An alternative wireless modem/ router for Xfinity?

Options
Merry Christmas Polks:
Been surfing on the net and would like to know if you guys got any 2centsfor me. Dont want to spend more than 50bucks. Cheers.
Godspeed,
D0661E

AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-07
Surrounds: RTis
2channel:Rti100 (carver driven
Sub:SVS PB12-Plus/2
Dedicated AMPs:Adcom GFA535, 2xCarver 1.5t, Carver m1.0t
Wsrn:Hitachi ultra vision LCD60, 32XBR400
PowerConditioner: MonsterC HTS5100
PS3, Toshiba HD A2, etc: SonySACD/ Panasonic gears DIVX.

MR3LIGION: Polkaudio; GSXR; E46; Reeftank;
Odyclub; Xsimulator; Sony; Zune; Canon

Comments

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    I'm not clear what you're looking for:
    1) An alternative modem to the standard one you get with an Xfinity subscription?
    2) A good wireless router that you can use with your Xfinity subscription?

A couple of years ago I searched wide and far for a way to purchase a modem to use with my Xfinity subscription, and at that time it was proprietary to Comcast. Consumers could not buy them for what seemed to be obvious reasons: Comcast did not want users to get access to programing they did not pay for.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I believe you can still piggyback another router on to theirs, but replace the whole thing....uh no. Plus for a fifty you aren't getting anything better.

Curious as to why you want to replace it though. Having a problem maybe we can help you with ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    I am pretty much being forced to upgrade my Comcast modem since they won't leave me alone.

I'll be getting it in a month or so and then can look forward to doing the install myself...NOT!

I'm hoping that it will be as easy as simply plugging my phone, cable cord, and Lynksys network plugs into the back of the new modem and hopefully everything will find itself and I'll be all set. Crosses fingers.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    Yea, I know how Comcast has a way of forced upgrades when it comes to cable boxes, etc. Comcast also advertises on TV how great and helpful (helpful in raising their rates every year) their service crews are. Maybe they can come out and set up your new modem or router for about $25.00?
  • shadowlight
    Options
    When I had xfinity. I asked comcast to give me modem with out wireless built in and got my own wireless router. Not sure if they still do that or not.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    Options
    If you have one of those all-in-one modems with the router built in, immediately bridge the modem so that it only acts as a modem. Those things are garbage. I was paying for 50 gbs down, and actually only getting 1-10 gbs wirelessly. Once I bought my own router, I was getting 35-40 gbs anywhere in the house. the only problem is you have to contact Comcast to bridge the modem...depending on who you talk to, good luck with that.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • jhw59
    jhw59 Posts: 348
    Options
    I only got the "blast" speeds I paid for when I bought a dual band router and used the 5ghz option in DE. Buy your own modem, it's easy to install but be sure to check the approved Comcast list and get one of the "3" types for fastest speed. I bought a nused cisco on on flea bay and an open box router on Amazon. As long as you buy one of the modems on the list, comcast will provide support.
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    Options
    jhw59 wrote: »
    I only got the "blast" speeds I paid for when I bought a dual band router and used the 5ghz option in DE. Buy your own modem, it's easy to install but be sure to check the approved Comcast list and get one of the "3" types for fastest speed. I bought a nused cisco on on flea bay and an open box router on Amazon. As long as you buy one of the modems on the list, comcast will provide support.

Any chance you could list the 3 approved modems? Thinking about switching from Centurylink DSL to Comcast early this year but want to maximize my speed to make the switch worth it.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited January 2015
    Options
    doggie750 wrote: »
    Merry Christmas Polks:
    Been surfing on the net and would like to know if you guys got any 2centsfor me. Dont want to spend more than 50bucks. Cheers.

For $50 your might as well stick with what comcast gives you even though it is a POS modem/router.
    A couple of years ago I searched wide and far for a way to purchase a modem to use with my Xfinity subscription, and at that time it was proprietary to Comcast. Consumers could not buy them for what seemed to be obvious reasons: Comcast did not want users to get access to programing they did not pay for.

Actually I think it had more to do with the monthly modem rental fees than any "access to programing".
    tonyb wrote: »
    I believe you can still piggyback another router on to theirs, but replace the whole thing....uh no. Plus for a fifty you aren't getting anything better.

Your right you can run your own router on there modem but it needs to be put in bridge mode by comcast you can't do it yourself. It's a pain in the rear end (WTF you can't even say b u t t, give me a break) though `cause every time it needs a full reset you have to call comcast to put it back in bridge mode, also as far as I could tell there is no way to turn the wifi off in bridge mode or not. You can use your own modem as long as it's compatible here's a link.

mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/
    tonyb wrote: »
    Curious as to why you want to replace it though. Having a problem maybe we can help you with ?

Because hardware & software wise those SMC modem/routers are a big POS and are notorious for having a very weak WiFi signal. Just do a google search.

I got so feed up with always having to mess with that SMC D3gnhv pos that I sent it back and replaced it with a Motorola SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem (the money I saved on modem rental has more than paid for it) paired it with an old D-Link WBR-1310 wireless router I had laying around. Now I'm getting download speeds of almost 60Mbps

753034844.png
    4031247471.png

BTW: If you get your own modem just make sure it's DOCSIS 3.0 compatible.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    This is the modem I use with Comcast/Xfinity. As much as I dislike Comcast, the modem works just fine, and I don't pay to rent one of theirs. It should still be available for another hour or two on Woot for 40 bucks.

http://www.woot.com/offers/motorola-sb6121-docsis-3-0-cable-modem?ref=cnt_wp_0_1
  • jhw59
    jhw59 Posts: 348
    Options
    TNHNDYMAN wrote: »
    jhw59 wrote: »

Any chance you could list the 3 approved modems? Thinking about switching from Centurylink DSL to Comcast early this year but want to maximize my speed to make the switch worth it.

I means DOCSIS 3. Here is a link to approved modems

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/
  • trj
    trj Posts: 320
    Options
    My advise would be motorola sb6121 as well. Its DOCSIS 3 supporting and should be below or around $50 (check staples, they have coupons regularly). Works with comcast. You will need to call comcast to register the mac address of the modem. I am using its bigger brother sb6141 and cheaper Dlink wireless dual band wireless router which has two USB ports. I have my printer and external hard disk connected to those USBs. Serves as a media center and wireless network printer.
    No more paying for stupid monthly rentals and I think I made my money back in less than a year.
    However, if you phone line from comcast then you might be out of luck. There are not many choices(if any) than their own modem.

Sony BDP-S6500 | Raspberry Pi 2 | XBOX One S | Wii --> Yamaha RX-V667 --> Adcom 5006 bridged to 175 watts for front LCR -- >Front: Polk Audio RTi8s | Center: CSi5 | Side Surrounds: RTi4s | Rear surrounds: FXiA4s | Cheap 12" sub woofer|Samsung UN60KU6300