? on hooking receiver to new tv

Options
Ok. Bought a new tv 1/2 price off LG 55in & it doesnt have audio out like im use to.. Does this mean i have to get a newer receiver with optical port ? Ive always used RCA out on tv -to- receiver & its worked well..... Do they sell optical that plugs that go into back of tv-that will convert to RCA ports on older receivers ? Im very old school when it comes to tv stuff. Im more 2 channel
Randy/Maine

Comments

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,456
    Options
    Ob. I told the wife i need new receiver :smile: but if i can use old id be happy
    Randy/Maine
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Now the only reason I see that you would need to do this is because new TV's have some cool apps so you may want to send the sound to the receiver, ARC return via hdmi?

but if your receiver doesn't have this feature?

ARC return sends the sound back both ways via 1 hdmi cable
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited February 2015
    Options
    are you needing this?
    uk2bagfe0j7u.jpg
    just tap the bell if yes.
  • boston1450
    Options
    The receiver doesnt have hdmi or optical.... On the Toshiba we bought in 2010 it has RCA audio out. I used rca cable to receiver. I turned volume on tv to normal listening & used the receiver remote for most of the volume while watching movies & Utube video's...... This new LG is says ''audio in'' on the rca ports on back. I looked in manual & it shows Optical audio out to receiver. So maybe i need newer receiver to use the way i want OR maybe a new sound bar & sub
    Randy/Maine
  • voltz
    Options
    gotcha! think you need a new Receiver/AVR Accessories4less has some always deals and refurbs. Can you tell her its tax time and we are saved? there maybe other ways to do this like what Red has shown.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• boston1450
    Options
    I told her it didnt have audio out & she told me to buy a new receiver. She is cool. But i like my old stuff :smile: time to change with times i guess..... i know i gotta do something quick. The stupid speaker sound is coming out the back middle of this tv & it sounds like shat. Terrible sound. I know that has to go quick
    Randy/Maine
  • voltz
    Options
    Randy you have a lot of very cool vintage equipment, but I think the AVR needs a update LOL! this is one time older isn't always better!

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    If you have a dac laying around, just use that. Optical from the TV to the dac, analog outs to receiver.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • boston1450
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I totally agree. The problem is wifey doesnt like rear speakers :( so ive been running 3 channel or just 2 channel w/sub. I love HT. I keep buying lottery tickets to buy the home with 'his n her' living rooms with no luck yet. I will look for new receiver tomorrow. Thank you sir
    Post edited by boston1450 on
    Randy/Maine
  • scotvl
    scotvl Posts: 88
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    I totally agree. The problem is wirey doesnt like rear speakers :( so ive been running 3 channel or just 2 channel w/sub. I love HT. I keep buying lottery tickets to buy the home with 'his n her' living rooms with no luck yet. I will look for new receiver tomorrow. Thank you sir

Check out the open box avr deals at best buy, you still get a full warranty and you can find some are more than 50% off. Or check out the link that Jstas posted earlier about the new pioneer all in one sound bar that has 6 drivers with individual amps.

forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/166017/anybody-looked-at-one-of-these-yet#latest

• TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Randy if all you are looking for is something with optical in, I have a few older Sony's that could accommodate that. No HDMI or Component video though. If the wife's ok heck get a new AVR but if you just need something to get by, I'll give you one for cost of shipping.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• boston1450
    Options
    TNHNDYMAN wrote: »
    Randy if all you are looking for is something with optical in, I have a few older Sony's that could accommodate that. No HDMI or Component video though. If the wife's ok heck get a new AVR but if you just need something to get by, I'll give you one for cost of shipping.
    thank you for the offer. Im not sure what ave im going down right now. Ive been so busy getting caught up with work & snow at our properties & running the kiddo around to appt's. im beat. So tired i cant sleep :smile:

Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    Good news today. I was able to use the old receiver with the dvd player & ran cable to video-monitor to see picture on tv & still hear music/movies on the receiver. Thats a big plus as i have 1000+ video concert dvds... I have a Denon with sacd/dvd/cd coming. i will be on the search for a small Denon receiver with optical.
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    Scratch all the above. I just purchased a unit that will take care of all the issues i have & i can carry on as needed :smile:
    Randy/Maine
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Glad you got what you wanted/needed. Enjoy.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• boston1450
    Options
    Thanks. I ordered a unit that you run the optical to-plug it in unit. Then unit to the receiver. So i get to keep the Onkyo mini r805x which i really enjoy because the size & works well to mejm2ynlllvagh.jpg
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    Got the new unit last night. Ran to BB & bought a F'n overpriced optical cord & hooked'r up & fantastic. Stupid new tv speaker in rear middle NO longer a issue. Ditched the dvd player (thanks to Ryan). Now i can keep my trusty ole mini receiver/speakers/not sound bar :smile:6740wx01oxpi.jpg
    nj5f9ji8gnkn.jpg
    Randy/Maine