Upgrading to A5's or A7's...power question

Options
New guy here, go easy!
Going to be upgrading an entire 5.1 system. Currently running a 10yr old Sony ES AVR (happy with it, but no HDMI connections) and 4 RSS series Polk bookshelf speakers with matching center I picked up from a relative used, 10yrs ago.
Wanting to go with A7's or A5's up front, probably A5's as I do run a powered sub. I keep reading that they are power hungry speakers and sound best when pushed. Does this refer to volume? Do they need to be played loud to sound their best?
Was considering a Sony DN 1050 as an upgrade, but I don't think it has a pre amp out? The more I read, power amps seem to be used a lot with the A5's and 7's.
If you can't tell, I'm a bit confused. My room is 16' x 24', 8' ceiling on the viewing end 14' high where the TV and fronts would be located. The room is open on one side, and will have a laminate wood floor.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    what we mean by saying that they need to be "pushed" is you need good quality amplification. I can think of no receiver that will do that except maybe some of the upper Pioneer Elite's. Unless you are very good at the volume knob you may very well blow tweeters without good clean current to those speakers.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Agreed, If you get a AVR with pre outs you keep the option open even if it is for a later date that you add Amp to the set-up. I have the 7's and ran them with a underpowered Denon 1911 for awhile, (but I do not recommend it). I had to keep the volume down so I didn't clip a tweeter or damage them. the they didn't really sound great till I got a new AVR with pre outs & added a Amp to power the fronts letting my AVR power the rear surrounds.

might try Accessories4less if you looking for a different AVR.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Azguy
    Azguy Posts: 16
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies.
  • French_guy
    Options
    From what i've read, the A5 are not hard to drive and a good AVR should be plenty enough
    But on the other hand, people are saying the A7 sounded better with external amp
    But for any speaker, it's important to have quality watts rather then quantity...
    RTiA5 + CSiA4 + Jamo SW410E
    Yamaha TSR-700 (equivalent to RX V6A)
    No surround...yet
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    All speakers benefit from lots of good power whether 8ohms or 4ohms, though the 4s it is pretty much mandatory to have lots of power. Even bookshelfs benefit from it.

I always recommend to get at least 200wpc, since this seems to be the ideal power that people can actually HEAR the difference lots of power makes. Just ask Nbrowser.

There are plenty of amps out there now that you can have both quality and quantity without breaking the bank.

The usual brands are Parasound, Rotel, Sunfire, Emotiva, Outlaw, B&K, Adcom, & Nad.

You can get more bang for your buck looking on Audiogon for a used amp. The people on there know the value of their gear and treat it well, making shopping used less frightful.

There is also the fact that this gear is made to last for years so that you can usually get a piece that will keep you happy for years to come.

Happy shopping and Welcome to Club Polk!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2