Stupid Rabbit Hole

Options
As my SDA upgrades have sped up, I began to re-evaluate the rest of my 2 channel setup.

I already picked up an amp specifically for the 2.3TLs. After discussing some things with Jesse (thanks for letting me type your ear off bro), I finally settled on a 1 owner, mint Musical Fidelity A5CR amp.

I have had a Peachtree DACiT for a while now and while it isn't an endgame piece by any means, I like it enough to hold on to it for a while longer. It does fine when playing FLAC from my laptop. Not memorable but not bad by any means. I had my eyes on the PS Audio DSDac but as you will see farther down, my funds for that venture have been diminished.

My CDP will continue to be the Cambridge DV89 I picked up for dirt cheap, fully serviced from a local shop. The complaints about this universal player (DVD-A, CD, SACD) revolved around the video side of the player. The transport and audio side are as good, if not better than the 540 from the Azur line. Until I have saved enough scratch to pick up an Esoteric universal player, this also will be "good enough" for the time being.

I will continue to spin albums with my Kenwood KD550 with the Audio Technica AT120E/T cart. Although I am eyeballing a couple of Sumiko options for replacement. (Phono pre will be addressed below). I did recently pick up a Clearaudio Concept record clamp and a Music Hall Mooo Mat for it. Although I haven't had any chances to do any critical listening with either. I also picked up a Spin Clean as nobody wanted to sell me a VPI RCM for ~$150. :#

ICs and SCs throughout will be MIT Terminators. While PCs are all DIY with Carol 10 and 12 awg cable and Oyaide IEC and Edison ends. I will be looking into upgrading to PS Audio or Shunyata in the near future for my PCs.

The rack is the cherry version of my rack I posted up in the Audio Racks thread. I build it slightly larger and out of all cherry and finished it with hand rubbed semi gloss lacquer to match our bedroom furniture. I am also in the process of making a set of cable risers for the SCs from some recovered Walnut from a 125 year old barn. I have a bunch of large boards but I also had a bunch of odds and ends left from the milling, squaring and planing that will make a nice set of 3 or 4 risers per side.

And that brings us to the heart of this post.

The preamp.
I originally had purchased John's Sunfire Symphony Reference pre from him with plans to use it in this system.
When John posted up his Dodd for sale, I began salivating over it but after some discussions with some folks, decided that it wasn't the right direction for me.

So I began a quest to come up with a semi-end game preamp.
I mulled over several options including a couple of older ARC pieces, a McIntosh that didn't really do anything for me at all and a couple of passive options including the SoundKnight Silverstone Balanced TVR.
The transformer based passives appealed to me in that they were really virtually unbreakable. The Silverstone was also very aesthetically pleasing to me. And that complete and total lack of any noise floor...oh yeah. Sub-basement levels here.
But the fact that not only is the original designer no longer in business, the company in Australia that took over for him has gone under as well (no pun intended). The Chinese manufacturer is still in business and selling a variant of this pre today but it is also $1350.

For that price, I would be solidly into some nice used tube and SS pres.

I mulled over the Parasound P5. The idea that I could get rid of my DAC and not have to worry about a phono stage was very appealing. Aesthetically, I found it rather meh but it did offer pretty much everything I wanted in a proven product. But in the end, I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.

I eventually came across a used Cary SLP-03 on A-Gon that appealed to me. It was a little higher than my budget but it also seemed like the semi-endgame piece I was looking for.
I also didn't mind that it was silver.
It didn't have a phono section but as I dug into my research, I found that the world of decent phono stages on a budget was HUGE!

So I began a conversation with the seller on A-Gon. And I shopped around.
I ended up finding a brand new Cary SLP-03 in black that had been special ordered with Mullard 12AU7s for less than 50% of suggested retail.
And I jumped on it.

So I will have my shiny new Cary SLP-03 sometime early next week.

That led me to shopping for a phono pre.
I really wanted the Vincent PHO 8 but in doing some measurements, the dual chassis design was not going to work for my layout.
In the end, I decided on the Cambridge Audio 651P in black. I bought it via Amazon using a $70 gift card and a $35 credit I had on Amazon so it only ended up costing me around $120.

I know this hobby is all about the rabbit hole. I also know that my dream system is currently unreasonable (not entirely unattainable) for my current living arrangements.
But eventually I will own my Magico Q5s run off of a Boulder 2110 pre and 2150 monos with an Esoteric 01 Digital playback system... B)

But for now, my system will be much more modest and I will be happy dammit!!!

