Quesions on SDA 1.2's on Ebay?

I'm considering bidding for these on ebay which TNTsTunes pointed out in the misc. deals thread.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-SDA-SRS-Speakers-/221535394215?

I have a few questions:

1.) It looks like in one picture these are pin/blade. Would these be 1.2 or 1.2TL's?
2.) One picture shows the SDA non common ground interconnect cable. Is this the AI-1? If yes, can I can hook this directly to my W4S amp without purchasing anything else?
3.) Am I crazy bidding on used speakers from Ebay?

Thanks,
Mike
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
DAC: Bricasti M1SE
Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics

Best Answers

Answers

• Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Thanks F1. I'm going for it as long as the price doesn't escalate. I'm about 40 minutes away. My wife will kill me if I win and put these behemoth's in my basement! Oh well.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
  • I knew they wouldn't go for$880
  • Thorton
    Nope, didn't get them. 1 guy bid higher than me. I wasn't going higher sight unseen.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Thorton wrote: »
    Nope, didn't get them. 1 guy bid higher than me. I wasn't going higher sight unseen.

Well, I wish you had got them, awesome speakers.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    edited September 2014
    Maybe Craigslist will be good to you. I scored my 2.3's for $700. thumbsup.gif

My top price would have been $1500.00 on those 1.2TL's.excuseme.gif
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• vmaxer
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    Maybe Craigslist will be good to you. I scored my 2.3's for $700. thumbsup.gif

My top price would have been $1500.00 on those 1.2TL's.excuseme.gif

They went for $1,325.00, not bad really. If I were in the market I would have grabbed them, but I have a set.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Sorry you didn't get them. As close as you are, if I were in the market, I'd have gone $1500. That said, I totally understand your hesitance at not being able to hear them first. A year ago, I drove 1300 miles round trip for a pair of 1.2TLs knowing they needed a little work. Two tweeters and one mid later, along with a little troubleshooting on one of the crossovers, I had a pair of working speakers. Total cost (including the round trip)was something around $12-1300. Point is, to spend that much, you have to be able hear them. It can be a crap-shoot. Better luck next time!
    SDA SRS, SDA SRS1.2TL, SDA-1C,SDA 2B, Soundcraftsmen Amplification (A5002s, MA5002s, MA5002As)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    They went for $1,325.00, not bad really.

Someone stole them at that price.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nikonik
    nikonik Posts: 120
    F1nut wrote: »

Guilty as charged.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Congrats!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • vmaxer
    Congrats, let us know how they work out for you.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • nikonik
    Thanks! I just need to get them shipped and then I can tell you guys how they sound.
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Awesome deal!
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited September 2014
    Nice!

Why does it say SDA-2B on them?

$_57.JPG

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    F1nut wrote: »

Agreed, and with the AI-1 INTERCONECT?? that's worth $200 in it's self..

Stole is an understatement..

$2000 would have been my bid!!!

• nikonik
    So here I am wondering what happened. My speakers were to arrive yesterday. However, Roadrunner transporting states that the billing arrived in Spokane but the freight didnt? They cannot find them at the moment. I should have stuck w Uship but I went this route and now they are gone. Frustrating but I think they are in someones home by now. Ill have to file a claim and hope for the best. This would have been my second set. In the meantime, Ill enjoy my other set.
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    Bummer, hopefully they find them. Good luck.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• holy chit seriously? u got taxed for them? any updates? they have to find them!!
    Cool stuff: Adcom GFA-555, GFP-710, Oppo BDP-83, Monitor 10's w/RDO198s, rebuilt and modded XO: Sonicap/Mundorf topside, Daytons Low.
    Benq W5000

"Leaning back like a maxwell tape commercial listening to pure polk bliss"
  • nikonik
    They still cannot find them! At first I laughed and about 2 day later, I was slightly irritated at their lack of competence. The story goes that the loader recalls loading the shipment but when the truck was unloaded in Spokane, Wa, the freight was missing. I told them that it sounded like internal theft and the seller and I cant get more information out of them beyond what we were told the first day. I insured them and now they are also telling me that they shouldnt have sold me the additional insurance becasue they were used. I mentioned that my email states that I was covered for value declared so I think this is going to be a drawn out process as they seem to settle claims within 60-90 days. On the plus side, I was making a delivery to a regular customer and mentioned something about why I was irritated and he asked what kind of speakers. I told him Polk Audio. He replied that they were great speakers and that he had a set of monitor 10Bs in his garage. Well, a couple days went by and I made another delivery to his home. He asked if they had found them. I told him no. He said he had a great deal for me. He told me I could have his monitor 10Bs and he was just happy that they were going to a great home. That made my day as I cant pass up on Polk Audio. This will be my second set of 10Bs. I do plan on buying another set of SDA SRS within a year. A small bump in the road happened with this other set but I have to be happy for what I have, my wife and kids. I saw a set of SDA SRS in Seattle last week for $1250 but it was not the TL and that is what I am going to buy. On to the next set of SDA SRS!
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited October 2014
    Great story, and under the circumstances, it appears to have ended about as happily as one could have imagined -- assuming your insurance eventually pays up!

