Epik Subs Time To Say Goodbye

Options
Polkie2009
Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
Unfortunately, Chad's having to shut it down after having a very disappointing year of dealing with numerous premature amp failures in his Empire and Legend subs. Most likely due to inferior and cheap Chinese components used in the plate amps. I'm sure there are other internet direct electronics companies who have to deal with the same type of failures, guess that's the downside of buying cheaper products. I've been fortunate, my 2 Empires I've had since they came out years ago(3-4?) are running strong. One possible reason for this is I always__ unplug my total system after I've used my HT and I don't push my subs AVR sub level past 0 db. I have to wonder if many of the Epik amp failures are due to owners always leaving the sub plugged into the wall outlet ,sleep mode, or pushing the sub's amp way too hard.(Being it is a sealed design and not able to produce the BOOM of a ported sub. Just my 2 cents.
Post edited by Polkie2009 on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Could be a combination of those thoughts. Again, even though not always the case.....you get what you pay for in most circumstances.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,036
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Passive subs are the way to go for me. Sad to see Epik leave the market.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Epik Valor (sealed) sub owner here.

Overall I'm happy with my sub and sad to see Chad leaving the market.

I did have the plate amp go bad on mine after about 6 months of use - Chad sent me a replacement and it has been fine ever since.

My amp is dialed in with a very low volume and low xover for my tastes so it is not being pushed hard at all - even when I crank up the volume. I leave the sub on all the time and in 'standby' - when it detects a signal it 'kicks' in :cheesygrin:

I'll use mine for quite some time - don't see a need to upgrade at this point and would only dump it if it failed.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Too bad, those were "good" subs, especially for the money. But quality control in an era of having to constantly "source" from others has even dug deep into monster companies like Toyota whose "recalls" have reached new highs in recent times.

You can't have an endless chain of suppliers who you have NO control over without the chain breaking at some point. It's a WONDER that MORE things don't explode or fall apart well before their due date!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • HHStuart
    HHStuart Posts: 263
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Hate to see them go. I wanted one of their subs for a long time. I really like my Epik Legend. Tempted to buy a back up but I don't know where I would put it.
    Front - Polk LSiM 705, Center - Polk LSiM 704c, Rear - Polk LSi 7
    Subwoofer - Epik Legend
    Receiver (as Preamp) - Sony STR-DA3400 ES
    Amplifier - Outlaw 7125
    Television - 58" Samsung Plasma PN58B860
    Blu Ray - OPPO BDP 83
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited January 2014
    Options
    HHStuart wrote: »
    Hate to see them go. I wanted one of their subs for a long time. I really like my Epik Legend. Tempted to buy a back up but I don't know where I would put it.
    When i first heard about it I contacted them to see if they would offer a discount if I picked it up as I am close. When they contacted me the next day they were sold out on all the complete subs. I was hoping to pick up a Legend B-Stock for about $250 to try out. Oh well, sad anytime a passionate small audio company goes under.

Now back to my plan of supporting the other small guy Stereo Integrity...going to build a 15" or 18" sealed.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Not an owner of an Epik and not happy that people you know go out of buisness but there is one thing that bothers me about somethng Polkie said. He was of the people who believe shuting down an amp saves them.I clearly remeber having an entire multi page thread on the merits and who leaves amps on and off. I believe the overwhelming majority said they left their amps on which did surprise me at the time andI still shut mine off after use. That being said I turn and look at my Klipsch sub which is powered and I have never shut that thing down unless I had a power failure or threatening lightening storm. I guess I'm a hypocrit but what happened to that therory of amps on all the time.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • northernwind
    northernwind Posts: 57
    edited January 2014
    Options
    When ever I turn on and off my sub,the amp makes a poping sound.That is much more bothersome then me leaving it on all the time.I feel like it does the amp more bad then good if you keep turning it on/off,so I just leave mine on standby at all time.
  • Polkie2009
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I'm just afraid to leave any_ of my AV equipment plugged in to the wall all the time. I may not be at home to unplug the HT when the mother of all thunderstorms comes through town,lol. Apparently, my power in my area goes off a number of times throughout the year, going by how many times I have come home and noticed the clock flashing 12:00 on the microwave. I read about some EPIK Legend owners who leave their sub plugged in all the time (in standby mode) would hear it make a rumble sometimes even if they didn't have a signal running to the sub. Like the sub's amp would wake up and make a sporadic noise or something. I just can't help to think a number of electronics being made today are using chintzy electronic caps,resistors,transistors,power supplies from China and the work ok for a while , but fail prematurely. They just don't make 'em like they used to.
  • northernwind
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Ah that's right,usa has some humungous thunderstorm.Down here in toronto CA,there is rarely any thunder storm,maybe once a year.So I can certainly see your concern about leaving your av on if the place your from has the occasional bad storm.
  • Phasewolf
    Phasewolf Posts: 514
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Plate amps for the most part are crap. The caps they use on them are of the cheapest construction and it is a Wonder they work at all. China makes tons of fake parts and I am not surprised they did not have more amps die then what unfolded.

