Great new budget amp offering from Outlaw Audio

So while this will read like an promo for them, its not. I get nothing out of mentioning this new product. I just think its a great starter amp for those looking to upgrade from a AVR and using mostly RTi bookshelves or the Monitor series.

Got an email from them about a new amp they are selling, the MODEL 5000. Its meant to pair with their 975 processor, but I see some other really good uses for it.

5000-front-large.jpg
5000-angle-large.jpg
5000-rear-large.jpg

Its a 5 x 120 watts into 8 ohms and 5 x 180 watts at 4 ohms amp. VERY GOOD PRICE at only 600.

It would be a great amp to buy for someone looking to amp their center/surrounds and then use a higher rated stereo amp for their fronts. Heck for someone with a standard RTi setup (not using A9's or RTi 12's) it might be all you need.

Anyway thought I'd mention it here as its a lower cost than the Emo amps and looks VERY similar to their amps....

Link here and spec's below:

The Model 5000 is our new high performance and affordable 5-channel amplifier. Rated at 5 x 120 watts into 8 ohms or 5 x 180 watts into 4 ohms (all channels driven), the 5000 is ideal for those who have moderate size living areas and desire a 5-channel home theater. Among the 5000 features:

- A differential-sensing RCA input circuit designed to reject input hum.
-Independent power supply rectification for each of the 5 channels, to ensure excellent isolation.
-Two pairs of 150-watt Toshiba bi-polar output transistors per channel for fail-safe reliability.
-Separate output protection relays for each channel, designed to disengage the speaker from the amp in the unlikely case of a short, or excessive DC offset.
-A modular audio channel design to ensure each audio signal is isolated from the other channels, from input all the way to output.

Without question, the Model 5000 represents a remarkable value, especially when paired with our Model 975 AV surround processor

ower output: 120 watts RMS x 5 (all channels driven simultaneously into 8 ohms from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than 0.02% total harmonic distortion, A-weight filter). 180 watts RMS x 5 (all channels driven simultaneously into 4 ohms from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than 0.03% total harmonic distortion, A-weight filter)

Frequency Response: 20Hz -20kHz +/- 0.5 dB at rated
output (120W)

Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): Less than 0.02% at rated output (120W), all frequencies, less than 0.01% at 1kHz

Intermodulation Distortion (IMD): Less than 0.05% from 250mV to output full rated output (120W)

Filter Capacitance: Four 6,800 μF Capacitors per Channel

Number of Output Devices: 4 per channel

Power Bandwidth: 5Hz - 54kHz +0/-3 dB

Damping Factor: Greater than 105 from 10Hz to 400Hz

Crosstalk: Greater than -70dB from 20Hz – 20kHz

Gain: Voltage gain of 29dB

Input Impedance: 40k ohms

Input Sensitivity: 1.00 Volt

Remote Trigger Voltage: 9 - 24 Volts DC at 5 milliamperes or greater

Power requirements: 120VAC, ±3%, 50Hz - 60Hz 1500 watts maximum

Power consumption: 1,800 watts (maximum)

Dimensions including feet (H x W x D): 6.0" x 17.0" x 16.75"

Weight: 50 (lbs)
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited January 2015
    Wow. The specs are fantastic. I am curious who is building it, certainly not an ATI design like their 7500 series and higher.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Wow. The specs are fantastic. I am curious who is building it, certainly not an ATI design like their 7500 series and higher.

Yeah, I figured it deserved mention here as its a GREAT budget offering for folks looking for an amp.

Start with it for a 5.1 setup, and then if you think you need more, get a better 2 channel amp for your L/R and this can drive the rest with ease.

Also its obviously less than the Emotiva's, and has less wattage, but for a casual enthusiast, its a home run IMHO.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    DSkip wrote: »
    Also its obviously less than the Emotiva's, and has less wattage, but for a casual enthusiast, its a home run IMHO.

For the casual enthusiast, the receiver says it has 130 WPC when this only offers 120 WPC....

True, but "all channels driven" does matter as we know... I'm simply saying its a low cost buy in for those that want a decent 5 channel amp, but dont want to pay Parasound, Rotel, Emotiva prices.....

