CSI A6 needs external amp???

Options
sgray3
sgray3 Posts: 7
edited February 2015 in Speakers
Question for somebody with more experience than me..........

Pioneer SC-1323
2 x RTI A7 (powered by CROWN XLS-1500)
1 x CSI A6
2 x FXI A4

My question is regarding the center channel (A6). After adding the Crown for the FL & FR channels, the sound is full and immense. I ran the Pioneer MCACC and it seems as though the center channel is lacking.

Should the A6 get the same amplification as the A7's or should the Pioneer be sufficient?

Many Thanks!!!

Sean

Comments

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Have you tried raising the volume on the center channel?
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    Options
    The SC should power the center fine. Go in manually and bump it up some.
  • sgray3
    Options
    Yeah, that's exactly what I ended up doing. It gets loud enough, I am just wondering if giving the A6 the dedicated 200 watts with improve the sound?
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    Options
    Do you feel the "sound" needs improvement?
  • sgray3
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm still new to this so I guess I'm not sure, but the effect the Crown gave to the fronts was considerable. I started to think the same may happen with the extra juice!

Perhaps I just need to give it some time!
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    The center is the most used speaker in your HT. Amp it up if you can.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • scotvl
    scotvl Posts: 88
    Options
    sgray3 what do you have the gain set at on the crown amp? The reason I ask is because Ive read some avr's cant drive a pro amp to its full potential.
  • sgray3
    Options
    It's at 50% (both channels).

I saw the same info you did. I have the Pioneer connected to the Crown via Art Cleanbox.

Pioneer > RCA > Art Cleanbox > XLR > Crown

I thought the Pioneer would be enough for the RTI A7's. It worked but I wasn't impressed. The Crown sure opened things up.

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk Sgray3.

All speakers benefit from more power. I started out with amping my RTA-8Ts with a 205wpc Parasound 1500A, then got a Outlaw 200 wpc monoblock for my center channel, I finally got a Sunfire 5 channel 405wpc for all of my speakers.

So amp up, get a least 200wpc which is ususally the point where most people can hear a clear and distinct improvment in sound. This is enough power to power just about any speaker to their full potential.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • sgray3
    Options
    Thanks!

I've always appretiated the feedback and experience you guys all have. I never took the time to get myself registered; should have a while ago!

I can't help but want the consistent 200 watts across the front stage, even though, as already mentioned, I may not need it!
  • scotvl
    scotvl Posts: 88
    Options
    sgray3 wrote: »

I saw the same info you did. I have the Pioneer connected to the Crown via Art Cleanbox.

I thought the Pioneer would be enough for the RTI A7's. It worked but I wasn't impressed. The Crown sure opened things up.

Thanks for the reply, I guess I have a lot to look forward to when I finally get an amp for my A9s.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    OP: Rotel, Parasound, & several other reputable companies make stout 3 channel amps, if that satisfies your curiosity on the value of "juice" for your LCR channels.

Those that know will afirm quality power will make more of a diff than quantity.

Enjoy, Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Tutankmon
    Options

Good, greeting friend, I would like to know how did you do the connection of the Pioneer RTi A7 and Crown XLS1500 ?, because I'm interested in the Crown DriveCore XLS1500 but connect with an A / V and my Onkyo 929 Polk Audio RTi A7 Torres . Thanks for your help. Elvis_luzardo20092009@hotmail.com
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • quicksilvergts
    Options
    The SC should power the center fine. Go in manually and bump it up some.

I agree, I ran Rti10 w/parasound 1200II and Csi5 with my SC1222 for almost 6 months until my Lsi9/LsiC setup. Never had a problem. I did up the gain accordingly.

How far away is the listening position?

To be completely honest, I was a little bummed out with the LsiC compared to the Csi5.
    The LsiC is great but... A little lacking, down the road I will go for a 5 channel amp and some Lsi-FX. However the Lsi9 blew me away right out the gate.
    But yeah, grab a 3-5 channel amp and amp it up. It can only get better.

Cheers!!
    Polk Lsi9
    Polk LsiC
    Polk Fxi3
    Pioneer SC-1222
    Parasound 1200 II w/ Kimber Kable HERO + 4TC
    SVS PB12-NSD (Bash)
    PS4
    Sharp Aquos 55"

"If your BOLD enough to try it,
    your BOLD enough to make it happen"
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    ...I can't help but want the consistent 200 watts across the front stage, even though, as already mentioned, I may not need it!
    I noticed no Sub handling the "heavy lifting" in your gear list. Depending upon room size, perhaps a DSW 600 or, for a bit more coin, an upscale HSU, SVS, or Outlaw would lighten the need for big power.

I recall several years age some one on this forum using [mono'd] pro gear across the front:
    'A9 LR 2 Mackie 1400s ~1000-1200* watts
    'A6 CC Mackie 800 ~600-700* watts
    I'm mean, did this guy "have enough?!!
    * load dependent - neither speaker is a "plain 8 ohm" load.

My Belles Series 1 amps are rated @ a "measly" 100 WPC (high current) full range, has lifted my 'A7s off the ground w/out breaking a sweat! This was in a 16X20 room in a house w/an open floor plan w/peaked 12' & 16' ceilings.

These days my 'A6* & 'A7 tops** are EASILY driven by a Rotel RB-985***
    * XO'd @ 80 hz by 975
    ** mids & tweets XO'd @ 150hz by TDM
    *** high current 100/160 watts, all channel driven@ 8/4 ohms respectively.

spank pro gear.

So "it ain't just about the watts!"

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    Here's an eBay link to a stout B&K 3 channel amp:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161869616347
    Each channel has its own volumn control!

If the link fails, copy/paste 161869616347 into their search engine

And... Higher quality Home gear's SQ will almost always spank $imilar pro gear
  • sgray3
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Well after 9 months using the Crown, I've decided to change to the Emotiva XPA-5.

No complaints about the Crown. It worked great, was super lightweight, and compact. (I did have an issue when connecting to my cable box that caused a nasty humm at first, but I was able to remedy it with a ground loop isolator).

Thanks for all the advice fellas!!!

(p.s. for the low end, I've been using 2 x Polk PSW 505 ---- my next planned upgrade, but to what exactly, I'm not sure.)
  • gp4jesus
    Options