DIY RCA cables

Options
I'm looking at addressing my analog cables in my stereo rig. I'd like to replace the cables from my Technics SL-1500 as well as the RCA cables that go from the phono preamp (haven't bought this yet, considering the bugle II kit) and RCAs from my receiver to the poweramp. I was considering the Blue Jeans LC1 cables but they don't recommend using those for soldered connections (inside turntable) as they are difficult to work with, according to them. I'm also interested in used cables, as I'm on a bit of a budget. I've been setting aside funds from craigslist sales and almost have enough for the Bugle II kit but may need to save some more before I can upgrade my cables.

If I build my own cables, what type of cable and connectors would you recommend? For the TT I know that lower capacitance is best. I've considered trying to add an RCA panel on the back of the TT but it looks like that would be difficult to implement as the bottom portion is plastic and angled downward.
2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server

Comments

• ambiophonics
    Options
    Hmm, maybe I should have made the title of the thread something more eye catching like - "do cables even matter"... :o
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    Hmm, maybe I should have made the title of the thread something more eye catching like - "do cables even matter"... :o

Or I spent $100K for cables on Ebay and they were shipped to Russia and they won't refund my money...

• ambiophonics
    Options
    The system won't allow me to both "like" and "lol" that comment.

Or I spent $100K for cables on Ebay and they were shipped to Russia and they won't refund my money...

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    ...I should have made the title - "Do cables even matter"... :o
    NOOO! Don't even so much as entertain the notion!

You'll stir up more garbage than 100 waste disposal companies could haul away working 24/7/365!!

Someone started a similar thread on the DiyAudio forum. Four years & forty THOUSAND replies later the moderators closed it.

Don't get me wrong: "Cables DO matter." They, just like the more overlooked room, ARE components. Balance, moderation, & perspective are key.

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    If your thinking of making you own Analog Interconnects you can get some wire at Doug's site (Douglas connections)
    http://douglasconnection.com/Furez-FZ162AA-Analog-Interconnect-Cable-Raw-FZ162.htm

and then you have to get some RCA connectors and be able to solder them onto the cables, which is a major pain to me ... like 1 wire in the center cup and the other on to the inside wall of the connect. (no Fun) Making your own speaker cables is a lot easier then IC's are to make.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • ambiophonics
    Options
    Well, I added RCA jacks to the TT - now I just need to find some economical cables to try with it. I'm thinking I'll try 3 sets - from TT to preamp, preamp to receiver, and receiver to poweramp. Should be a nice upgrade from the generic cables I've been using. Still eyeing the Blue Jean LC-1.
  • ambiophonics
    Options
    9y6mig566aes.jpg
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    ^^ been thinking about doing that with my Yamaha YP-D6 - the Dual already has RCA inside the box which is a great feature. Pretty easy to do?
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    MM/MI or MC cartridge?

For MM/MI pay attention to cable* capacitance* - can affect FR. I believe that* has little, if any, effect on MC high or low output.

Enjoy!
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • ambiophonics
    Options
    I'm using MM currently - installing the RCAs was kind of a pain. The chassis is aluminum and has bracing on the inside blocking some potential placement options. The RCAs also had to be isolated from the chassis to keep the original wiring setup. Hopefully it was worth the hassle.
  • ambiophonics
    Options
    I like the specs of the blue jean LC1 (very low capacitance) but to get the three cables I need for my analog cables will set me back $100, not a ton of cash but I've made a pact to sell things on CL and put the cash towards upgrades so I better get selling!