Speaker Level and LFE Inputs At The Same Time?

Dr. Spec
Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
Howdy Polksters:

I have what may be a dumb question, but is it possible to hook-up a subwoofer with both an RCA cable LFE input and speaker line level inputs?

It seems to me that the LFE channel is dedicated on 5.1 DD and DTS, and therefore is not fed through the front mains, even when they are set to "large". Is this true? If it is true, this would demonstrate the need for a dedicated LFE cable input to the sub - right?.

However, in addition to the LFE channel input, it seems to me it would still be desirable to run the main speaker outputs from the receiver to the sub and then select the crossover frequency to the mains. This would conserve receiver wattage and increase dynamic headroom and make life easier on the mains at high volume - right?

If I hook-up an LFE and speaker line level at the same time, is the sub capable of accepting and processing these separate signals simultaneously? Or will I turn everything to burnt toast?

Dr. Spec

:confused:
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS
Post edited by Dr. Spec on

Comments

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited April 2002
    no you cant..its either or:cool:
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited April 2002
    you wouldn't want to....if you have your LFE running, then you probably should have the front speakers to small anyway, negating any LFE from the speaker level. One or the other should be fine.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2002
    Thanks, guys.

I'm running LFE to the subs, and everything else set to "large", and it seems to work great.

I briefly tried everything on "normal", and the the sound stage thinned out, especially on the surrounds, and male voices from the CS-400i seemed thin and lacked normal resonance. So I went back to "large".

But boy howdy the low frequency drivers in the center, mains, and surrounds sure do get a work out at high volume on the "large" setting. I've got tons of headroom left in the amp at my highest personal volume (-25 db), so clipping is not really an issue. And I've never heard the voice coils bottom out, so I guess they can take it!

Thanks again.............

Dr. Spec :cool:
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS