How to play youtube through USB DAC

txcoastal1
txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
edited February 2014 in Going Digital
Using windows 8, is it possible to direct audio from youtube or any other video through the USB into DAC. If so what settings am I missing.

While searching for new music I often go to youtube to sample tunes. I don't have any issues playing J River through USB into DAC.

Thanks
Ron.
2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
Post edited by txcoastal1 on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited February 2014
    You should be able to select the DAC as your default speaker, I don't know Windows these days but that's how I have my Mac setup and am sure there's an option for it in Windows as well. What you likely won't be able to do is bypass the windows sound mixer like you can in JRiver using something like the ASIO4ALL driver, so you won't necessarily get the absolute best sound but since you're working with a youtube video to begin with that shouldn't be an issue...
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Thought I'd bring this thread back up. I never paid much attention to DAC's til more recently (within the last month), starting with PFB's nice karma of a Wireworld USB cable. The only thing I listen to streamed__, is Youtube videos through my laptop (Windows 7) . I use a cable with a mini headphone plug running out of the laptop and R and L rca connectors on other end plugged into tape input on my pro logic avr.(Yamaha rx-v 393). Would I benefit any sound improvement from the youtube videos by using a DAC unit plugged into my laptop with a usb cable? I do have a newer avr I could use that has toslink and coaxial digital inputs if that would be of any help.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Windows just defaults the the audio to the the dac when it senses its hooked up the moment I turn the DAC on or hook up usb. On the subject of improving it? I think it does but to a die hard like heiney9 he would have a very diff opinion on that subject lol.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    For me.. I had to download a driver for my PC to use the DAC..both my peachtree decco 65 & my Marantz SACD had a driver I was able to download from there web
    sites to make it work... then I can change between the sound card and the dac by right clicking on the volume control and selecting play back device and then just click on the dac I wanted...but the option to pick my DAC was not there or seen until the dac was on and plug in with the usb cable then I could see it as a option.

now I have never tried this with a AVR.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD