Hey Polk, food for thought

Options

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    Options
    This place was brutal back in the good ole days. :)
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited September 2014
    Options
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I understand the Argumentative stance, i had it a little myself cause, MY AVR said it would do this! yet people here was trying to tell me different. I was like wait how can they say this but you say that? :) but you do learn and then you world changes. then you learn that AVR makers don't like to say with 2 channels driven. Only NAD told the truth from What I've seen. So looking back I glad everything went as it did. It made me learn more and read more about the good stuff.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options

You seemed to recover and have some grace, but Jesse is just a bully at heart. The forum would do well to be rid of him, regardless of any knowledge he brings. If Polk's strategy is to be rid of long-term members that think they actually have some ownership of this place, and try to lord it over others, I applaud it.

[/quote]

I can't agree with this, Jesse is straight forward and says what he thinks. I appreciate that and have learned a great deal from him. Sometimes we have to take things as constructive criticism.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Once again Kurt, your ignorance knows no bounds. It is you that needs to look in the mirror as you brought all of your unhappiness here upon yourself. The sooner you acknowledge that fact, the sooner you'll get over your b u t t hurt.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    vmaxer, IIRC he was whining a lot about the requirement to have 100 posts before gaining access to the FM. I believe I told him to stop being a putz about it, which as all can see, has given him something else to whine about. Oh well.....

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    When I earned one of Jesse famous "FAILED" I went out and read and researched all I could on bi-wiring vs bi-amp and it help push me in the right direction and I learned so much more. Jesse doesn't mince words he just straight shoots and I never took offense from what he said. I pay attention more this way and I learned a lot from him and all you others also, I agree what Vmax said about taking things as Constructive criticism. but were all different and handle things differently.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • vmaxer
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    vmaxer, IIRC he was whining a lot about the requirement to have 100 posts before gaining access to the FM. I believe I told him to stop being a putz about it, which as all can see, has given him something else to whine about. Oh well.....

I don't imagine you are losing much sleep over it..

Kiddin'
    voltz wrote: »
    When I earned one of Jesse famous "FAILED" I went out and read and researched all I could on bi-wiring vs bi-amp and it help push me in the right direction and I learned so much more. Jesse doesn't mince words he just straight shoots and I never took offense from what he said. I pay attention more this way and I learned a lot from him and all you others also, I agree what Vmax said about taking things as Constructive criticism. but were all different and handle things differently.

We all do handle things differently. I would rather deal with someone who shoots straight and don't sugar coat everything. It gets you to the point (lesson) a lot quicker. Although, when I was younger I took offense a lot quicker.

If directness prevents me from making a known mistake, great.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,916
    Options
    Kurt300 wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    I think a lot of that attitude has developed because of certain characters we have gotten on the forum. From what I've seen, newer members generally have the argumentative stance, not the inquisitive one. Its not so much snobbery as it is a defensive stance on many members parts. There is a lot of experience on this forum, and the majority of that experience is quality experience.

I do believe we could look at ourselves and rethink how we accept new members, but there is a reason why its gotten to that point.

Another point is that this wasn't always the way things worked on this forum. A handful of years ago this place was happening, both in the home and car forums. There was more of a revolving door than we have now, which helped shape the forum in a way. Without that revolving door, this has become a very close knit community. If the revolving door comes back, I'd imagine the 'snobbery' would diminish quite drastically as we relearn how to accept new members.

Dskip, my first experience on here was thinly veiled accusations of being called a liar, and soon after F1Nut called me a putz for my asking why better prices were being given to long-time members in the For Sale section. I really think you longer-term members should look in the metaphorical mirror a little more closely.

You seemed to recover and have some grace, but Jesse is just a bully at heart. The forum would do well to be rid of him, regardless of any knowledge he brings. If Polk's strategy is to be rid of long-term members that think they actually have some ownership of this place, and try to lord it over others, I applaud it.

FAIL!!

I was a new guy around these parts back in what 09 I think.. Funny how I didn't know $hit about this hobby, and I never had the issues some of you guys whine and cry about, funny thing is I have always got along with Jesse, and the rest of the gang for the most part, even when we don't see eye to eye...

It all comes down to respect, and having some thick skin now and then, better yet just be a man, but saying this place would be better to rid them self of a certain member, is like yelling for mommy that this guy hurt your feelings and you don't want to play anymore...

Go work on a construction site for a week, if you can't handle Jesse on this forum those guys will eat you alive...

• Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I prefer people who are direct. I don't expect everyone to agree with me or vice versa.

I've never received anything but solid advice from Jesse and the other seasoned vets here. If you approach things with the realization that others may have more knowledge or experience or at least different experiences, you can learn a lot here.

You're free to take or leave any advice given here. Why not try to understand the advice with an open mind before making that decision? If you decide not to take the advice, agree to disagree and move on.

