DC Battery Simulator Thing?

Options
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a power supply thing with alligator clips that will let me simulate a set of batteries for testing of electronics, remotes and such.

I can't for the life of me think of what something like this is called in order to go searching.

anyone know what I'm talking about? should be adjustable for different battery configurations and such.
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello,
    It sounds like you're wanting a variable DC power supply with the current capability to work with the load you plan on using with it. Tenma makes reasonably priced test gear.
    Regards, Ken
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ... and you can get adjustable DC power supplies with various output power capabilities, such as the Tenmas Ken mentioned, at places like http://www.mcmelectronics.com and http://www.partsexpress.com

... and, depending on your specific intention, you can get more modest little DC power supplies -- fixed voltage (e.g., "12 volt" which typically translates to 13.8 VDC, for devices that want 'car battery' voltage) or variable voltage -- with fairly low power capabilities, that may be all that you need.

e.g.,

13.8 VDC fixed, at 10 amp : http://www.radioshack.com/pyramid-ps15kx-10a-power-supply-w-car-power-jack/55057672.html#q=DC+power+supplies&start=6

6 to 12 VDC variable, at 2.5 amp: http://www.radioshack.com/enercell-6-12vdc-2-5-amp-high-power-ac-adapter/2730318.html#.VLQIAyvF_UU

As a side-note, some "modern" digital devices can be pretty picky about being plugged into the proper AC adaptors -- generic DC power supplies may not be suitable, depending on the application.

EDIT:

a couple of other thoughts :-P

Here's a direct link to MCM's entry page for power supplies:
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/category/Power-Supplies/0000001251

... and the analogous page for PartsExpress (their offerings seem to be pretty limited these days):
    http://www.parts-express.com/cat/power-supplies/1474

A really good, cost effective source for things like these power supplies can be a local antique radio or amateur radio ("ham") swapmeet or flea market. Most locales have one, or several, such shindigs a year. They are big fun for the appropriate kind of geek-nerd, and can net the prepared searcher great equipment at very reasonable prices :- )
    Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,453
    edited January 2015
    Options
    wow, great info! thanks guys!

yeah, a variable DC power adapter I think. I don't know much about this stuff at all, so no idea on the current. are these a "max capable delivery" sort of thing, depending on what the device can pull, or is it pushing that much current out? or is the "push" thing more related just to the voltage? for instance, I want to test the light circuit on an old remote. it uses four AAA batteries. I'm thinking I'd need a variable dc power supply set to 6v to get the remote powered up for testing. is this over-simplification?
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The power supply will deliver power (i.e., current at a given voltage) as demanded by the device ("load"), up to the capability of the power supply unit. The power supply will (should!) have a fuse or circuit breaker to protect itself (and also possibly its "load") from overloading. To answer your question, generally speaking it's fine to have more power capability in a power supply than you need. The only - potential - drawback would be a device with a problem such as an internal short and no built in fuse. A power supply that could deliver high current might immolate the device under test, under conditions where just using batteries for a power sourcemight not!

Well -- in the case of your example -- it's probably easier to just throw in four AAA batteries :- )

Power supplies are usually used for things like servicing/bench testing automobile electronics or for "breadboarding" new circuit designs.

You can certainly do what you're suggesting with a P/S capable of delivering 6V and a couple of clip leads. The remote won't draw much current; the current delivery capability of AAA batteries is pretty limited.

BTW, I'm a big fan of clip leads ;- )

14104842739_2b3c90bcf0_b.jpgIMG_0340 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
  • msg
    edited January 2015
    Options
    great, thanks. and what kinda Frankenstein thing is that you're working on?!? lol

I would just use the batteries if I could, but when I work on these remotes, I have to split the case and remove the back and the back is where the batteries go :)
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ahh, I see your point -- yes, makes sense.

The photo is a Fostex T90A supertweeter atop one of my Altec 604E "Duplex" (coaxial) studio monitor loudspeakers. The tweeters were experimentally installed with a very high, first order crossover and a variable L-pad to match the output of the (VERY) sensitive tweeters with the output of the (very) sensitive Duplexes.

The experiment was a success -- but the tweeters are still wired in as they appear in the photo :-P (I am nothing if not profoundly lazy...)

14104855819_3fb8955d15_b.jpgIMG_0341 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
  • msg
    edited January 2015
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ahh, I see your point -- yes, makes sense.

The photo is a Fostex T90A supertweeter atop one of my Altec 604E "Duplex" (coaxial) studio monitor loudspeakers. The tweeters were experimentally installed with a very high, first order crossover and a variable L-pad to match the output of the (VERY) sensitive tweeters with the output of the (very) sensitive Duplexes.

The experiment was a success -- but the tweeters are still wired in as they appear in the photo :-P (I am nothing if not profoundly lazy...)
    LOL, well I can relate, and I would just say that you're practical. not finishing this properly frees a genius to work on other things? that would be my story, anyway. minus the genius part. more, absent-minded professor :)

that's pretty cool, btw.
    and you built these speakers?

I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    It's not pretty when I butcher wood; I had them built for me by a cabinetmaker friend in Massachusetts.