New Furez Cable = WOW

Options
Hello there,

Well I took people advice and called Doug @ Douglas Connection. After speaking with Doug I ordered Furez 10AWG cable. I received the cable last Wednesday, I got the time to make them look good today (I am a warehouseman not a cable manufacture). I used GLS Audio locking plugs with some cable sleeving and a little heat shrink.

rax8ziajw909.jpg
rrrhk6w3tnfg.jpg

So swap out the Monoprice 12AWG for the Furez and put a little Peter Gabriel So on. HELLO :) the detail was so much more rich and just amazing. I then went for a listen of some Rush 2112 once again it was a lot better rich full sound with no harsh tweeter noise that is normal for the CD. Next up was my beloved Scorpions Moment of Glory SACD oh the front sound stage is so sweet. We watched Dawn of the planet of the apes tonight, once again just a sweet full front sound stage. My wife asked me if I had changed anything on the stereo, If her non audio ears could tell something was different, its good stuff.

Monoprice wire is just JUNK. I got impressive results from just moving up to a decent speaker cable.

Next upgrade Parasound A23 shooting for March/April for that one.
When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• helipilotdoug
    Options
    Nice Job Loren!! :D Glad you like that 10AWG cable.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited December 2014
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »
    Hello there,

Well I took people advice and called Doug @ Douglas Connection. After speaking with Doug I ordered Furez 10AWG cable. I received the cable last Wednesday, I got the time to make them look good today (I am a warehouseman not a cable manufacture). I used GLS Audio locking plugs with some cable sleeving and a little heat shrink.

rax8ziajw909.jpg
    rrrhk6w3tnfg.jpg

So swap out the Monoprice 12AWG for the Furez and put a little Peter Gabriel So on. HELLO :) the detail was so much more rich and just amazing. I then went for a listen of some Rush 2112 once again it was a lot better rich full sound with no harsh tweeter noise that is normal for the CD. Next up was my beloved Scorpions Moment of Glory SACD oh the front sound stage is so sweet. We watched Dawn of the planet of the apes tonight, once again just a sweet full front sound stage. My wife asked me if I had changed anything on the stereo, If her non audio ears could tell something was different, its good stuff.

Monoprice wire is just JUNK. I got impressive results from just moving up to a decent speaker cable.

Next upgrade Parasound A23 shooting for March/April for that one.

Ya know......hate to say we told you so, but....lol. Glad you like them and they are working out in your system. Give them some burn in time and they should open up some.

We say it a million times around here, cables matter, and you do not have to spend the kids college fund to obtain decent cables.

BTW...nice job on the connectors and shrink wrap. Enjoy
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Congrats and nice job on the new cables! Like Tony said, give them some burn in time and they well just keep getting better. ENJOY!!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • tonyb
    Options
    Hey Voltz,

Don't make me chase you down for a review of your AP cables bro. I've been known to send Cathy to peoples houses when they skirt reviews.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • voltz
    Options
    I know :)

Just hoping for more time around Christmas.. working 10 hours a day and Saturdays leaves me feeling like I just eat & Sleep and work. hoping to enjoy my time with them during 2 weeks I'm off and not watching Bowl games LOL.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nice job on the cables! Your not a warehouse man, you are a surgeon. :)
  • footwedge
    Options
    Mrloren, please give particulars on the material used and where purchased for the heat shrink and cable sleeve. Nice looking plugs for $3/ea. Also, please mention the tools used.

Did you use 2 sizes for the sleeving?

I want to try this myself
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    Is it just me or do I see halos around the cables...divine intervention???

:)

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • voltz
    edited December 2014
    Options
    FW for shrink wrap I would look for 3:1 over 2:1 for shrinking for cables . for sleeves look on ebay and they come in many sizes but- need a hot iron/rope cutter to burn thru it to keep sleeves from unraveling. think Parts-express is good for shrink wrap.

also there are cable splitters and cable pants for where the wires separate. they are not needed but add to looks. though I never like the pants.

• RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    they look great, good job.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Thank you for the nice comments. More thanks goes to Doug at Douglas Connections

These wires took me a couple of hours to make and only cost like $15 for the sleeve and shrink. I went to a local electrical supply store http://www.we-supply.com/index.htm for the sleeving and heat shrink. I used 1/2" sleeving and heat shrink for the main cable, 3/8 heat shrink for the plugs. I had some small sleeving from when I use to mod PC power supplies. For tools I only needed my trusty warehouse box knife, harbor freight $10 heat gun and wire strippers. I had the GLS audio locking plugs from years ago.

These wires are just amazing. The sound is so much more detail and open. I cant wait to get them burned in. Thank you again Doug :smiley: My center channel has come to life with this Furez wire.

Yes I did notice the halos in the pictures. I am a devout Catholic so it must be a blessing from above :smiley: or it could just be the flash from my iPhone. I like to think it's GOD showing an audio blessing.

So I still want an AMP, I am going to save for a Parasound A23, I would like an A31 but that is way out of budget. I was thinking of going Emotiva but I want to do it right and get a Parasound.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • tonyb
    Options
    If you still want an amp, look for the Parasound HCA 1200 or 1500. Used around 4-600 and you can always sell down the road and lose next to nothing in coinage when your ready for the Halo series.
    Don't let the low price fool you on these amps. Yes, they are older and not as pretty as the Halo's, but SQ wise....you won't do better.