• EndersShadow

For the casual enthusiast, the receiver says it has 130 WPC when this only offers 120 WPC....

True, but "all channels driven" does matter as we know... I'm simply saying its a low cost buy in for those that want a decent 5 channel amp, but dont want to pay Parasound, Rotel, Emotiva prices.....

I know what you're saying and I don't disagree with you. I just know what the casual enthusiast is going to think.

True, but I wanted us folks to know about this, so we can recommend it, while explaining the benefits...

I'd be more willing to spend 600 as a newbie than stomach the higher cost of the better gear.

Kinda like going from Monoprice wires to BJC and Signal. Lower buy in cost with good rewards.

Plus that much wattage is all a large majority will need anyway.... I sometimes forget that most of us here are in the "overdo it to the max" category, rather than "just what we need" one :smiling_imp:

• smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    1,000 clams for the amp/pre combo. Seems like a pretty decent deal to me especially compared with how much receivers run these days and with used gear running off the charts, price wise...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    I guess its only fitting that they had to releases something like this to mate up the pre. The more options the better!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    My only complaint is on the pre side of things...no built in room correction makes for something else in the overall cost.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • DrueB
    DrueB Posts: 10
    I just received my Outlaw Model 5000, and am very happy with it, so far.

I have it hooked up using my 7 year old Denon AVR 3808 CI as the preamp/processor. It is running LSi15's as my Mains, LSiC as my Center and 265RT's as my Surrounds. I have a Martin Logan Dynamo 500 for my sub. All of my speakers, with the exception of the sub (80Hz), are set to Small, and crossover at 60Hz. High quality interconnects from Blue Jean, and my speaker cables are older Monster Powerline 2+ and M Series.

My initial impression is that the sound is much more encompassing, and full bodied, than it was with just the AVR running the show. I am very impressed with the 5000's build quality and design. Excellent/Knowledgeable customer service that quickly responds...whether they answer the phone right off, or call you back. 5 year guarantee...all for 599, you cant beat it. Plus, I love small companies that meet their corporate purposes fully...here to give Emotiva a run for their money at almost half the price. FYI, this one is built in the PRC (Peoples Republic of China).

If you want to improve the sound of your system, and only want to spend $599, you get a lot of bang for the buck with Outlaw.

I will update this post as time goes by.
    Outlaw Model 976 AV Surround Processor
    Outlaw Model 5000 5 Channel Amplifier
    Polk LSI 15 Main Speakers
    Polk LSIC Center Speaker
    Polk 265RT 3 Way In Wall Surrounds
    Martin Logan 500 Dynamo Sub
    Panasonic TC-P65VT60 65-Inch Plasma
    Panasonic DMP-BDT500P Blu-ray
    2019 Technics SL 1210 GR Turntable
    F117 Ray Samuels Nighthawk Phono Preamp
    Ortofon Headshell – LH 2000
    Ortofon Bronze MM Cartridge
    Blue Jean Interconnects
    Blue Jean Speaker Cables
    Furman M-8X2 Conditioner
    Panamax M4300-PM Conditioner
  • DrueB
    DrueB Posts: 10
    UPDATE: 5000 still going strong! Did buy an Outlaw 976 Preamp-Processor to replace my aging Denon about a year after the Model 5000 purchase. All in all, a great combo, that out performs all the others, especially for $1100 for both.
    Outlaw Model 976 AV Surround Processor
    Outlaw Model 5000 5 Channel Amplifier
    Polk LSI 15 Main Speakers
    Polk LSIC Center Speaker
    Polk 265RT 3 Way In Wall Surrounds
    Martin Logan 500 Dynamo Sub
    Panasonic TC-P65VT60 65-Inch Plasma
    Panasonic DMP-BDT500P Blu-ray
    2019 Technics SL 1210 GR Turntable
    F117 Ray Samuels Nighthawk Phono Preamp
    Ortofon Headshell – LH 2000
    Ortofon Bronze MM Cartridge
    Blue Jean Interconnects
    Blue Jean Speaker Cables
    Furman M-8X2 Conditioner
    Panamax M4300-PM Conditioner
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Glad to see you are still enjoying your system.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2