SDA 2.3TLs with full mods (minus wiring)...Larry's rings, 800va Dreadnought in a Larry's case, Gimpod boards with Sonicaps Gen 1s, Mills Resistors and Jantzen inductors, RD0198s, Dynamat, Liquid Nails sealed, Blackhole 5 behind the mids, VR3 binding post plates, MIT Terminator 2 IC cable with Speakons...

Cary Audio SLP-03 Musical Fidelity A5CR Peachtree DACiT Cambridge Audio DV89

Kenwood KD550 TT Audio Technica AT120E/T Cambridge Audio 861P

MIT ICs and SCs DIY PCs

Power conditioner/surge protection is still to be purchase but am leaning towards a couple of APC J series for the HT and the 2 channel system. A J25B for the 2 channel and a J35B for the HT.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip

Comments

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Options
    Very nice ZLTFUL. I haven't heard that particular pre, but I know Cary stuff is very nice.

If (by chance) you don't find the pre to be well suited for the rest of your setup, you should absolutely, 100% get PFB's BAT VK-30 in the FM. You will be smiling form ear to ear.

If you find the Cary pre to be well suited to the rest of your set-up, enjoy the excellent tunes sir. :)
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Thanks man. I am looking forward to getting in more auditory play time.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    for the price I think you will be happy with the Cambridge phono preamp, as it is a good little phono-amp + the clamp & mat are also nice little upgrades for your TT.
    Think your making nice little moves. have fun with it also!!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    Thanks. My wife has been shockingly supportive of this part of the journey.
    When I told her about the purchase of the pre last night, she said that she was glad I settled on something. Before she was just rolling her eyes and shaking her head when I would visit my buddy's shop 65820348675 times a week. Hehe

• voltz
    Options
    LOL that I understand too, I look at a dozen over and over before I choose a Graham Slee gram amp 2 SE- so many out there for a budget price to pick from ...but at the price you paid, that was the way to go for sure.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Nice, seems like you have a game plan. Though I might have looked for a MF A5 integrated and scratched the pre all together. The Cary slp03 isn't one of my favorites but it's a step in the right direction for you for sure. There's some mods that can take that pre to the next level and of course, rolling a few tubes won't hurt either. Congrats man, enjoy the journey.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    The "stock" tubes are Electro Harmonix 12AU7s...the Mullards were a special order that the original owner paid extra for...but then ended up going a different direction (had an SLP-05 fall in his lap for a song). So I have one upgrade already done. Hehe.

I was originally going to do the matching MF A5CR pre but it sold before I could jump. Rather than sitting on my hands and waiting, I decided to give the Cary a shot. I know how much Ray loves his Cary CDP...so I figured it was a step in the right direction. Hehe.

• headrott
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The Electro Hamonix 12AU7's are crap, IMO. No offence to you or your pre, but it's a fact.

I highly recommend some Mullard long plate D-getter 12AU7's. They will make your pre sing. At a minimum, I recommend some Amperex long plate 12AU7's. The Mullards will give you a warmer, more musical sound. The Amperex's will give you a more detailed sound.

Are these the Mullards the pre is coming with? The 1968-ish Mullard Long plate 12AU7's? They are phenominal!

What the hell!?! C-r-a-p is censored!?
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Time to get your 2.3tls out of the garage they looked good there when I saw them, can only imagine how nice they will look and sound once you get them hooked up to all your new gear.

The ol rabbit hole gets pretty Slippery When you get just about to the top, that's when you slip down a bit and try making it out again. Can't wait to see some pictures when your done with the latest upgrades.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • chefkungfu
    Options
    Before I joined this forum, I had a simple RT2K, CS350 and LS/Fx with a Sony STR555. Then I found this forum and now I fell into the bottomless rabbit hole! And I keep going further deeper into it! there's no end! Someone please throw a rope down there and pull me out, so I can focus on another rabbit hole.... my drag car.
    Frank.
    SRT Seismic System with dual PSW1200's
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    Don't worry Ryan... Just when you think you've escaped the rabbit hole ... I will be there smiling like a idiot at the top to ready to shove you back down....

Every time...

It's what friends do.... :smiling_imp:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    I am just glad I found the bottom of my rabbit hole. I have a couple peripheral items I need to take care of, but the core is all done.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    headrott wrote: »
    The Electro Hamonix 12AU7's are crap, IMO. No offence to you or your pre, but it's a fact.

I highly recommend some Mullard long plate D-getter 12AU7's. They will make your pre sing. At a minimum, I recommend some Amperex long plate 12AU7's. The Mullards will give you a warmer, more musical sound. The Amperex's will give you a more detailed sound.

Are these the Mullards the pre is coming with? The 1968-ish Mullard Long plate 12AU7's? They are phenominal!