You may even forget about the Halo's after having one of the HCA's in your system, especially if your going to stay RTI series.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    After your cables have burned in and you're ready for the next upgrade, buy a set of Furez silver plated copper bananas. I went from high quality brass to these, and the improvement from the opening notes of the first cd played were not subtle.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • footwedge
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »
    Thank you for the nice comments. More thanks goes to Doug at Douglas Connections

These wires took me a couple of hours to make and only cost like $15 for the sleeve and shrink. I went to a local electrical supply store http://www.we-supply.com/index.htm for the sleeving and heat shrink. I used 1/2" sleeving and heat shrink for the main cable, 3/8 heat shrink for the plugs. I had some small sleeving from when I use to mod PC power supplies. For tools I only needed my trusty warehouse box knife, harbor freight $10 heat gun and wire strippers. I had the GLS audio locking plugs from years ago.

These wires are just amazing. The sound is so much more detail and open. I cant wait to get them burned in. Thank you again Doug :smiley: My center channel has come to life with this Furez wire.

Yes I did notice the halos in the pictures. I am a devout Catholic so it must be a blessing from above :smiley: or it could just be the flash from my iPhone. I like to think it's GOD showing an audio blessing.

So I still want an AMP, I am going to save for a Parasound A23, I would like an A31 but that is way out of budget. I was thinking of going Emotiva but I want to do it right and get a Parasound.

Thanks. So the heat shrink I see in the bottom photo (close up of plugs) is all 3/8" around butt end of plug to the overlap with the smaller sleeve material?
  • mrloren
    Options
    yes, 3/8" over the plug and smaller sleeving. The Furez cable is in-wall cable so the outer jacket is 1/2", I sleeved that with 1/2" sleeving and heat shrink. the speaker leads I used smaller sleeving and 3/8" heat shrink. I am sorry I don't know the size of the smaller sleeving, I've had it for years.

I thought of putting the sleeving over the plug when the thought of a kid pinching them together on the one speaker that the back is semi exposed. Now I have no worries of shorts.

All this was just for looks, only thing that helps in SQ are the plugs and as soon as I have the $150 to spend I will get the silver Furez plugs from Doug.
  • footwedge
    Options
    I just ordered some ic's from Doug and looking at his cables. Currently using Belden 5000ue 12 awg. I have an amp, used b&k 200.2, on the way and will wait a little while before buying some better cables. I guess this will allow me to hear if better cables equal better sound.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,428
    edited December 2014
    Options
    footwedge wrote: »
    I have an amp, used b&k 200.2, on the way.
    niiiiice. you should enjoy that B&K. what are you going to use for the front end?
    are you going to use the XLR's?

I disabled signatures.
  • footwedge
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    footwedge wrote: »
    I have an amp, used b&k 200.2, on the way.
    niiiiice. you should enjoy that B&K. what are you going to use for the front end?
    are you going to use the XLR's?

LSI 7s and rca.
  • msg
    Options
    cool. I was meaning what kind of receiver are you using. are you going to be using the SC-27 in your sig?
    I'm getting ready to try out some LSi7's myself in a little office system with an old Realistic receiver, probably.
    I disabled signatures.
  • footwedge
    Options
    The 27 will handle the center and surrounds and the b&k will take care of the 7's.

I have a vintage pioneer SX 1080 that I plan to use in the garage but need to find some speakers. Also have a SX 880 in original box and was the first receiver I purchased back in 1981.
  • msg
    Options
    nice. I enjoy the older stuff.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrloren
    Options
    Just an update,

My kid is home from college, she has been catching up on her movies. Today I come home from work and she ask what have I done to the stereo? I said nothing just changed speaker wire. Well a 3.4GPA aeronautics engineer student went on to tell me about how that can be a major difference when getting the signal to the speakers. She said she loves how much better it sounds. I showed her the monoprice 12awg that was there and the Furez that is there now. She said the Furez is a higher quality cable which will give a higher quality sound.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Good story. If she were an EE and tried to tell you how all wire is the same then you would have to disown her for not learning anything. Not a pleasant thing to do during the holidays. Glad everything is fine. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    Options
    Very nice job on the cables. I might have to check out Furez.
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • mrloren
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Good story. If she were an EE and tried to tell you how all wire is the same then you would have to disown her for not learning anything. Not a pleasant thing to do during the holidays. Glad everything is fine. :)

Well she said the opposite. I had to sit through a 10 minuet lecture on how different cables work and the way the copper strands are made can affect the signal from A to B. Cheap cables equal cheap copper so they wont be as good as good copper wires. Then she went on about how an audio signal goes from the receiver to the speaker and how the quality of the copper can affect that. I didn't understand a lot of what she was saying but I understood enough.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Cables are cables. Buy the cheapest you can find with solid connectors. (internet wisdom)
    - signed the Grinch.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Maybe Red...Santa will bring you a new peace pipe...with some not so cheap stuff to put in it. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    Cables are cables. Buy the cheapest you can find with solid connectors. (internet wisdom)
    - signed the Grinch.
    -

De gustibus non est disputandum.

If you cannot hear a difference in your system and in your listening area, then you shouldn't spend money on cables beyond what you have that now satisfy your "ears" and appetite for good sound.

Those of us who can and do hear differences among various cables have other choices to make.

C'est la vie!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• mrloren
    Options
    the college kid went back to school today. I think she burned in the cables nicely, the sound is just fantastic. best HT money I have spent in a long time.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    I would not say monoprice cable is junk, far from it I think. I remember doing my first cable shootout after joining the forum and it was a whole bunch of 'junk ' wire. The monoprice has way more bass and mids and the lil speakers almost seemed like they had more power.

I want to get some Furez ac cables and try them against more expensive ac cables. I have a real hard time trying to hear the diff in sound with ac cables over $500 as it becomes very marginal to detect.