Emo XSP1 Gen2 Vs Parasound P5

I am looking to put together a 2nd system. I have the preamp narrowed down to Emotiva XSP-1 gen2 or Parasound P5. Has anyone heard both or either?

I think Parasound in general has a better reputation but, the XSP-1 gen2 looks like its getting some fantastic reviews. I do not need the dac in the P5. It will most likely be used with an external dac anyway. I like the idea of the sub management for 2 channel on both and the phono on both get great reviews as well. Emo has a 30 day in home trial - shipping but, the Parasound does not.

Looks wise, I actually like the looks of both units. I like that the P5 has a sub volume on the front. I wish on both units, they would have put the crossover selection on the front as well but, both are on the back. Both have MM & MC phono.

I wish both had a 30 day trial so I could hear them side by side. When i did searches on the P5, some sites were pointing to the emo and I started reading about it. The reviews on both are positive especially for the price point.
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.

Comments

• Haven't had the XSP-1 but I did own it's predecessor, the USP-1 and it was a great preamp. It definitely had a more forward sound, but I didn't find it fatiguing. The XSP-1 is a preamp I'd try and I haven't read a bad review about it. For the price, it's pretty incredible with all the bells and whistles it packs (balanced, phono, sub management, ht bypass, etc.).
  • Why not take the used route for a pre as your always going to get more for your money.
  • Setting here glancing through a new Audio Advisor rag and the first page states "30 Day Money Back" risk free guarantee.

Pop on the P5....not happy, return it for a full refund.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Mike, I did not see the P5 had a $ back on it. Is that just an audio advisor thing? Time to check out AA's site.

PFB, I am having a hard time finding a ss pre, about 1k that has subwoofer management. I found plenty in the 300-700$ range and then I would need an electronic crossover or another external piece for bass management for the small system. It would come out close to what the 2 pre's mentioned are.

For fun, i would play with it on the main system and see how it does against the AR sp16 but, its not going to replace it. Its for a 2nd system.

audiocr38ve the xsp-1 gen 1 and 2 does have a lot of fantastic reviews from hometheaterhifi on down to Audioholics and so does the p5. It is hard without having them side by side. BOTH units in reviews say they need a good burn in time before they open up.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Very interesting, I never knew there was such a thing as a preamp with bass management for a separate sub.
  • erniejade wrote: »
    Mike, I did not see the P5 had a $ back on it. Is that just an audio advisor thing? Time to check out AA's site.

Yes, that's an AA thing, you don't like the P5, send it back and I'll pick it up as a "clearance" item for about 30% less money!

• erniejade
    It makes it a little easier for thoes who want to run 2 channel with a sub and not have to run IC's to the sub and then to the amp or run another piece for an electronic crossover. I have run into issues where even though the sub is set to 30 or 40 or 50 hz, to try to match up where the frequency of the speakers drop off, I would still get some phase cancelation or both trying to produce the same hz and it actually would phase it out so it actually sounded like less bass or just didnt sound right. Having the crossover built in i would think like a HT receiver would make it much easier.

I do like the P5 has a level control right on the front for some music that you just want a little bit more out of or bad recordings. It is still hard to ignor the great reviews of the emo though. I have never owned an emo product. I heard one of the amps a few years ago but, i didnt care for it but, this looks like its a well built unit.

I took a look on AA site. It is AA return policy. So it looks like both have a 30 day.
  • I think AA also has some P5 B-stock units that can save you a buck fitty or so. Call them. The B's are said to have a cosmetic blemish on them and are fully guaranteed as new.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • erniejade
    audioholics rates the emo over the P5. I guess I have more thinking to do. Shoot!
  • The Emo couldn't be easier to try. You can literally try both at no risk. I'd say start with the Emo and let us know what ya think :)
  • erniejade
    To start out, I did call a local place that I found carried the p5. They did not offer an in home trial and the sales person was so cocky I left. He flat out said you know you want this preamp and we dont need to have any kind of in home trial on our gear because you wont want to retun it once you hear it in your home anyway. I said is that a guaranty? Then if I dont like it I can return it? He said no. I said what if its broken? He said manufacture covers that. I walked out and called audio advisor. Nice people to deal with. 30 day return policy if I dont like it. Its a shame the local place was cocky like that because I do try to support the local shops since they are becoming fewer.
  • erniejade wrote: »
    To start out, I did call a local place that I found carried the p5. They did not offer an in home trial and the sales person was so cocky I left. He flat out said you know you want this preamp and we dont need to have any kind of in home trial on our gear because you wont want to retun it once you hear it in your home anyway. I said is that a guaranty? Then if I dont like it I can return it? He said no. I said what if its broken? He said manufacture covers that. I walked out and called audio advisor. Nice people to deal with. 30 day return policy if I dont like it. Its a shame the local place was cocky like that because I do try to support the local shops since they are becoming fewer.

