So long surround sound

RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited August 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
I've decided I'm ditching the surround sound rig, and going straight 2 ch for HT. The rear speakers are coming down, and I'm selling my B&W center channel and Onkyo receiver. I'm going to keep my sub, so I guess technically I'll be running 2.1.

I LOVE the sound of my 2ch rigs, and don't get me wrong, the HT as-is sounds pretty damn good. Everyone that has heard it has been very impressed. I'm just looking for something a little *more*- and in this case, I think less WILL be more. That, and I want to re-arrange that room, so it's more 'comfortable' instead of the everything centered and symetrical, typical HT look.

So for now, the HT rig will consist of:

ASL Tube Line stage (single 12AU7, outboard power supply)

NAD 902 30w/ch amp (made in England NAD, little bro to the famed 906)

B&W DM303 shelf speakers (6.5", 1" metal dome)

DCM Sub 712 (8" active, 12" pr, 70w B&K amp, from the 'Timewindow' days).

First time I've been actually excited about HT in a while. Can't wait to hear it with a tube in the mix.

Cheers,
Russ
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2004
    ill take the center and some cables....

Henry
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2004
    To be honest, I'm thinking of doing something similar........

I don't watch movies a whole lot and I've never found surround to be much more than a neat, gee whiz kind of thing. With the addition of the SRS 2.3tl's to my abode, I've been thinking more and more about it. Selling off the surround gear and purchasing a high tone tube pre (with remote!) and an upgraded source like a Denon universal or DVD/SACD thing. This would allow me to upgrade components in the rig and eliminate some of the wiring that I can never seem to keep managed.

Just a thought at this point though...

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited July 2004
    I've always been more than satisfied with 2-channel HT and it allows me to concentrate more money on the main speakers. I don't make the kind of money that allows me not to compromise, and I'm a fussy SOB when it comes to my music, so I've got to do the best I can with what I've got. This is easier to accomplish with a high quality 2-channel system.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited July 2004
    Good luck in finding the sound you are looking for.

For me after many hours of listening both ways, I am convinced that music should be 2 channel (or 2.1). I could subsribe to multi-channel...IF...all of the channels were coming from the front...ie: a different channel for each instrument or voice. I know that would be cost prohibitive but my point is that all of the sound should be coming from the front. I am not a purist that thinks that my music must be an exact duplication of a live concert but I have never been able to develop a taste for music coming from all around me. It is not how it was intended.

I am also convinced that HT should be surround sound....it is how it is designed to be. IMO no matter how good the sound of a stereo HT setup is you stiil lose some of the effects the rear and center channels offer.

Bottom line for me...for music it is all about the sound....for HT it is all about the experience. If done right with good gear you can have both with one system. If not...that's why we have many rooms in our homes!

I for one will be keeping my multi-channel HT setup.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited July 2004
    Bottom line for me...for music it is all about the sound....for HT it is all about the experience.

Excellent way of looking at it...
    Need two separate systems, though, if you're looking for two distinct outcomes. IMO, to experience HT, I want to lots of bass in the fronts (in addition to a sub), but for music, I'm listening for detail and musicality.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • BassHog
    BassHog Posts: 2
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by Early B.
    Excellent way of looking at it...
    Need two separate systems, though, if you're looking for two distinct outcomes. IMO, to experience HT, I want to lots of bass in the fronts (in addition to a sub), but for music, I'm listening for detail and musicality.

I disagree that you have to have two separate systems to have great music and HT. My primary system absolutely excells at both. I have Infinity Kappa 600's for my mains, Kappa 200's for surrounds, and a Kappa Center. For subs I have 2 Infinity Intermezzo 1.2s's. This system is fantastic. I use it about 50/50 for music and for HT and I don't feel compromised for either. The Kappa 600 has wonderful detail and clarity. It also happens to have a 10 inch woofer that provides extremely good bass.

The key to putting together a system that will be great for music and for HT is to start with main speakers that are great for music. After that the rest is easy. It's just a matter of choosing the matching center and surrounds for those mains. Then add a great subwoofer or two and you're set.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2004
    Here is the way I think I'm going. 2 channel setup, everything tweaked in the 2 channel way. No tradeoffs whatsoever. Now for the multichannel. It includes the center and surrounds. It has its own multichannel processor and separate amps for the center and surrounds. The front left and right outputs of the multichannel go to an aux input on the 2 channel preamp. Other than that there is no connection at all between the 2 channel setup and the multichannel. Seems like a reasonable way to have both abilities without trading anything off on the 2 channel side. My system in particular will use the SDA's for the 2 channel (front channels of the multichannel) and LSiC and LSi7's for the surround and center. With the new SL2000T drivers in the SDA's I feel they will be the proper match to go with the LSi series. I think in this way I give up nothing for 2 channel and only very little for multichannel.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited August 2004
    Congrats on the upgrade Russ. I've been doing 2ch HT for some time and am fairly happy with the results. Someday I might go back to 5.1, but I'll have tubes on the mains atleast.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited August 2004
    Sounds cool. I lived with a 2ch HT for about a year but for some reason I like the bells and whistles when it comes to HT. I'm very serious about my 2ch, but when it comes to HT, I want my system to go BOOM!.

Have you thought about doing your 2ch HT in the cave with the big boys?

Maurice
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2004
    No way man, there will NEVER be a TV in the same room as the SRS, NEVER.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited August 2004
    Yeah, that's a serious room. I can see why you wouldn't want a TV in there. I actually get better sound when I cover up my TV with a THICK blanket during 2ch listening.

Maurice
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by organ
    I actually get better sound when I cover up my TV with a THICK blanket during 2ch listening.

:D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    edited August 2004
    A big flat, reflective surface between your speakers is NOT a good thing. I'm not suprised you hear a difference, I know a lot of guys that do JUST that when it's time for tunes.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2004
    That is why I like projectors :)
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited August 2004
    I also throw a blanket over my TV during music listening, and have the speaker baffles about 4" in front of the screen. I also have pillows/blankets stuffed in the cabinets of the entertainment center to tame resonances from the cabinet.

The new house won't have the same issues as I'll be going to an open rack, the oak center will be going into the office.

2-channel forever! :D
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by shack
    I am also convinced that HT should be surround sound....it is how it is designed to be.
    Bottom line for me...for music it is all about the sound....for HT it is all about the experience.

Took the words out of my mouth. I completely understand what is being said, but I just cannot imagine movies with outstanding surround tracks having nearly the same experience. For example, what would Master and Commander be like in stereo? Its use of surrounds was one of the best, and I wouldn't want to listen to it in stereo intentionally. Good luck with your results though.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2004
    Have you thought about doing your 2ch HT in the cave with the big boys

Not picking on organ but if I had a nickle for every time I heard, after giving a mancave demo, "all you are missing in here is a big screen TV". Makes me want to beat the CRAP out of someone.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited August 2004
    Hey, whaddaya gonna do with that monster sub????:D
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited August 2004
    I agree that 2 Ch kicks the crap out of a receiver/pre-amp processed multi-channel signal, but I have become quite fond of some of the mixes off of SACD's. The people mixing the SACD's are very talented, so as where a DSP processor is just sending portions of the main signal with delays or echo effect to the rear, the SACD often sends completely unique passages of music or vocals exclusively to the rears creating a feel of being in the center of the stage. Very cool on some recordings. I never used the rears except for movies before the SACD player.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.