"lottery"

Options
Found out today that my former employer First Union/Wachovia/Wells Fargo has discontinued the pension plan so no pension for me, HOWEVER I will be getting $41,336,79 popped into my account in October!! Looking for ideas on good used sporty type coupes around $15-20,000 then I will invest the rest of the cash. All input is appreciated

Comments

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    I got a lil sporty coupe and for a small fee I'll drive you around :)
    Anything that sits low and goes fast... Corvette maybe?
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Oops. Forgot to say "sorry" about the pension thing..
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Don't waste money on a car. Buy a nice stereo. You can enjoy that 24/7 the rest of your life.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Mike Kozak
    Mike Kozak Posts: 930
    Options
    I have a great rig, Yamaha 7.1, Polk Monitor 70s, POlk sub, xbox one, 50 panny viera plasma. My car is beat, getting newer wheels for sure lasik also
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    $41 million?! I'm sure that last comma was suppose to be a period. ;)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,120
    edited August 2014
    Options
    PFB has a little Porsche he might want to sell. I understand it has turned him into a chick magnet, or maybe it turned him INTO a chick. I forget which...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Mike Kozak
    Options
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,987
    Options
    Dude how old are you? Unless you're under 30 that should all go into retirement. And yes u did ask for financial advice on an audio forum...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Thumbs up on the lasik..
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Dude how old are you? Unless you're under 30 that should all go into retirement. And yes u did ask for financial advice on an audio forum...

Exactly, and a good stereo is a requirement for a happy retirement. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Mike Kozak
    Options
    51 yrs wise so I think I know what I want to do with MY money.
  • Mike Kozak
    Options
    now I sorry I posted
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

He didn't ask for financial advice he asked about a "used 16-20k sporty coupe"

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    In that price range I'd look at a used Infiniti G37 in good condition. You could always get a used Mustang or something along those lines, but probably a better chance that car has been run ragged. The Infiniti will be a better car to start with and probably better taken care of. There isn't really a Lexus that you can buy in that price range today that I'd call sporty, that'll change in a couple years when the new models on the road for the last couple years start to show up on the used market. You can also look at a BMW 3 Series used, but be careful buying a used BMW.

There are others out there, but if someone handed me a check for 20K and said go buy as much 'sporty couple' as you can for that money, I'd end up with an Infiniti G37.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Options
    PFB's Porsche!
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Options
    PFB has a little Porsche he might want to sell. I understand it has turned him into a chick magnet, or maybe it turned him INTO a chick. I forget which...

Damn it John! You beat me to it! ;)B)
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    Options
    G37, Bmw 135, FR-S/BRZ

For the 135, if you get something pre-2010, it has a true twin turbo N54 engine (instead of the dual scroll "twinpower" N55 engine in 2011+). The plus for the N54 is that it can be tuned to nearly 400hp with out a ton of investment. The minus is that the high pressure fuel pump is known to be faulty (but they extended the warranty to ten years) and the fuel efficiency is worse than the N55.

Of the three, the 135 is probably the best all-around drive, but worst investment. The FR-S/BRZ is stupid fun to get sideways, and at legal speeds you probably won't need the additional power the other two have... But if you want to go 75-90 to whip around someone on the highway, it just doesn't have the same pull as the other two. G37 is perfectly fine... It just didn't give me the same "does exactly what I want it to" feeling of the others.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • Mike Kozak
    Options
    I got it, 67 corvette, 427 tri-power with side exhausts....
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I agree on the g37. I have a g35 coupe and love it.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,071
    edited August 2014
    Options
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    Options
    I'd go for a classic, at least in ten years you should be able to get out of it what you have in it. Rest of the suggestions, I wouldn't think so.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Mike Kozak wrote: »
    I got it, 67 corvette, 427 tri-power with side exhausts....

You bought it...or thinking about it ?

You never specified if this is going to be a weekend driver or a daily driver. For a daily driver, the G37 suggestion is probably spot on. For something your going to drive only on sunny days once in awhile, I'd go classic car. Be careful though, classic cars on the used market can get expensive or don't have matching numbers knocking down their values.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Options
    How about looking for a good used Honda S2000.
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • unc2701
    Options
    Yeah, my 335's interior feels cheap and I hate the cup holders with a passion. The back seat isn't terrible (it's the sedan), and only the kid is back there most days.

On the plus side, the engine PULLS. The 300 ft lbs of torque come on at about 2000rpm and it's flat practically to redline. The other thing is the car just feels planted at any speed- 90 feels like 60 (which can be a problem). The 135 is the same, but with a lot less weight. The thing is a blast, but the back seat is worthless.

Classic car is good if you're the sort of person that can and will do the maintenance yourself. Otherwise it'll be a money pit and the prices on anything fun have jumped to the point of being a terrible investment due to baby boomers buying their teenage dreams.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2014
    Options
    On the classic/collector side of things, the 68/72 Corvettes are pretty good choices right now, as would be the 82 Collector Editions. Others to consider in my book would be a Buick Grand National from 1987 or the "Bandit" Trans Am. Also, I see some upside in cars like the Chrysler Crossfire SRT convertible and the Prowler...

Any of these cars can be had in your 20k budget, and all of them will do nothing but go up over the next decade. They may actually be a better investment than dumping your money back into the market.

If you go "all in" you can even find a Ferrari 308/328 or a Porsche 928 S4. These cars have also been climbing quickly, and will likely outpace any domestic classic.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-308-GTSi-1980-Ferrari-308-GTSi-Yellow-Very-Good-Condition-Full-Records-/231312457585?forcerrptr=true&hash=item35db4bff71&item=231312457585&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Trans-Am-BANDIT-CAR-6-6L-400-CID-V8-AUTO-PS-PB-VERY-SHARP-/271569466381?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3f3acd340d&item=271569466381&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Corvette-collectors-edition-1982-chevrolet-corvette-collectors-edition-/251622684192?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3a95e17620&item=251622684192&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-Grand-National-Modified-1987-buick-grand-national-t-tops-46-500-original-miles-/321494619053?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4ada9293ad&item=321494619053&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Corvette-BLACK-1970-corvette-match-350-350-hp-4-speed-/121409116027?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c448c177b&item=121409116027&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Crossfire-SRT-6-Coupe-2-Door-2005-chrysler-crossfire-srt-6-coupe-completely-refurbished-/271580123168?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3f3b6fd020&item=271580123168&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Prowler-2dr-Roadster-2001-chysler-prowler-convertible-rare-limited-collectable-roadster-/171414799599?forcerrptr=true&hash=item27e91e44ef&item=171414799599&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    From the older Corvette aspect, I would hope a buyer is well versed in the "numbers matching aspect ". The older Vettes are probably the most counterfeited car on the planet when it comes to #'s matching. We all know there are more 427/435's than were ever produced.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    True, but for the C2 cars, they will be desirable 100 years from now. I have found 63/67 cars that can be had in the OP's range as well, though they are the more common low-powered versions. Some really nice cars out there for 20k if you go classic.

• unc2701
    Options
    308: over budget, you'll need to set aside another 10k for repairs& maintenance and a Camry is faster. But it is gorgeous until the timing belt and/or tensioner bearing fail.

928: I do like this. Probably under budget, set aside the difference for repairs. Every bit as fast & fun as a g37 or 135. And v8 exhaust note! People are starting to catch on to this, expect a good ROI, especially if you replace fuel lines & some other common issues.

Buick: you'll get a lot of respect from car guys. Everyone else will think it's ugly and redneck. This and the 928 probably have the best chances of going up.

The rest are too mid-life-crisis in my opinion, but everyone has their own taste.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    All this advice and Mike has yet to comment. :(