I had a similar experience here in NJ and ended up ordering from AA too. Plus no sales tax from AA free shipping and it saved me more than enough to buy a decent power cable.So how is it? or are you still burning in? It is a sweet looking unit and is very well built yeah?

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • erniejade
    Splitting this up since it was getting long.

The p5 I have on the main rig right now burning in. I will report back again when burning is done.
    24 hours burned in right now so im being told 100 is the min. More like 150-200 is better.

Things I do not like off the bat. 1 rca are too close together for higher end ic-s. They touch up and down and sideways. I have locking rca. Its difficult to turn them to tighten or loosening them.
    Tone. One reason why I was looking at this was tone and built in crossover. A lot of my listening is in defeated mode but I do have a lot of lp or cds that I love the music but the recording sucks and I wish for tone. Bass and treb in 0 position with tone on or off on other preamps I have had with tone ( carver c19, adcom 565, mcintosh c39) had 0 difference engaged or defeat. This unit has a huge difference. Soon as you hit tone, even at 0, volume decreaces and vocals completely change. I am hopping this will change after its burned in more. Turning the bass or treb, doesnt sound quite right. The vocals get recessed and all just seems to get muted slightly.
    The front of the unit looks great. I wish they wouldnt have a red light on top and kept with the blue like the rest. The remote I wish they would have put tone and subwoofer adjustments on it so you dont have to get up from your listening spot. I also wish they would have put the crossover on off and freq. Select on the front as well instead of the back

Enough nitpick. So far with the tone off at first sounded a bit thin but after 24 hours its opening up. Upper end is starting to smoothen out. The soundstage is darn good. Close to the with of my tube arc. It also has good texture from top to bottom. I will update this more when it hits the 120-150 hour mark. For the money, so far this is not a bad unit at all. I nitpick at some things that I like or want yes but, at this price point for a brand new unit, its darn good.

I will be ordering the emo this week so it can start burning in as well. To be continued.
  • erniejade
    I am using a aftermarket power cable. Sorry if the inital nitpick sounded harsh. Please dont take it wrong, its some of my personal wishes. The p5 is a solidly built and great looking unit. Without even being completely burned in, it performs way above its price point!. 24 hours on it and the highs are inmroved quite a bit as well as how deep the sound stage is. I was really surprised on how wide it is. As wide as my tube unit! .
    I almost got it in silver till I saw Mikey's pic of the black!
  • I for one am very interested in this. Thanks for post!
  • erniejade
    The tone in out button has an audible click and pause in the music when its engaged or disengaged. It dawned on me, if the unit needs to be burned in, maybe I should leave the tone engaged to make sure that curcuit is burned in also. Yesterday before I left the house I tured it on and let it stay in. Well 24 hours later I can say the difference I mentioned above has chilled out quite a bit. There is still a slight difference at 0 but its getting darn close to in or out now. If the bass or treble is adjusted, the effects I was hearing before is quickly dissapearing. So I am thinking my suspicion of needed to leave it engaged to burn in that circuit was correct.