My system is light years ahead of where I started and it's 100% due to what I've learned here. I'm still learning. This place is what you make of it.
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Sounds like some of you are enjoying the "magic" that makes music better versus others who try to mock and ridicule that magic, and those who enjoy it.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • quicksilvergts
    Options
    Ah, So Jesse is F1nut lol. I am a "noob" ish lol
    Anyways. I have dealt with people like him (absolutely no pun intended what so ever) in my field of work my whole life. In the beginning, I was like what a ****/#&* jerk.

After about a year, I began just taking it with a grain a salt BUT the information/knowledge was "sound" (meaning competent, reliable, or holding acceptable views). after that I could take criticism much easier lol. Since then,
    I have learned ALOT from people like F1nut.

98% of what I am inquiring about, him and a handful of others have already
    Answered my question with "sound" advice. I would post more but if I search I will usually find the answer/advice I would be looking for.

Back on topic, I do think Polk might be looking for new people to take the front line. After all, Polk is part of a huge corporation. And big corporations do some very strange things for marketing. My company just starting having adp total source run our HR. Now we basically have 2 entities we work for, not just one lol.

Anyways, I will always be lurking on here because I am loyal to the products polk crafts, Chinese or not. And ya'll write some interesting and funny threads. Regardless of format

Cheers!!
    Polk Lsi9
    Polk LsiC
    Polk Fxi3
    Pioneer SC-1222
    Parasound 1200 II w/ Kimber Kable HERO + 4TC
    SVS PB12-NSD (Bash)
    PS4
    Sharp Aquos 55"

"If your BOLD enough to try it,
    your BOLD enough to make it happen"
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Some of you ought to do a search and review the 1000s of warm "welcomes" to newcomers on what used to be Club Polk and is now Polk Forums?

We've never had any problem with noobs except when they steamroll in here like a bull in a China shop with a general air of "disrespect". Which, I would add, is the exception rather than the norm. Don't let a few bad apples define the lot.

As for "change". Hey, life is change, it is inevitable, and it is not a bad thing either. But change with no "continuity" to a past. Change with NO HISTORY! Well, I can speak volumes about that from the French Revolution to the Maoist Cultural Revolution. Suffice it to say that nothing bursts into the present full blown. Without memory, without continuity, without experience, how can anyone KNOW anything! And , hasn't Polk, itself learned a few things since it was founded? After all, they have their "past" on review at HQ in Baltimore. Why bother, if that has NOTHING at all to do with the present, as well as what comes next? That which never changes is left behind, that which changes without recalling a "past" changes with no purpose, no meaning and no responsibility to anyone else!

Welcome to all, and thanks to those who came before us and are still here! This is what it all means. It is not either/or!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    Options
    Shucks,I really learned a lot from F1nut and kind of liked him.
    But if a guy with 154 posts thinks we are better off without him I guess we have to send him on his way.
    Good luck Jesse,maybe I'll see you over at the AVSforum sometime.
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • F1nut
    Options
    Go work on a construction site for a week, if you can't handle Jesse on this forum those guys will eat you alive...

LOL....so true.

I worked in construction for a summer years long ago. Bunch of crazy mofos and to this day, some of the best guys I've had the pleasure to work with. We worked hard, but damn we had fun doing it.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Good luck Jesse,maybe I'll see you over at the AVSforum sometime.

Perish the thought.

President of Club Polk

• audiocr381ve
    Options
    This is black and white for me. Bad design, bad design, bad design. Why does it matter? Well, have you ever been in a house that smelled, was decorated poorly, and was a cluttered mess? How did it make you feel? What did it make you want to do?

Regardless if Polk has an agenda or not in rolling out this atrocious design, they're making it harder on everyone including the new generation they're trying to reach. This design makes me feel like I'm trapped in a box!

• audiocr381ve
    Options
    Also..

I've had a few moments where I wanted to hurt Jesse, actually, many moments :p Like others have mentioned you gotta grow some thicker skin. He's actually a solid dude and one of the most knowledgable guys around this place. I wouldn't want him getting the boot.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Does that tell you something?

Indeed it does. It tells me that I don't care enough about you and whatever you were whining about to remember exactly what it was.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    I've had a few moments where I wanted to hurt Jesse, actually, many moments

Luv u 2......LOL

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Notice how the avatars have gotten blurry after the latest fix from Vanilla?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,583
    Options
    I vote Jesse for Club Polk President.....OH wait :redface:

Jesse is and will be a very solid dude. I bow to his greatness....

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Notice how the avatars have gotten blurry after the latest fix from Vanilla?

At least it made Uncle Jess's picture look better. :D

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »
    We all do handle things differently. I would rather deal with someone who shoots straight and don't sugar coat everything. It gets you to the point (lesson) a lot quicker. Although, when I was younger I took offense a lot quicker.