There are better plate amps they could of sourced and not all of them would of even been that much more cost wise then the ones they used.

Sad to see them go they had a nice sub line.
    Absolute corruption empowers absolutely.

Lg 55LW5600 TV
    Onkyo PR-SC 5508
    Legacy Audio Focus SE
    Legacy Audio Silverscreen HD center
    Polk F/X500i Rears
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Sunfire Grand Cinema
    Behringer iNUKE NU6000DSP
    Pair of CraigSUB SS-18.1
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,147
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Yes, I'm very sad to see Epik go. I'm an owner of two Empires.

My first amp went after about 6mo. The second amp went in the first 5 minutes of use. Never the less, the customer service Chad exercised was first rate, getting replacement amps out pronto and even including tools to replace it as well as return postage for the bad amp.

My subs have been perfect ever since. I was hoping to get two more Empires with total confidence. Very sad to see this one go.

So far, the next closest sub performance and price-wise IMO would be the XS30 from Power Sound Audio.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • northernwind
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Now imagine how someone who own something like the submersive or captivator might feel.....This has worried me a little,considering how much one pays for one of those sub.
  • rtart
    rtart Posts: 817
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    I'm just afraid to leave any_ of my AV equipment plugged in to the wall all the time. I may not be at home to unplug the HT when the mother of all thunderstorms comes through town,lol. Apparently, my power in my area goes off a number of times throughout the year, going by how many times I have come home and noticed the clock flashing 12:00 on the microwave. I read about some EPIK Legend owners who leave their sub plugged in all the time (in standby mode) would hear it make a rumble sometimes even if they didn't have a signal running to the sub. Like the sub's amp would wake up and make a sporadic noise or something. I just can't help to think a number of electronics being made today are using chintzy electronic caps,resistors,transistors,power supplies from China and the work ok for a while , but fail prematurely. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

I run all my HT power through a few Monster power centers that only power on when the system comes up. All my power amps, pre/pro, scaler, projector, subs, RT3000p and CS1000p sub amps, etc. run through the system and never see power unless they are in use. I've never had an amp failure.....which could just be luck, of course. Just seems to me that letting gear sit under power for hours and days and weeks and months just isn't a good idea. Even on standby, the devices have powered components
    My 7.4.4 DIY 4k Home Theater:
    Polk LSiM 707 L-C-R, LSiM702 side surrounds, LSiM 705 rears
    Polk RC-80i x 4 In Ceiling Atmos speakers
    2 x SVS PB12/Plus 2's
    Denon X3700H
    Emotiva XPA11 Gen 3
    XBox One X 4k & BD and streaming
    Panasonic UB-420 4k player
    HD-A35 HD DVD
    Oppo BD-103D for hirez audio
    Technics SL-D2 TT, Grado Gold Cartridge
    JVC DLA-RS2000/NX7 projector
    Silver Ticket 120" acoustically transparent screen
    Berkline 090 electric recliners with Aura Bass Shakers
  • mufsoman
    mufsoman Posts: 631
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I'm second owner of my two Legends. No amp problems with previous owner (at least that he admitted to), and none so far for me. They are very good subs. Good clean bass. I am thinking of replacing them just to go bigger for more room pressurization. Always sad to see another small company close up. Too much of that these days. Makes me wonder how some of the other smaller internet only sub/speaker companies are doing....?
    Parasound HCA-2003A & 2205A
    Front: Rti12's
    Center: Csi A6
    Side surrounds: Polk Rti A1's
    Atmos: Mirage Nanosats
    APC H15
    Power cords by Pepster, Morrow MA4 IC's, AQ Midnight, AQ Chocolate HDMI's[/SIZE]
    The rest is TBD.
  • beaglehead12
    Options
    I just lost an empire a few weeks ago to hear this has been an epidemic around here. Can anyone send some advice. Thanks..
  • Polkie2009
    Options
    Beaglehead, You may also check out the AVS forum in the subwoofers section for Epik subs. There's a man named Dave there who repairs a lot__ of plate amps and he might be able to fix your Empire's depending on how fried the amp looks. You'll have to take the plate amp out of your cabinet, inspect it , maybe take a few pics and let us know what you have. I'm thinking that most of those Empire and Legend amps that failed were those that had been plugged in and left on stand by. I always__ unplug my Empires from the wall outlets after running them and they are still fine. One thing different about these Epik Empire subs is that they are designed to run with a slight rise of frequency something around 22 hz. and rolls off not really dig deeper than 18-20 hz. If you end up going with a pro audio amp(which will work quite fine), you might have to figure out how to bring up that 1-2 hz crossover bump to bring out the most for the Empire's speakers. To get the real scoop on all of this, check with the AVS site, and good luck, these are decent subs worth fixing.
  • gwh
    gwh Posts: 1,451
    Options
    I picked up a pair of used Empires recently and I've been looking for an online user guide without much success...anybody have a link?
    Thanks,
    G
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.