Without the tone in, at the 48-50 hour mark, the top end is getting even more smooth. Mids are coming into play nice as well and the bass is getting even tighter. The control this unit has on the bass is darn good. I am feeling like its tighter then my tube arc. Listening to chicken foot this morning (in a rock mood) and its doing a good job with it.
  • So I have logged about 112 hrs. on my P5 so far and haven't considered the tone bypass circuit. I'll have to check that out tho. I've been playing mine all weekend with various SACD on repeat. It should be all broken in by this time next week :)

• erniejade
    With a good recording this unit does rock and does not need the tone at all. On poor recording like zep4 when the leavy breaks. Or chicago 2 or meatloaf 1 lp, billy joel 52nd street outside the song my life, billy the stranger, take a listen to any of them if you have them. They turn that bass knob up to 2 or 4. Tell me they dont need it. Lol. There I a lot more but I was just giving a short list. I have flac running 24x7 for burning in. For listening yep sacd or lp for testing. Again on normal decent recording,it needs nothing. For this price it does preform great.
    I have not tried the dac. I have a w4s dac2 but for the 2nd system I plan on doing, I will be using it for flac.
  • erniejade
    Emo is now ordered It should be here this weekend.

Around 120 hours on the p5. I never thought it would get a warmer sound but, it has. This unit is very smooth sounding and just flat out easy to listen to. My range of music is all over the place. Hard rock like Korn bass sounds darn good. Friday Night in San Francisco - Live Paco DeLucia, John McLaughlin, Al DiMeola, sounds dang good also. Lots of texture and detail on the music. Again, way above its price point.

The emo has its work cut out for it. This will be my first emo product to try. The one thing the emo does have going for it without even hearing it is the layout of the remote. Besides the tone in out, you can cut or boost from the remote.
  • erniejade
    Got the emo today. Rca layout on the back is much better. It has the proper spacing so I can turn the locking rca. The remote is layed out better and the tone can be used via the remote. It also has a processor loop ( used to be called a tape monitor back in the day) and it honestly looks good!. The problem is it doesnt work right out of the box. It just clicks and while it clicks, I can see 120&230v lights in the back go back and forth. It does not have a manual voltage selector. Emo support is closed so I will have to wait till monday to talk to them.

Meanwhile, the p5 is still rocking. It actually has a warmer sound then my tube ar sp16. The AR is a wider sounding though. A change of a tube can change that also. To be continued!
  • Not Good. P5 wins! :p
  • erniejade
    Lol. By default that it works out of the box lol.
  • It's an omen!

• erniejade
    You might be right!
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Well that's an embarrassment for EMO. I've heard they have great CS, but wonder if that's predictive of future reliability ?
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Calm down boys....every brand has a turkey or 2 in their lineup. Though I'm not an Emo fan, I wouldn't brand them as a whole for a few sub par products.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    I can't say if I am a fan or not for emo since I have not owned one of their products or heard one on my rig. Just looking at the emo preamp, the layout of the inputs and remote I think had a lot of thought that went into them and I think that end is designed better then the Parasound P5. I know I shouldnt be so picky on a unit that costs 1k but, I can't be the only one with locking RCA or even a slightly larger rca so they touch each other sitting there plugged in. I know not a deal breaker but, it kind of bugs me.

Also the tone when engaged even on 0 or flat, I shouldnt hear that drastic of a difference when engaged or disengaged but, I do. Engaged the volume goes down slightly and the sound quality isnt as good. It is not my first preamp with tone. The Carver c-19, adcom 565, and McIntosh c39 ( my fave on looks alone ) did not do this. I have had more but, that was just in the last 15 years and the most memorable that comes to mind.

The bass management on this works fantastic and without even using the emo yet, the front layout on the P5 has sub adjustment where the emo does not! On layout that to me is a huge NO. If your going to make a unit with bass management, why would you want to pull the unit out to turn your sub up or down once it is adjusted. Yes I know i can reach over to my sub and turn it up or down but, emo took the time to figure out but the tone or "trim" on the front of the unit as well as the remote, why not the sub adjustment on the remote as well. Unless we pause what were playing, when we walk up to a unit behind the speakers, we get slaughtered with bass or walking over to the sub, same thing and then it takes a few minutes for our ears to re-adjust when were back at our listening position. If it was on the remote, this would not be an issue.

I know I know I know I am being picky on what I want but, if you think about it, it makes sense for those who want bass management or tone on a unit.

Anyway, Monday I will call Emo for support. I'm not sure if there is anything I can do on my end since it seems to be an issue with the auto voltage selector.

I am not talking anyone out of either unit either. I like the P5 a lot! It sounds fantastic, warmer sound ( actually a hair warmer them my tube arc) great texture to music and just very nice to listen to without fatigue. It might not be the most accurate unit out there but its darn musical and that is what I like. I have had completely accurate and while it was good, my ears would fatigue out after a while.

