Thoughts on Magic Jack??

Options
Wife and I are really sick of Comcast and want to try something else. We have a bundle with the Internet/Cable and phone and want to try out this Magic Jack thing. My wife has a number of family members that live out of state so long distance calling is very important. So anyone that uses Magic Jack have thoughts pro and con about it?
Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    I had it a few years ago and it sucked. VOIP was probably no as well established when I tried it as it is now. I just use my cell for everything these days.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • starkiller
    starkiller Posts: 2,723
    Options
    Would use the cell but need the free long distance...
    Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    I have free LD with my provider. Do you need the international LD?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Farkenhostile
    Options
    I used one for a few years, it was like having a real phone line. plus Its kinda cool to be able to take it any place you can plug into internet and have your phone if you need.

The only issue I ever had was I think it disconnects you after an hour and you have to reconnect.
  • starkiller
    Options
    Don't need international no....
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    Options
    Hated mine, lots of telemarketers, and getting call at 2 am was too much
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've had it for about three years. Works very well with high speed internet access. Can't dial into certain long distance conference lines is the only issue I've had. Latest version improved voice quality, too.
    Never encountered telemarketers calling in my area.
  • mark090852
    Options
    We've had it for about 2 years. No problems at all. Just like a regular phone except that we lose it when we lose internet. But that rarely happens. I will never go back to paying a monthly phone bill. And we don't get any more telemarketers calling than we did before we had Magic Jack. We "ported" our previous phone number over to Magic Jack, so we continued with the same number we have always had.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,997
    Options
    I've had it for over a year & I wish I has done it sooner. I was in the same boat as you, I hated Comcast & they wouldn't work with you to you as a customer. Picked up the Magic Jack & Direct TV. A very nice monthly savings to boot.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    Options
    My wife and I are currently stationed in Germany since July. Picked up one of these in August so my kids and family can call us via a stateside tel # without the international charges. We can do the same.

German Internet can be slow and we have DSL with a maximum throughput of 4 mbps. We live in a farming village in the country, so have no other options. Darned thing works like a champ. My brother-in-law was stationed in Belgium a few years back and they had an earlier version that had problems, plus needed a dedicated computer. It's been updated since then. Every once in a while I have to hang up and redial but honestly, it works better than my Sprint cell phone did in the US. It's a small powered network interface card in a box and plugs directly into my router...don't need a dedicated computer which is nice. Phone plugs directly into the MJ. Skype has always worked for me in the past but I hate being on camera. Also comes with voicemail and I get an email with an attachment, so don't really need a phone.

I also have their Android app and can make/receive calls via wifi when I'm traveling. No need to carry the MJ. Was skiing in Zermatt, Switzerland, over the 3 day weekend and was able to call from our hotel during breakfast using my tablet, while looking at the Matterhorn...technology is cool! If you have a smart phone it's just like using normal cel.

Haven't had any solicitation calls. Two unknown numbers but I don't answer if I don't recognize it. I could've ported my cel number but didn't want to pay extra. Paid in advance and received a multi year discount.

That's my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

John
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    My Ooma showed up yesterday. Like Magic Jack, but the call quality is supposed to be better. I'll let you know in a couple days once I activate it.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    Options
    Cheapest/best in my opinion is to get an Obihai box and use free Google Voice. If you aren't concerned about 911, then it is totally free for calls within the US/Canada. If you need 911, then you can add that for about $15 a year.

I've been using the Obi110 for about 3 years now. The cheapest one (Obi100) is less than $45 from Amazon. Hook to router, hook to cordless phone. Setup with Google voice chat and your done. I just use Google voice for voicemail so no need for traditional answering machine either.

Discussion here:
    http://www.obihai.com/googlevoice
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    Cheapest/best in my opinion is to get an Obihai box and use free Google Voice. If you aren't concerned about 911, then it is totally free for calls within the US/Canada. If you need 911, then you can add that for about $15 a year.

I've been using the Obi110 for about 3 years now. The cheapest one (Obi100) is less than $45 from Amazon. Hook to router, hook to cordless phone. Setup with Google voice chat and your done. I just use Google voice for voicemail so no need for traditional answering machine either.

Discussion here:

What phone number does one use with this? Can you get it to use your current home phone (ie. now listed with Comcast)? Cell phone number? New number? Also, if it can use your cell phone number, will it ring your cell AND your Obihai phone at the same time?

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    edited January 2015
    Options
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    billbillw wrote: »

Discussion here:

What phone number does one use with this? Can you get it to use your current home phone (ie. now listed with Comcast)? Cell phone number? New number? Also, if it can use your cell phone number, will it ring your cell AND your Obihai phone at the same time?

You use a new Google Voice number. You can use your existing home number, but it is difficult. You have to port to a burner cell, then port to Google Voice. Google Voice will only port from a Cell #.

I was glad to give up the old land line # that I had because 90% of the calls that came to it were telemarketers, political calls, etc. 3 years with a Google Voice number and I still don't get those calls at home.

As for ringing at home, it will ring when your Google Voice # is dialed. You can set it to also ring your Cell, or Work, or any other number.

I don't think you can make it ring your home when your cell is dialed unless you have some forwarding set on your cell.

The idea with Google Voice is that you never need to give out another phone number. Your Google Voice # can follow you and forward to any other number (ie: if your cell changes). You could even forward it to a land line if you so wished.

Google voice also has spam filtering and number blocking. You can go online and mark #s as spam or block. If spam, the go straight to VM which is stored in spam folder. If blocked, they get a generic "number disconnected" message.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    Options
    I had both magic Jack and Ooma at the same time last year. Both were able to make any connection that I tried but Ooma was absolutely crystal clear while magic could be noisy and a couple of times had a 60hz hum. Got my Ooma at Costco for $79.95
  • starkiller
    Options
    Looks like we are going to have to stick with Comcast for awhile as they will charge us $120 to break our contract. Get this though, wife called them up to discuss options and wanted to know a price for just internet and tv and was told they can't give us a price until we actually break the contract!! Is this ridiculous or what??
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    Options
    I've been using Google Voice for several years now. It's the number I give out and I can have it set up to call my phone, Obi, work - any number I want to and at specific times. So if someone calls my GV number after hours or on the weekends, it'll still ring my cell but not my work number.

For those of you with limited cell minutes, it's great because if you're using the Obi at home (you just plug it into the internet and then a regular home phone system to the obi), it doesn't waste minutes and doesn't cost anything except international.

-Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it