, for now I got them hooked up to an Aiwa mini-stereo and suffice to say it doesnt give enough oomph (duh).

Anyone have any recommendations for decent amps in the under $250 range, new or used, it doesnt matter.

Does anyone here know the power rating for the RTA-8T?
  • cfrizz
    edited August 2004
    Options
    My specs are at home, but if I remember correctly it can handle
    20-250 watts. The closer you get to giving them the 250 watts the better they will sound.

Get a receiver that has pre-outs so that you can add a separate amplifier later on down the line. Thats what I did thanks to advice on this board.

Welcome to the board & enjoy your speakers!

Cathy
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited August 2004
    Options
    You scored buddy, outstanding find!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Nice speakers, have fun.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dohcmark8
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by cfrizz
    My specs are at home, but if I remember correctly it can handle
    20-250 watts. The closer you get to giving them the 250 watts the better they will sound.

Get a receiver that has pre-outs so that you can add a separate amplifier later on down the line. Thats what I did thanks to advice on this board.

Welcome to the board & enjoy your speakers!

Cathy

Thanks.

BTW, I've been looking on ebay for a receiver and is "Onkyo" a repectable brand?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited August 2004
    Options
    if u mean an amp...as in seperate amp...

Adcom GFA 545 will do...

If you mean stereo receiver, I recomend you save your money ;)

Get like 400 bucks to spend, get a seperate amp and a preamp....along with a good quality cd player....

IMO
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TroyD
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Amp? Did anyone say amp??

My friend, if you can wait about a month, I have a more than decent amp/preamp combo for, amazingly enough, 250 dollars. Full function preamp and a 150wpc Onkyo amp.

If it is surround that you are looking for, I have a 70wpc Denon receiver that will do a more than credible job and has preamp outputs for adding a separate amp at a later date if that's your wish.

BDT
  • dohcmark8
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Thanks, so what the differnece between a tuner/amp and a receiver/amp?

Also, how can you tell if your speakers arent getting enough power? Do they distort some or what?
  • TroyD
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Also, just a piece of advice....

Be careful with that mini-system. That thing is probably only good for 10wpc or so, if you go cranking it up that's a good way to do some damage to your speakers.

BDT
  • dohcmark8
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by TroyD
    Also, just a piece of advice....

Be careful with that mini-system. That thing is probably only good for 10wpc or so, if you go cranking it up that's a good way to do some damage to your speakers.

BDT

I know its good for 15w/channel, now I have a questiion, I found this "thing" in my basement, I couldnt find any sites that had the specs and walla I found it on ebay,, now I already have it but I want your opinion on whether it would be useful or not. Onkyo TX-61
  • cfrizz
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I wouldn't be bothered with it. It's over 20 yrs old. Take a look at the flea market to see if anything strikes your fancy. Figure out what features you want your equipment to have, and feel free to ask us lots of questions.
  • TroyD
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by dohcmark8
    Thanks, so what the differnece between a tuner/amp and a receiver/amp?

Also, how can you tell if your speakers arent getting enough power? Do they distort some or what?

A receiver contains a tuner, preamp and amp all in one unit. The plus is, you get a lot of features for a reasonable price. The downside is that in order to get all that in one box, the quality is not as good as separate components, especially in terms of the quality of the amps. Plus, having the tuner in the same chasis as the amp can introduce unwanted noise.

Separate components are generally higher quality, offer greater flexibility as far as mixing an matching components. The trade off is that they tend to be more expensive.

BDT
  • cfrizz
    edited August 2004
    Options
    1 1" dome tweeter
    2 6.5" drivers

Frequency response is 30 Hz to 25 kHz with the -3dB limits of 42 Hz to 23 kHz.

Power handling is 250 watts/channel the impedance is compatible with 8 ohm outputs and the efficiency is 89 dB

All information obtained from Ken Swauger on 5-17-2002.
  • dohcmark8
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by cfrizz
    1 1" dome tweeter
    2 6.5" drivers

Frequency response is 30 Hz to 25 kHz with the -3dB limits of 42 Hz to 23 kHz.

Power handling is 250 watts/channel the impedance is compatible with 8 ohm outputs and the efficiency is 89 dB

All information obtained from Ken Swauger on 5-17-2002.

Thanks.

All I need is something with atleast 2 RCA inputs and stereo output, nothing fancy.

BTW, I just hooked up the TX-61, it may be 20 years old but it sounds just as good as my friends Sherwood receiver which im borrowing for the time being.

It's also reassuring to know that replacement parts are easily attainable for the RTA-8Ts. I'm also wondering if it would be a good idea to tighten the screws on the drivers and tweeter, and would I damage anything?

• smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Cool!! Another happy 8t owner! Dang, you stole those things, hands down....;)

Tighten the screws, they're loose? Barely try to nudge them, if they don't budge then do no more! They'll shred the wood if you force them.

If you can, take the advice of many others and save for separates. I've owned 8t's for many years and the better amplification I bought the better they sounded. I'm still amazed at the sound quality for these speakers, especially on a design that's around 15-20 years old.

Have fun!
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2004
    Options
    congrats on your newly found Polk speakers... i'm sure they sound wonderful.

I"m all for buying used gear... i like the vintage componenets and speakers. They don't make em like that anymore.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dohcmark8
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Thanks guys, BTW does anyone know of a decent guide that explains why/what components you need to build a decent stereo setup?
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Why would you need a guide when you have us available to help you spend money? ;)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • HBombToo
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    Why would you need a guide when you have us available to help you spend money? ;)

yup... ditto!

Twin
    ***WAREMTAE***