BTW Tony, one of the reviews on the gen1 of the emo that got rave reviews they were using Legacy Focus SE. http://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/emotiva-xsp-1-preamp-video

• Devlon
    Devlon Posts: 355
    erniejade do keep us posted on your shootout here. I am in the market for a preamp. I am considering a Parasound P3 or the XSP-1. Yes, a used P3 can be purchased for less that half of the XSP-1, but I do not see the "long range" point for having a DAC in a preamp like the P5, so the P3 may just be fine for me. DAC technology is changing very fast, and a DAC will become outdated much faster that a good preamp. So, with DSD coming on, and it being commonplace for DACs to have 24/192 USB I prefer to have an outboard DAC. BTW, I think the DAC in the P5 does 24/96 at its USB.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but it appears that the P5 is not true Differential Balanced like the XSP-1, only balanced. That is of concern for me as my DAC, and power amps are true Differential Balanced. It seems not a good idea to insert a balanced preamp between two true Differential Balanced components.

Bass management on the XSP-1 with L/R or summed, sub out seems a good idea. I like also the flexibility of having both RCA, and XLR outs.

But it comes down to the sound. This is what it is really about. I am assuming that the P3 is in many ways more similar than dissimilar to the P5. But anyway, please keep us posted when your new XSP-1 is tested!
    Living Room: HK AVR 354 as pre/pro, 2 x Polk Audio Micropro 4000, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Mirage OMD-15
    2 x Mirage OMD-5, 1 x Mirage OMD-C1, APC H15, Sony S790, Philips 52" LCD, Beogram 3000, FAT (Firestone Audio Tobby DAC), Harmony One

Den: Sherwood R-972,as pre/pro, 2 x Velodyne SPL-1000R, 3 x Crown Drivecore XLS1500, 2 x Polk Audio Lsi9
    1 x Polk Audio Lsic, 2 x Polk Audio Lsifx, Sony S790, APC H15, Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0, W4S DAC 2, Keces DA-151
  • Devlon
    Devlon Posts: 355
    ernie, also if you would, indicate with what equipment you are testing the P5: TT, CD player, external DAC, streaming? What are all the ways you have tested it, and have you noticed any differences worth mentioning?
    Living Room: HK AVR 354 as pre/pro, 2 x Polk Audio Micropro 4000, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Mirage OMD-15
    2 x Mirage OMD-5, 1 x Mirage OMD-C1, APC H15, Sony S790, Philips 52" LCD, Beogram 3000, FAT (Firestone Audio Tobby DAC), Harmony One

Den: Sherwood R-972,as pre/pro, 2 x Velodyne SPL-1000R, 3 x Crown Drivecore XLS1500, 2 x Polk Audio Lsi9
    1 x Polk Audio Lsic, 2 x Polk Audio Lsifx, Sony S790, APC H15, Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0, W4S DAC 2, Keces DA-151
  • erniejade
    Correct the p5 is not fully differential where the emo is. My amp is a mcintosh mc402, w4s dac2 for flac and high rez flac, dh labs air matrix with locking rca, cayin scd50t, beeen swapping out between MIT s1 speaker cables and Doug Alpha biwire speaker cables. I have not tried the built in dac or the phono. I do have a technics 1200 with denon 160 and legacy focus speakers, velodyne spl1200 . I have been mixing it up between sacd and regular flac files. One my fave is the audiogon wake up your ears high rez.

What kind of sound do you like? Since I need to send the emo back I can give you an example of the p5 vs my audio research sp16 that is currently running some telefunken tubes. I was running the rca 3 mica but it wasnt my taste. The cayin has BB nside.for redbook I used the cayin to the dac but for sacd it was us thd cayin only.

The p5 digs down and is warmer vs arc and I think the sound stage on the arc is slightly better and the top end is better on the arc also. The bottom is better on the p5. The p5 is more forgiving then the sp16. It is verry musical on anything I threw at it. That ranged from Peter Gabriel on down to zac brown to miles davis.

When I ordered the emo, the sales person said its definately not a warm repamp. He described it as more accurate and analytical vs warm and fuzzy.