Where'd all the beer threads go?

Comments

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited July 2014
    I didn't think it would ever happen but I'm addicted to Spaten Optimator at the moment and that's rare. Currently, I have a keg or Mayflower IPA and about 60 individual bottles of shtuff I've never had but the damn Optimator is ruining my life!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited August 2014
    Brother Thelonious
    American Artisan Series
    Belgian Style Abbey Ale
    North Coast Brewing Company
    Fort Bragg, California
    ABV 9.4%

Has a nice carmely flavor with the right amount of bitterness.

v0xs5qq5i5eo.jpg
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited August 2014
    Somebody left a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat in my fridge...blah... tastes like beer mixed with black cherry soda...not for me... I was looking for an Anchor Lager and they drank all of them... sonsabitches...(hmm no *******)
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • hochpt21
    edited August 2014
    Listening to B.itches Brew as I drink this Thelonious.

Life is good!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • mrbiron
    I've had the Thelonious....was quite good.

My brother showed up to my house yesterday with a 1/2 barrel of Harpoon IPA. He tells me he's too lzy to get his CO2 tank filled and that I have to finish it....dear god!!!...its basically full.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    We hit DC Brau yesterday for a tour and sampling. I tried all they had available; they were out of the session IPA brewed for DC's beer week and The Tradition. Notables for me were The Corruption IPA and a stout I can't recall the exact name of, but my favorite was the Daughters of Poseidon black oyster IPA. Great tour, too. I have been skipping them lately but I'm glad I caught this one.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • hochpt21
    mrbiron wrote: »
    I've had the Thelonious....was quite good.

My brother showed up to my house yesterday with a 1/2 barrel of Harpoon IPA. He tells me he's too lzy to get his CO2 tank filled and that I have to finish it....dear god!!!...its basically full.

Well......I guess you'll just have to get to work. A man's gotta do....
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Well not much of a beer can drinker except when I'm on the water, although some breweries swear by it. Cans don't allow light.

Anyway for fathers day the kids gave me a wooden chest variety of 20 beers....Hate it when that happens :wink:

Most were bottled except 4 cans. So I chill them today along with a pint glass (like I said, not a can man (unless she's shakin' them)) :smiley:

Popped a G Knight Imperial Red IPA. Would not consider it a true IPA, the hops were mellowed down and tasty. Has a nice smooth malty taste with light hop finish. No citrus after taste heavy IPA's tend to leave.

Long story short grab a can...I know I will

Cheers
    Ron
    2xc7tm93v7no.jpg

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • jgido759
    jgido759 Posts: 572
    I'm relatively new to the game, but I really like a lot of the beers from here:

gl9rtq9lca9d.jpg

And, the brewery is local, which is a bonus!

Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • sgtmick63
    sgtmick63 Posts: 166
    Has anyone tried the beers from Tuckerman's Brewery located in Conway, NH?
  • mrbiron
    I've had tuckermans but its been a while and can't remember if I like it or not....
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    jgido759 wrote: »
    I'm relatively new to the game, but I really like a lot of the beers from here:

gl9rtq9lca9d.jpg

And, the brewery is local, which is a bonus!

They make very good beer.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • mrbiron
    Bring back my beer!

This weekend starts my transition to STOUTS and i am amp'd! Best time of the year for beer.
    We will be tasting 8 different stouts on Saturday and i have 4 more in the on-deck circle to start my week.

Pictures to follow.

Cheers!
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    What's the lineup? Any Russian Imperials or barrel-aged?

I haven't tried it yet, take a small syringe and draw a syringe-full of beer from your glass then shoot it back into the beer, fast, do this 2-3 times.

This knocks the CO2 out of solution so it's more like a nitro poured Stout.
  • mrbiron
    I don't know what Saturdays tastings will be because I didn't pick. I only have to show up :)
    As far as what I have, only can remember three out of the four. Stones Imperial and their Coffee and the other is made by Ipswich brewing, I think its an oatmeal.

Never heard of the syringe technique before. I'll have to find one and try it.
  • mrbiron
    Not a fan of barrel aged beer. Bourbon and scotch aren't my thing so the flavors don't mesh well for me. The last stout is Victory's Stout king.

This the barrel aged night. Most favored it because they are all moonlight as scotch drinkers.
    kib3ydnzwjgx.jpg
  • mrbiron
    Last one.....the yuengling is strictly for "pallet cleansing" and not a selection. We do that with every tasting by throwing in a trash beer to clear the way for the next. Yes yuengling SUCKs......deal with it.
  • mrbiron
    Malbec wrote: »
    I haven't tried it yet, take a small syringe and draw a syringe-full of beer from your glass then shoot it back into the beer, fast, do this 2-3 times.

This knocks the CO2 out of solution so it's more like a nitro poured Stout.

There are all kinds of forum posts on this across the introweb....Every one points to positive results. I'm going to grab a kids syringe at CVS tomorrow while i order a real syringe for later. I feel like i've been missing out. Basically, suck up 1-2 ounces of beer and then force it back into the beer. If you do it more than once, it seems like you'd had a glass of head so only do it once.
  • Malbec
    Interesting that all the results were positive. My thoughts were the beer would become undercarbonated or even flat. Guess I'll have to conduct my own research.
  • mrbiron
    Well, there might of been a couple people with push back but I was amazed at the actual number of people who were already doing this. A LOT!

Makes me almost want to join a beer forum.
  • Malbec
    Two for the weekend. Buggin' out to the Daughters soon.

bmsyt9zdebsl.jpg
  • mrbiron
    I grabbed two more for sunday....
    The can cracked me up so i grabbed it.kj57nz6dtjs4.jpg
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    I'm hooked on this a the moment. Found it at a Mediterranean restaurant.
    m3hctvymz5v3.jpg
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • mrbiron
    So i will write this about the syringe method on stouts.....PHENOMENAL! I grabbed a childrens syringe at CVS which is measured in Tsps and can be adjusted from .5tsp to 2tsp.

There was quite a bit of trial and error to the process and there are conflicts of info on the www. So i first poured a 12oz can of FarmHouse Moo Thunder Stout into a pint glass. Drew about 2tsp's of beer into the syringe without air behind, held above the headless stout and let it have it. High school science project came to mind. Foamed for quite a bit and i was left with about 8oz of beer when the "event" was complete. Scratch that one, bad example.

Next we went to Founders Breakfast. I kept the setting at 2tsp and only drew 1tsp into the syringe. The plunger was then pulled to a full 2tsp (1tsp of beer and 1 tsp of air). Payload was delivered in one fell swoop......SUCCESS, kinda. It still boiled over slightly but nowhere like before. You'd really be amazed how much of a reaction you get out of 1tsp of beer being forced into a glass. You see the beer cascading down the side of the glass as the head races to settle on the top.

Now i did try the beer prior to performing the "method" and let me tell you, very noticeable difference. The head, the beer, the experience is well worth the effort. I'd suggest a pan under the glass on attempt #1 just because, i think there is the inevitability that some of the beer will be lost. Or maybe you're just amazing.......

I will post our line-up once my phone is charged. basically, i got to try this on 9 different beers (between 6-8oz sample size) and all but one had me a believer. Also, the other 9 guys in our group followed suit and were also enamored.

As always, your mileage may vary and don't take my finding as the gospel!

*breathe*
  • Malbec
    Sampled the DuClaw on tap last weekend. More towards a barley wine to me.
    Thought I'd grab a couple of bottles and age for a year.

Found the Dogfish 120 Minute last night while I was looking for some Pumpkins I haven't tried yet. I am enjoying the 120 as I type this.

The Colossus weighs in at 17.3% ABV
    Don't know what the current batch of 120 Minute is. Typically 16%-18%.

Two heavyweights for sure.

5lwa5qyj9ntr.jpg

• mrbiron
    edited October 2014
    The 120 is my all time favorite. The only issue is it is harder to come by.

It was a Guiness weekend for me

As a side note Malbec, this will be my first holiday season in 3 years that I don't get a keg of Anchors Xmas ale. To many people complained.......sad really. :wink:
    I still enjoy it. Trying to figure out my next keg as we speak.....porter or stout? Don't need nitro if I syringe every beer....
  • Malbec
    Either one would would be the right decision for me. Years ago, I had a 1/2 of Anchor Porter and at that time thought it was the best Porter I had tried.

Stone Smoked Porter is another one to seek out. Sierra Nevada makes both Porter and Stout.

For something that's a higher gravity. Stone Imperial Russian Stout hands down. If it's available in a 1/6 that would be my choice.

I tried the Sierra Nevada Narwhal Imperial Stout last week and I'll be getting more of that soon. Lip smacking good. It looks like Sierra Nevada isn't offering a Smoked Porter this year. Too bad.
  • Malbec
    Or if you're a coffee drinker

55x4rhz6a3cu.jpg