Couldn't agree more.
    I also would tend to take offense more when I was younger. That has to do with some insecurity, I think, when one is younger. Perfectly normal, perfectly human.
    But if you perceive someone "attacking" something you "know" or something you do, those things make up a bigger portion of your "know" stockpile and you feel more "threatened" when you're younger.
    If you're younger, and "know" 10 things, and someone "attacks" 1, that's a pretty big percentage of your reservoir.

You get older, it's easy to slough it off (at least if you haven't been going through life coasting with your head up your derriere).
    Make a mistake, and someone calls you on it ? No problem ! I always say, "Hey, let's get out the calendar and mark this down, I made a mistake on this date !!".
    I figure I do enough right that I welcome making a mistake now and then. Keeps people from expecting me to be Superman and walk on water. (I've tried but I still go ankle deep) :)

So, F1, keep shooting straight and keep telling it like it is.
    Now, if you could just do something about that Mr. Grand and his "Bees" thing, well, that'd be good too. B)
    (that I actually have brain cells devoted to "Bees" storage, and they refuse to be deleted, is rather worrisome to me)

..... I forget what this thread is about. ;)

Sal Palooza
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    I bet F1 is the same way in person?....I can respect that if its his personality rather I like it or not.

I just don't care for the guy that "acts out" on the internet...The same guy that you know won't say the same thing to your face. Also, don't pretend to know everything regardless of what you may think you may know.

Forums are a great place to share and learn but sometimes the personalities can clash. Many other forums have the same issues.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Is it pile on F1NUT time ?? Good, I'll join in.....

I got nuthin'......lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • vmaxer
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »

Couldn't agree more.
    I also would tend to take offense more when I was younger. That has to do with some insecurity, I think, when one is younger. Perfectly normal, perfectly human.
    But if you perceive someone "attacking" something you "know" or something you do, those things make up a bigger portion of your "know" stockpile and you feel more "threatened" when you're younger.
    If you're younger, and "know" 10 things, and someone "attacks" 1, that's a pretty big percentage of your reservoir.

You get older, it's easy to slough it off (at least if you haven't been going through life coasting with your head up your derriere).
    Make a mistake, and someone calls you on it ? No problem ! I always say, "Hey, let's get out the calendar and mark this down, I made a mistake on this date !!".
    I figure I do enough right that I welcome making a mistake now and then. Keeps people from expecting me to be Superman and walk on water. (I've tried but I still go ankle deep) :)

So, F1, keep shooting straight and keep telling it like it is.
    Now, if you could just do something about that Mr. Grand and his "Bees" thing, well, that'd be good too. B)
    (that I actually have brain cells devoted to "Bees" storage, and they refuse to be deleted, is rather worrisome to me)

..... I forget what this thread is about. ;)

Well said.

I wasn't any fun to be around when I was younger unless you were my friend.. Someone say something I didn't like, I just hit them hard and fast. It didn't always work out though....

I am glad I finally outgrew that stage of my life, probably why I'm still alive. :#
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,916
    Options
    Guess I must have said something for my post to be deleted??

Didn't think I said anything wrong, just the facts!!!!
  • vmaxer
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Guess I must have said something for my post to be deleted??

Didn't think I said anything wrong, just the facts!!!!

What was deleted???

Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • vmaxer
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Kurt300 wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    I think a lot of that attitude has developed because of certain characters we have gotten on the forum. From what I've seen, newer members generally have the argumentative stance, not the inquisitive one. Its not so much snobbery as it is a defensive stance on many members parts. There is a lot of experience on this forum, and the majority of that experience is quality experience.

I do believe we could look at ourselves and rethink how we accept new members, but there is a reason why its gotten to that point.

Another point is that this wasn't always the way things worked on this forum. A handful of years ago this place was happening, both in the home and car forums. There was more of a revolving door than we have now, which helped shape the forum in a way. Without that revolving door, this has become a very close knit community. If the revolving door comes back, I'd imagine the 'snobbery' would diminish quite drastically as we relearn how to accept new members.

Dskip, my first experience on here was thinly veiled accusations of being called a liar, and soon after F1Nut called me a putz for my asking why better prices were being given to long-time members in the For Sale section. I really think you longer-term members should look in the metaphorical mirror a little more closely.

FAIL!!

I was a new guy around these parts back in what 09 I think.. Funny how I didn't know $hit about this hobby, and I never had the issues some of you guys whine and cry about, funny thing is I have always got along with Jesse, and the rest of the gang for the most part, even when we don't see eye to eye...

It all comes down to respect, and having some thick skin now and then, better yet just be a man, but saying this place would be better to rid them self of a certain member, is like yelling for mommy that this guy hurt your feelings and you don't want to play anymore...

I still see this one, was there another???
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus