Crap, THIS IS SO COOL!

So, for the first time in yeaaaaars I have a decent PC. Just not a huge priority in my life as I could get by with phone/iPad combo. I've wanted a PC for a bit to get Steam going since both of my brothers play it, and a handful of friends. My brother gifted me a dual core i5 build, I had to purchase Windows and the hard-drive. I went with a 120gb SSD and a 3tb spinner. Boot times are great, 13 seconds or so, and everything loads/plays very well. I'll look at a CPU upgrade tax season if this thing leaves me wanting, so far so good. I'm loving having a keyboard in front of me and most of all a mouse, it's the little things I guess.

BUT, the very best part is now I can finally rip lossy onto the machine and beam it to my Squeezebox. Wow, just wow. The ease of this is going to be like no other. I've already spun a few tracks through it and if I did have any doubts of the quality of lossy>SQB I was very, very wrong. This sounds better than my Oppo I feel like, and will be great to put on random for parties. Sounds like I'll be spending the next few weeks ripping music like a mad man, wish me luck. Thanks to everyone who encourages everyone to try this method out, it's well worth it.

-Cody

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    You still need me to call to discuss ripping? Lol sounds like you got a decent handle on it.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Please don't kill the cd's Skip!! lol Not til I have em all ripped to my hard drive!! Cody's in for a fun project, that's for sure.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    DSkip wrote: »
    Yes. CDs are dead - at least playing the physical medium. They have their role still, but that role will soon be dead within the next decade. Dac's are finally reaching the point where they are on par with decent CD players, so the move is inevitable.

Dead ? May be in a general term, but vinyl is also dead too....remember that ? None of the formats really completely go away. Some people still use cassette players.

Digital still has a way to go, but the potential is there. Part of the problem is uniformity, ease of use....2 characteristics that older generations like. Of course once set up it's easy to use but older folks don't like computers in general.

Downloading software, various file formats that will play on one device but not another, then converting those files, streaming.....routers, troubleshooting, gets too complicated for the older crowd. When digital, and the industry in general, can come up with some uniform, easy way to connect and play, you will draw the older crowd in like flys to a cows tail in the summer.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    BTW Cody, congrats on streaming bro. Gonna change the way you listen, and once you add a good dac in the mix, you'll never spin a cd again.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    tonyb wrote: »
    BTW Cody, congrats on streaming bro. Gonna change the way you listen, and once you add a good dac in the mix, you'll never spin a cd again.

Believe it or not, one of my first thoughts was 'Man this sounds good, I wonder what it would sound like with a DAC in the mix?'. Building all the folders the way I want it is kind of annoying, but its a one and done thing. Brings me back to the old days with Napster, and how awful my library was set up. We won't be having a repeat of that. Coffee is brewing, and CD's are ripping. Great start to the week.
  • EndersShadow
    codyc1ark wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

Believe it or not, one of my first thoughts was 'Man this sounds good, I wonder what it would sound like with a DAC in the mix?'. Building all the folders the way I want it is kind of annoying, but its a one and done thing. Brings me back to the old days with Napster, and how awful my library was set up. We won't be having a repeat of that. Coffee is brewing, and CD's are ripping. Great start to the week.

I will give you a call around 5pm eastern tomorrow to discuss. I've got some thoughts on this that may help ya out.

I am glad you finally got it all setup. I myself am debating some long term projects to wire my house for Cat-5e, build a media server to stream all my music and movies to any room in the house.

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • codyc1ark
    I can't for the life of me understand why downloading and streaming at the same time causes buffering issues? It seems like my router should be able to handle both, and since I'm not sending the music out of my network I shouldnt have an issue.
  • tonyb
    Sometimes it's a combination of things. Your router, your internet service, size of the files downloading and or streaming.

If you have the lowest rung service plan, the cheapest router, that's going to bring up issues. Not saying you do, just as an example. For the time being though, download all your stuff first, then stream.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • codyc1ark
    Why do you always gotta bag on my internet service Tony?!? Kidding, I've got a 15 meg plan, that will allow me to download at 1 meg? I still don't know how THAT works, but it's Mediacom so what can you do? I think most of my issues will be solved the 28th when my neighbor who has been piggybacking with an extender downstairs is moving. Never again doing that.
  • EndersShadow
    codyc1ark wrote: »
    Why do you always gotta bag on my internet service Tony?!? Kidding, I've got a 15 meg plan, that will allow me to download at 1 meg? I still don't know how THAT works, but it's Mediacom so what can you do? I think most of my issues will be solved the 28th when my neighbor who has been piggybacking with an extender downstairs is moving. Never again doing that.

Ouch man your asking for trouble w that if he's pirating movies

• codyc1ark
    Who said it was a 'he'? You think *I'D* be that nice to a dude??
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    if she is pirating movies and you are increasing your downloads, you might hit that 350GB data cap Mediascam introduced a while back...
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • codyc1ark
    I don't know how this 'pirating movies' got brought up. She can barely use a PC, let alone steal movies.

Anyway, I'd like an app for my PC that allows me to control as well, mainly to see what's playing if I don't recognize it. Any ideas?
  • EndersShadow
    Squeezebox has one homes
  • codyc1ark
    Don't call me homes, chollo.