If I were you, I wouldn't hold out for SRS TLs because you will likely want to upgrade the tweeters and crossovers regardless of the SRS model you buy. Grab the first SRSs that come up close to you.

Unless I'm misinformed, the upgrade path would be the same -- RD-0198 tweeters and completely revamped crossovers, SDA inductors, binding posts, and likely internal wiring, BH5, Dynamat Xtreme, JBWeld, as well as a Dreadnought just for good measure! :)

Welcome to the rabbit hole! >:)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• nikonik wrote: »
    I saw a set of SDA SRS in Seattle last week for $1250 but it was not the TL and that is what I am going to buy. On to the next set of SDA SRS!

Those were mine and will be delivering them to him today. Gonna miss them but I've got too many speakers now and have to thin the herd. Good luck finding what you want.

• Thorton
    nikonik wrote: »
    They still cannot find them! At first I laughed and about 2 day later, I was slightly irritated at their lack of competence. The story goes that the loader recalls loading the shipment but when the truck was unloaded in Spokane, Wa, the freight was missing. I told them that it sounded like internal theft and the seller and I cant get more information out of them beyond what we were told the first day. I insured them and now they are also telling me that they shouldnt have sold me the additional insurance becasue they were used. I mentioned that my email states that I was covered for value declared so I think this is going to be a drawn out process as they seem to settle claims within 60-90 days. On the plus side, I was making a delivery to a regular customer and mentioned something about why I was irritated and he asked what kind of speakers. I told him Polk Audio. He replied that they were great speakers and that he had a set of monitor 10Bs in his garage. Well, a couple days went by and I made another delivery to his home. He asked if they had found them. I told him no. He said he had a great deal for me. He told me I could have his monitor 10Bs and he was just happy that they were going to a great home. That made my day as I cant pass up on Polk Audio. This will be my second set of 10Bs. I do plan on buying another set of SDA SRS within a year. A small bump in the road happened with this other set but I have to be happy for what I have, my wife and kids. I saw a set of SDA SRS in Seattle last week for $1250 but it was not the TL and that is what I am going to buy. On to the next set of SDA SRS!

Sorry to hear that. I was still wondering what condition those were actually in. How the heck do you lose 400 lbs of speakers!

• nikonik
    Well, today I called to find out if anything new came about and I heard her say something postive but I didnt catch it so I asked again and she stated they were in Seattle. I asked if she was sure and she replied yes. I called the terminal in Sumner and they had them there. They wanted to ship to Spokane again and then back to me which is the halfway point between Seattle and Spokane. I didnt want to risk losing them again so I made the 3 hour trip and picked them up. My wife stayed home today as she wasnt feeling well and I decided to go home early so it worked out well. I just unwrapped them and they look good overall with the exception of the top front edge of the wood on one speaker. The front 1" came off and it looks like a driver may have taken some damage as it appears to have a good wrinkle in it and it has some drag to it. A few broken plastic studs that hold the front panel on. Tweeter domes pushed in on a couple tweeters. The other speaker looks fine. Some fading on back or sides of cloth. Just when I had written them off, they reappear. I have a little bit of work to do on them and then I can enjoy them, but first, I'll have to find out how to take the side panels or top off so I can repair them. If someone knows of a thread, let me know and thanks for support. Thorton, I had my eyes on them before you put up the thread as Im always on the bay looking for more goods. They would have been in great hands had I lost to you. Sorry for snaggin them but I paid the price of loss of sleep, regret, etc. I can add some pics later this weekend as I am ready for bed and probably wont get a chance tomorrow.
  • vmaxer
    Glad you found them.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited October 2014
    A happy ending to what might have been a life long nightmere :smile: Congrats i got a feeling their in a good home. Hope the Mrs's is feeling better
    Randy/Maine