Hey Polk, food for thought

Options
With the poll results showing 89% in favor of going back to vBulletin along with all the comments about the childish layout, lousy color choices, lack of even the basic features of the old forum, etc., you should seriously reconsider the idea of making the entire deal look like this. In case you haven't noticed, activity on the forum has dropped like a lead balloon, which is exactly what will happen to the main site. HELLO!!!
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    Options
    Friday night used to be hopping on here.Now nothing.How many posts tonight? Maybe 20? Maybe?
    Two months ago it would be more like 120.
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Appreciate your efforts Jess, but your barking up the wrong tree. You really expect Polk to admit they made a mistake, wasted money ? Good luck with that.

You know, I actually like the beta form of the forum some of us looked over better than the actual one we have now. This color scheme sucks for the eyes, so I click off after a few minutes.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Options
    Good lord guys, relax. It'll take some time to adjust to the new site, but all will be right in the end. Give it time. This is a huge undertaking that will require adjustments here and there. Personally, the new site is fine.
    No excuses!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Agreed SB. I hated it when I first looked at it, but guess what, I adjusted and got use to it. But that's just me, I tend to be very adaptable. B)

Tony is also correct, this must have been a huge undertaking and cost a good chunk of money. They aren't about to change it on account of a few malcontents. By the time they get around to changing it, most will be use to it and then complain about the new changes all over again! LOL.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    You call 89% a few malcontents? You are at best delusional.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    At the mall they got a stupid market director who made a lot of really dumb decisions like this. She had a break dance contest that brought in so many kids ( Not Shoppers) they had to close the mall - and get the kids out and had to rent a stadium to finish what they started. Who ever Idea this was to bring in more people FAILED!

I don't really want to get use to a half empty site. I know what I think doesn't matter - who cares right?... just my 2 cents - even if my 2 cents don't buy me anything.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    I'm just gonna come out and say it and you guys can hit the disagree button as much as you want, but the most childish thing going on is the creation of all these threads by the same two or three guys - it's basically the online version of throwing a hissy fit. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but the same couple guys creating new threads every few days (which, by the way, aren't moving things along or adding anything new) is a bit much.

There are things that I don't like as well, but this forum is still completely usable and in some ways an improvement over the old forum.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Options
    It is amazing to me how wrong they got the color scheme. I remember being involved in a project at work almost 25 years ago where we were designing a screen in a computer system, and I was advised back then to never use red as a primary color in your design. Red inspires people to think negatively. Error messages should be red. Alerts should be red. User names should not be red. The title of forum sections should not be red. Buttons like "Post Comment" should not be red. It really defies the most basic design of an IT screen to use as much red as this site does, and 25 years later, that was some excellent advice that I got because it really is an uninspiring look.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I'm just gonna come out and say it and you guys can hit the disagree button as much as you want, but the most childish thing going on is the creation of all these threads by the same two or three guys - it's basically the online version of throwing a hissy fit. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but the same couple guys creating new threads every few days (which, by the way, aren't moving things along or adding anything new) is a bit much.

There are things that I don't like as well, but this forum is still completely usable and in some ways an improvement over the old forum.

I concur with you on all points -- we'll both be ridden out of town on a rail... together!
    Unfortunately traffic is down, but it should be transient; if Polk has done its marketing homework and manages to grow, the site - and forum - will grow as well; most or all of us may not be part of that future... and that's OK. Life is change.
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    Options
    Ok asSim,i disagreed like you said.
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting the site to improve. I think it shows some people care enough to try and help make things better.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    I think we are p i s sing in the wind here. Polk must not care. Nobody at Polk even comes around to address anything. Are they that embarrassed of the site? Tonight is the first time I have logged on in several days. I use to visit daily. But no interest in this mess anymore.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    That is probably true, but I don't see anything wrong with speaking up and saying something about it if you care enough about it. Thats whats going on with our rantings its just people care enough to say something , if it comes off as childish so be it. I agree to disagree - forums are about opinions. we talk about cars or music the weather or this site.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • F1nut
    Options
    It's amazing what some are willing to settle for.

President of Club Polk

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    It's not about settling for anything, it's about how we act when things don't go our way.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Options
    I noticed the drop off in posts. What to do? I don't like the look, but I think that it's probably here to stay. I suspect a lot of time and money went into the development.
    Carl

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    schwarcw wrote: »
    I suspect a lot of time and money went into the development.

Interesting. I have the exact opposite impression.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I noticed the drop off in posts. What to do? I don't like the look, but I think that it's probably here to stay. I suspect a lot of time and money went into the development.

Look elsewhere. There are now two solid alternatives to look for to keep up with your fellow "Polkies". Dan has stated that the Polk Army forum has been cleaned up a bit, but I created my own since I want no part of any forum where all things controversial are free to be spoken about, regardless of how mature and civil the population is when discussing. That statement is with all due respect to those who participate in that forum, and I understand the role it plays for its members.

Thanks man... The site is now called the Audio Pub, and the "controversial topics" are hidden from view unless you request to view them. Dan has done a brilliant job in cleaning it up, and I dare say that what took a total of 24 hours of work and thought looks a lot better than this mess. Congrats Dan!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    Options
    It's not about settling for anything, it's about how we act when things don't go our way.

It's not about things going my way. It's about the membership, what little of it is left and all they have done in the past that made this the best audio forum, bar none. They deserve better than this. It's also about trying to save Polk from sinking any lower than they already have. This is an extremely poor reflection on a company that can't afford anymore of a tarnished reputation.

If I came to this forum for the first time today and saw this mess, I wouldn't come back. As it is, I spend a lot less time here than I use to and so it seems do a lot of other long time members. Maybe you're ok with that, but I'm not and neither am I going to pat someone's back for making a piss poor decision.

President of Club Polk

• halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    . I suspect a lot of time and money went into the development.

I am thinking probably not. Vanilla is free I think. And this looks like a basic cookie cutter format with a generic skin someone chose to use. I could be wrong. But I do not see where much of any time or development was spent.

--Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    I have bought 4 pair of new Polk Speakers, 2 new Polk Center Channels, a new Sub, plus used I bought 3 pairs of SDAs which will require 3 pairs of new replacement tweeters so I'm loyal to Polk, enjoy conversing with the members here old and new. I don't like the new sight, but figure it will grow on me and look forward to reading Jesse's quirky responses, perhaps they will tweek a few things and make this Vanilla site more enjoyable.

So come on Jesse settle in a bit, I hope they take your suggestions if they decide to great if not I will still continue to hang out here, and hope you will also we need someone to keep us on our toes, and piss people off and give us advice I know I have taken your advice a time or two all with good results. So keep on keeping on and looking forward to all your responses and Threads.

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I have no problem with Jesse taking polls, trying to bring attention to some downsides of this new forum. We may not get the old one back, but at least hopefully can make this one better.

That said, and as you know I love old sayings so here's another one...

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease."
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • KrazyMofo24
    KrazyMofo24 Posts: 1,195
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Just my opinion but I don't see anyone who isn't into quality sound would be actively involved in a forum. The majority of casual consumers who are into entry-level or trendy gear isn't going to be spending much time researching or talking about it.
    Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
    PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Just my opinion but I don't see anyone who isn't into quality sound would be actively involved in a forum. The majority of casual consumers who are into entry-level or trendy gear isn't going to be spending much time researching or talking about it.

Great point.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • vmaxer
    Options
    I also wish there was a easy way to look up members, at times I want to PM someone and can't find them.....am I missing it???
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • George Grand
    Options
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Let's face it guys - we have to acknowledge that this forum has always been about loyalty marketing. And while the old guard (myself included) are big fans of Polk, we've been pretty good at being really, really selective about our appreciation - we reminisce about past Polk products, about the LSiM line, and a LOT about other manufacturers products .
    So I wonder - does Polk want to turnover the old guard? Do they want a fresh fan base on this forum, more into the entry level and trendy consumer audio of today, not the jaded audiophiles like me who are in the minority. It seems like they are doing a masterful job if they want to upset the old forum members - even incent them to leave. Perhaps by design?
    There are strategies to celebrate new forum members - we've done a piss poor job by ourselves of celebrating newbies. Perhaps it is time to look in the mirror and ask ourselves if we've outgrown this forum and its time to invite newer, more enthusiastic, less critical members to take the front row.

While I don't think Polk would try to get us to leave, there's a lot that's true in this statement.

• vmaxer
    Options
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,916
    Options
    Let's face it guys - we have to acknowledge that this forum has always been about loyalty marketing. And while the old guard (myself included) are big fans of Polk, we've been pretty good at being really, really selective about our appreciation - we reminisce about past Polk products, about the LSiM line, and a LOT about other manufacturers products .
    So I wonder - does Polk want to turnover the old guard? Do they want a fresh fan base on this forum, more into the entry level and trendy consumer audio of today, not the jaded audiophiles like me who are in the minority. It seems like they are doing a masterful job if they want to upset the old forum members - even incent them to leave. Perhaps by design?
    There are strategies to celebrate new forum members - we've done a piss poor job by ourselves of celebrating newbies. Perhaps it is time to look in the mirror and ask ourselves if we've outgrown this forum and its time to invite newer, more enthusiastic, less critical members to take the front row.

Well said!!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    So I wonder - does Polk want to turnover the old guard? Do they want a fresh fan base on this forum, more into the entry level and trendy consumer audio of today, not the jaded audiophiles like me who are in the minority. It seems like they are doing a masterful job if they want to upset the old forum members - even incent[tivize] them to leave. Perhaps by design?
    I reckon so; although I suspect it's more evolution than expulsion.
    To quote Mssrs. Becker and Fagen:

If you listen you can hear it
    It's the laughter in the street
    It's the motion in the music
    And the fire beneath your feet
    All the signs are right this time
    You don't have to try so very hard
    If you live in this world
    You're feelin' the change of the guard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MUwTCbYKg4

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    Wow, great point anonymouse!

I must admit...I got a little of a bad taste in my mouth when I was new to the forum. If it was not for my interest in the old RT5000 speakers and the newer LSiM line I might not have hung around. Its not cool to try to sum someone up by a few posts on a forum and try to make one feel like an outsider.

Some others kind of felt the same way about the audiophile snobbery...but their opinion was expressed through private message to me.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2