Not sure as even the original purchaser didn't know for certain only that when he ordered it, they offered him an upgrade to "Mullards".
    I am hoping they are not a re-issue.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    edited January 2015
    Options
    dyin' laughing at some of these posts
    much of it due to recognition of the compulsion and periodic moments of clarity we experience where we manage to step back and maybe say to ourselves for a split-split second, wha.. wtf am I doing? it's just a stereo... [shrug]
    and then dive right back in. because, of course, it just HAS to be done right, has to be "finished" properly. right? no sense in half a$$ing it now at this point...
    I can't tell if I'm better off not being quite as deep, or whether it just means I just haven't gotten that far yet :s:)
    I disabled signatures.
  • headrott
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    headrott wrote: »

Not sure as even the original purchaser didn't know for certain only that when he ordered it, they offered him an upgrade to "Mullards".
    I am hoping they are not a re-issue.

Definately let us know what they are. I am hoping they are not reissues as well. I have not personally heard them, but can guarantee they are not as good as the long plate D-getters.

I am hoping that's what they are. :)
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• 55LS70
    55LS70 Posts: 184
    Options
    Those Mullards could be CV4003 box plates. There seems to be quite a few of them around and until recently could be obtained at a reasonable price. I was able to get them for about $50 a pair but in the last couple years that price has gone up to about $100 a pair. I use them, quite a bit, in my N.E.W. P-3 preamp ( built by Cary) and they sound pretty much as headrott described. You'll enjoy that Cary. Good score.
    Decware CSP3 Preamp, RCA 6DJ8, 2 X Rocket 6N1P-EV's, Cary SLA70B Signature V2 Amplifier: 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA/GE 5691's, 4 X Tung-Sol 6550's

Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD Player & Dacmagic DAC

Rega Planar 3: Deep Groove Subplatter, P3 Motor
    upgrade, Dynavector 10x5, JA Michell counterwieght, Cardas tonearm wiring and Mapleshade stand

Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid Phonostage with BEL 6922 tubes, Polk Audio LS70's

H.H. Scott 330D AM/FM Tuner with H.H. Scott 335 Multiplex adaptor.
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    CV491s. That's what it shipped with. They also included the stock EHs in the box.
    No pics as I just popped open the box when I got home from buying new appliances last night.
    Hoping to do a full setup on Saturday.

• ZLTFUL
    Options
    Tax return season (my wife as I always claim just to break even or even owe a small amount (my wife has no problem giving the government interest free loans) and bonus season. My wife gets a 10-12% bonus each year and I get a healthy 2-3% one. LOL.

Funny part is the appliances will be staying with the townhouse (ultimately looking at the selling point of new appliances) and we will be buying all new when we build in a couple of years. Of course, when that happens, the wife already has her whole Viking setup picked out as well as the wood fired stone oven which will cost as much, if not more than my theater build.

But whatever keeps the wife happy keeps me happy!

• ZLTFUL
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Further in we go. Just got shipping confirmation on my latest acquisition...Esoteric DV-50 universal player.

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    Very nice. Thats one hell of a player.

I know how you feel. Just when I thought I was getting out of the rabbit hole it seems to be getting deeper and deeper....and something appears to be pulling me down....
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    Options
    You can just quit the hobby altogether, tell you what, I'll back up my truck to your door and we can just load everything in it, and boom, done. You'll never look back, I'll take of properly disposing of your rig(s). Deal.
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    Clearly Cody has suffered a severe brain trauma at some point today. He is REALLY confused. ;)

• voltz
    edited February 2015
    Options
    smart man Cody, pick me up on the way I'll help ya load up.

you really do have a nice setup so while you wait for your dream setup you be enjoying your music!

• ZLTFUL
    Options
    Now if those stupid inductors would ever show up from Finland...hehe

• ZLTFUL
    Options
    47lbs of hellfire showed up this afternoon...

10991065_10206199409013247_3838034253895616301_n.jpg?oh=c4d66555db64a49c072f51c5b6fb3b89&oe=554DF877&__gda__=1431399970_b0f8dcde46abb2931c48e2e1c22e7433

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    Nice looking beast... I look forward to the review sir.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Very nice, excellent player. Congrats...should keep you happy for a very long time.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    You might be an audiophile when your CD player weights more than your amp..........
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    It's close...the DV-50 is said to weigh 47lbs...it feels like more.
    The A5CR weighs in at 42lbs.

• EndersShadow
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    It's close...the DV-50 is said to weigh 47lbs...it feels like more.
    The A5CR weighs in at 42lbs.

They put steel plates in it to add weight to make it more audiophile friendly.....

(runs to corner giggling)